[Reader-list] uncomfortable proximity

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Mon Apr 30 12:49:28 IST 2001

Below is Graham Harwood's extended piece on his work "Uncomfortable
Proximity", available online at
http://www.tate.org.uk/home/default.htm (his page comes up
automatically in a while). "Uncomfortable Proximity" is the title of
an on-line project which mirrors the Tate's own web-site, but offers
new images and ideas, collaged from his own experiences, his readings
of Tate works and publicity materials and his interest in the Tate
Britain site. Related critical texts by Matthew Fuller are in the
Connections section of the Tate web-site

Uncomfortable Proximity
by Graham Harwood

Tate Britain: the 500 year old home of tasty babes, luxury goods, own
goals and the psychological prop of the British social elite

When asked to create a new website by Matthew Gansallo of the Tate, I
found myself awkwardly situated by my admiration for parts of the
collection and my equal disdain for the social values that framed it
and much of its art. This work forced me into an uncomfortable
proximity with the economic and social elite's use of aesthetics in
their ascendancy to power. I was delighted with the creative power
and imagination of the artists in the Tate collection - I enjoyed the
information contained in the works, whether it was aesthetic
formalism, mathematical structures of perception, raw emotion,
opto-chemical reactions of light across time or the social history
they contain. But when I stepped outside the temple and smelt the
filth of the Thames, I was reminded that down there - in the silt -
under the stones - beneath the floor - lay the true costs of such a
delight.
The tragedy of any social elite's possession of public creativity and
imagination has led me to try and trace at least two threads of this
elite's ascendancy in present history. The first involves mapping the
rituals of tastefulness, the distance it creates from the uninspired
Victorian mob, the language and manners of the tasteful, and the
inherent hypocrisy that this implies. The second centres on the
histories of different peoples, my friends and family, either
ascendant, static or uncounted, which recognize themselves in terms
of that tastefulness, or in reaction to it, and act accordingly.
The Tate's scrapbook of British pictorial history has many missing
pages, either torn out through revision, or self-censored before the
first sketch. Those that did make it created the cultural cosmetics
of peoples profiting from slavery, migrant labour, colonization and
transportation. Clearly the images in the historic collection and the
image of the Tate itself are pregnant with the past's cosmetic
cultural surgery: made ready for the shopping lists of the future.
The skin of these paintings was stretched over a psychological frame
- a shield against which were thrown the filthy, diseased, rotting
corpses of daily life, profit and excess. The scrapbook's scalpelled
pages will never be found - but they articulate in their absence the
political and economic relations of that society and ours. While the
Tate cannot ever be fully inclusive of those histories that run
counter to its own, it can at least be a site of critical
participation in the present history of the cultural cosmetics of
these islands. From adolescence I had visited the Tate, read the art
books and pulled a forelock in the direction of the cult of genius -
on cue relegating my own creativity to the Victorian image of the
rabid dog. We know well enough that this is how it was supposed to
be. The historical literature on 'rational recreations' states that
museums were envisaged as a means of exposing the working classes to
the improving mental influence of middle class culture. I was being
inoculated for the cultural health of the nation.
Tate Britain stands on the site of Millbank penitentiary - and parts
of the prison are incorporated within its own structure. The drains
that run from the building to the Thames, a stone's through away,
bleed this decay into the city's silt. By 1776, transportation to the
New World had been interrupted by the American War of Independence
and so instead, old sailing ships known as hulks were dragged up the
Thames and stuffed with up to 70,000 prisoners. This 'expedient'
lasted till 1859. In 1779 the government introduced an Act which
created a new form of hard labour for prisoners. They began by
dredging the river Thames - a profitable precursor to expanding trade
with the colonies - and made provision for building Millbank
penitentiary.
The penitentiary was the largest in Europe, and it became the 19th
century's cesspit for the rowdiest of political mobs. Henry James
visited the prison in 1884, and later wrote it into his novel The
Princess Casamassina (1886): "brown, bare, windowless walls, ugly,
truncated pinnacles and a character unspeakably sad and stern. It
looked very sinister and wicked, to Miss Pynsent's eyes, and she
wondered why a prison should have such an evil air if it was erected
in the interest of justice and order...it threw a blight on the face
of the day, making the river seem foul and poisonous." In the 19th
century, as today, there was considerable delay in government
building programmes.
Before the birth of the prisons, punishment was a public display of
civic power: executions, floggings, disembowelling in the street.
Worried that these overt displays were a source of contention to the
mob and that public order was threatened in various ways, parliament
detached punishment from the public gaze and put it into prisons.
Millbank penitentiary finally opened in 1817. A convict at this time
was stripped, shaven and sentenced to penal servitude, not
imprisonment, and spent the first nine months of the sentence in
solitary confinement.
Middle class society increasingly condemned the poor as products of
their own low and immoral natures, and in 1834 the Poor Law was
introduced, in which Disraeli announced to the world "that in England
poverty is a crime". Other opinion of the time wrote off the poor as
"mere human street-sweepings" who "serve as manure to the future
crime-crop of the country". The main view of the ascendant middle
class was that the poor existed beyond the farthest reaches of
civilized, art-loving society and were an indolent, ignorant,
degraded, criminalized sub-race. These views were structured into
science by, amongst others, Beddoe, a future president of the
Anthropological Institute.
Liberals, believing in the 'levelling-up' theory (that the labourer
would emulate the artisan) dwelt upon the possibility of teaching
even the lowest the virtues and satisfactions of self-help. The
liberal elite of the mid and late 19th century put their faith in the
new persuasive power of museums, schools and public parks. Thus, the
birth of museums became a complement to the birth of prisons. The
museum, then as now, provided a mechanism for the transformation of
the crowd into an ordered and, ideally, self-regulating public. The
democratic education of the mob was an attempt to addict them to the
aspirational tastefulness of Victorian society. For the new social
elite, sharing what had previously been private, exposing what had
been concealed, became a totem of progressiveness.
The Tate, with a more or less free admission policy, provided a
solution to the social chaos of the street: a site where bodies,
constantly under surveillance, could be rendered docile through
exposure to Gainsborough, Turner and Hogarth (instead of the jailer's
whip and bludgeon). If the prison changed you through discipline and
punishment, then the museum was a way of showing you how to look and
learn. The purpose was not to know about people's culture - but to
address people as the subjects of that culture; not to make the
population visible to power - but to render power visible to the
people and, at
the same time, to represent to them that power as if it were their
own. The museum became, and is still, a technical solution to the
problem of displaying wealth and power without the attendant risks of
social disorder.
Emerging social elites still appear to find it necessary to justify
their 'natural' right to wealth and privilege. This is done in many
ways. The one that interests us here is the use of aesthetics to
negotiate the social positions of new economic forces. As class
compositions change, new economic forces take over the mantle of
British taste. Each succeeding social elite must have its own art,
its own brand around which secret codes and systems of value can be
exchanged. This is usually in the form of what is to be tolerated and
what is not, what's in and what's out, who's in and who's out. New
money needs to be part of history. With money you can buy your way
into art history. With even more money you can shape the future of
that history: as the Tate Modern, Britain's newest national museum of
modern art, is attempting to do. From its beginning, the Tate has
supported the taste values of whichever social elite is
contemporarily emerging. In this work, I have tried to play with the
broken links within the Tate's collection, grafting on the skins of
people who are close to me, dragging parts of the collection through
the mud of the Thames, and infecting some of it with a relevant
disease.
--
Monica Narula
Sarai:The New Media Initiative