[Reader-list] Ravi's "Recycling Modernity" paper

Arun Mehta indata at satyam.net.in
Tue Apr 3 12:34:20 IST 2001

One of the objectives of the reader-list is to discuss the excellent papers
in the Sarai Reader. Here's my first salvo, I hope others join in before my
enthusiasm sags.

Ravi's excellent paper describes very well the dichotomy between the
techno-elites and the critical underbelly of our IT revolution. On the one
hand, you have "young, upper-caste, often English-speaking programmers in
large metropoles", and on the other the "dark seedy cluster of grey
concrete blocks, which is filled with small shops devoted to the computer
trade. Present here are the agents of large corporations, as also software
pirates, spare parts dealers, electronic smugglers, and wheeler-dealers of
every kind in the computer world." Both sets have their problems.

The techno-elites are tied into "traditional patterns of unequal exchange.
Indian programmers offer a low-cost solution to the problems of
transnational corporations. Indian software solutions occupy the lower end
of the global virtual commodity chain, just as cotton farmers in South Asia
did in the 19th century, where they would supply Manchester mills with
produce." At the lower end, I might add, we will face increasing
competition from countries like China, and also obsolescence -- much of the
Y2K work we got, for instance, was in languages like Cobol, which provide
no future.

On the other hand, the grey market, or 'pirate' electronic space, "only
reconfirms older patters of unequal exchange and world inequality... this
means ... no control over the key processes of electronic production." This
segment consists largely of computer semi-literates, where there is an
inordinate amount of waste. Perfectly functional cards are ripped apart
merely because nobody bothered to keep the manuals or read them. While a
throw-away culture may be common in the West, it certainly isn't here. In a
country where computers are scarce, this waste is criminal.

Through the eyes of an activist, however, problems become opportunities,
and this is where Sarai should fit in.

Firstly, the effort must be made to break the caste barrier in IT. There is
no reason why poor kids could not make great programmers, and I would urge
the cyber-mohalla concept to encompass the IT education of poor and street
kids as well. Conventional IT education is doing a terrible job -- which is
mostly why we find ourselves at the lower end of the cyber ladder, so this
presents us with the opportunity to show the way for other IT training
institutions as well. We are currently discussing on the linux-delhi list
if there might be ways in which the linux community (which Sarai is ably
supporting) might actively engage in training people in the process of
bringing them into its fold -- get them involved in collaborative projects
on the Net, provide a backup to each other and an environment in which
everybody learns. More on that soon.

As regards helping the grey market, perhaps we could, together with
organisations like C-Sec at Delhi University that engage in hardware
design, look to see if better training programmes might be developed for
people working there. Perhaps a library of all the cards that are sold in
the grey market, with digital photographs to help identify them, and some
training on how to make and change settings? To help them get some degree
of control over the processes of electronic production, perhaps we can look
to see if projects could be initiated to add value to old hardware. For
instance old hard disks of half a GB are almost useless these days, but
with a suitable docking station, they could make excellent mobile storage.
Individuals might not need to buy computers of their own, just their own
hard disks, which they could simply plug into suitable machines at cyber
cafes or schools. I'm sure people can think up other such interesting
projects, that might help turn assemblers into proper manufacturers.

The hardware sector has a more serious fundamental problem. The
attractiveness of the computer software profession has denuded other
engineering disciplines of qualified professionals. Hardware design skills
are virtually absent now. With the increasing importance of embedded
systems, and as industrial equipment becomes increasingly Internet-aware,
hardware design skills will be much in demand. Here we need not only the
availability of suitable training courses, but also an awareness campaign
among the young, so that bright kids opt for them.

Thoughts?

Arun Mehta, B-69, Lajpat Nagar-I, New Delhi -- 110024, India. Phone
+91-11-6841172, 6849103.  http://members.tripod.com/india_gii To join
india-gii, a list which discusses India's bumpy progress on the global
infohighway, mail india-gii-subscribe at cpsr.org