[Reader-list] Tools, Regulations and Space

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Apr 30 12:00:26 IST 2001

This is in response to Jeebesh's and Rana's recent writing about tools and
regulations. I think the interesting thing that Rana is pointing out is
that the real issue that bothers power (corporate or state) is the
formation of ungovernable communities itself and the proliferation of
horizontal as opposed to vertical communities. That this is done in the
name of content is another issue.

An interesting sidelight on this is that in a recent presentationon law and
the city in CSDS, DElhi we came to know that sixty percent of Delhi's
population is involved either in illegal occupation of space, or illegal
pursuit of trades, or is consuming illegal products. The entire spectrum of
daily life is enmehed in notions of illicit and illegal
spaces/trades/communications. The state and coproate interests can police
the interent in the way that they do, because the methodology of control
that they deploy has already been tried and tested on the streets. This
seems to suggest to me that those keen on ensuring that the net stays a
free space need to give some attention to the erosion of everyday libverty
in the offline world. Of course it goes without saying that those who work
in the sphere of civil liberties 'offline' would run the risk of a certain
'scotoma' an unwillingness to see what is in fornt of thewir eyes if they
do not recognioze that the sophisticated methods of surveillance that are
being developed in cyberspace will not also impinge on daily life. At
present there seems to be a huge gulf betweeen the discussion on online and
offline liberty. Any ideas on how we can bridge this gap? Or is it worth
trying at all? Anything for a little bit of free and fresh air in 'cspace' ?

Cheers

Shuddha

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
SARAI: The New Media Initiative
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
29, Rajpur Road, Delhi 110 052, India
www.sarai.net