[Reader-list] Re: WB Govt ties up with MSFT

Raju Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Sun Aug 5 20:37:58 IST 2001

Hi Menso,

I agree that security is the user/administrator's responsibility and
it doesn't matter how many patches MS releases unless the admins are
clued in enough to download and install them.  OTOH, we must also
consider the following:

1.  MS seems to have perennial problems with buffer overflows.  One
would have thought that after the first 100 or so they'd have the
decency to sit down and audit their complete code base and remove all
the buffer overflows they can find, but their attitude seems to be
(and it's valid, from a twisted perspective) that if they deploy the
same engineers in creating new code they can get (buggy) products to
market faster and make more money.  I have nothing against buggy
software.  I /am/ strongly against a corporation which puts the
security and stability of its users and clients second to anything at
all.

2.  The Code Red worm was caught early, but there have been other ones
(and will continue to be more) which have slipped in before anyone in
the MS or security communities saw them.  These will continue to wreak
havoc with the world's computing infrastructure.

3.  MS' own policies deter a propagation of equally effective,
competing products.  Make a Pine/Mutt/Elm/VM/GNUS/Kmail worm and you
hit maybe 10% of the Linux community.  Make an Outlook Express bug and
you hit 99% of Windows users.  Similarly, due to the open nature of
the environment there are many competing browsers on Linux but only
one feasible one on Windows.  Thus MS' policy of stifling competition
indirectly contributes to the ease with which virii and worms
propagate on MS platforms.

For a more fascist way to handle the dumb sysadmin problem, please see
my (tongue-in-cheek) article Standardise and be Damned:

   http://www.linux.com/newsitem.phtml?sid=93&aid=8568

Regards,

-- Raju

--