[Reader-list] alternative medical practice

Joy Chatterjee joy at sarai.net
Fri Aug 3 11:57:58 IST 2001

Medicine is one of the most controversial issues in present day world.
Actually like any other business medical is also a very profitable and
flourishing business. Thus making medical treatment expensive and
inaccessible. But for last few years lots of people are looking for
alternative medical practices and therapy. I am trying to collect
information about alternative indigenous forms of medical practices.
Specially happening in South East Asia. Like in West Bengal there is a
doctor who practices in a village and he has very interesting method of
treatment. He prescribes Ilish macch bhaja (Hilsa fish fry) to a cholera
patient and many such things! Effect of these medical practices can be
explained in two ways. Either by scientific explanation or by collecting
data of outcome of such practice which does not have explainable scientific
procedure.

If anybody can give me such information or tell me where I can get such
information, that will be of great help.

Actually I had been thinking of creating a freely available online database
of such information but due to laziness could not initiate. I think this
mail will push me to materialise my plan.

Joy