[Reader-list] Net activism and rules of the new actonomy

Joe Joe Harding joe_tantine at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 15:40:37 IST 2001

Jeebesh writes:

>This is a very intriguing problem.

>Post second world war we witness a rapid increase in
the intensity of
>production and also one sees a phenomenal growth in
the apparatus and
>rationalization of surveillance. So at one level we
can say that
>increase in productivity is directly linked with
surveillance (at
>least on the shopfloor and transportation areas). i.e
if you relax
>this level of surveillance the productivity will
fall. This argument
>connects surveillance with resistances and maps the
invisible hidden
>transcript of resistance by the level of
surveillance.

>But one can also argue that surveillance and legality
are the two
>sides of the same coin and would underpin most acts
of control and
>productivity. The orange metaphor explains this best.

Agreed this is an intriguing problem. But the dice of
evidence is loaded on the 'orange squeezing' metaphor.
But let this problem remain were it stands or rather
limps.

>The question remains: How do we negotiate the complex
web of
>surveillance and legality at an everyday level? and
will not these
>negotiations be contingent and provisional and thus
difficult to
>bring under the question of "whys"?

The negotiation of the web of surveillance and
legality
is performed by everyone on a routine basis. That is
the knee jerk reaction. And this constitute the hidden

transcripts of resistance. But if the resistance is to
take a cohesive form, than it needs to have a why.
There lies the importance of theorization and
linkages,
virtual or real.

Resiantance always was, is, always will be.

All thoughts of resistance has an attempt towards
cohesion. And that is the basis of dialogue and
conversations. An attempt towards a more free world,
say.

The tentativeness of whys can give rise to a cohesive,
or collaboratice or concordant why.

Joe Joe Harding