[Reader-list] Re: WB Govt ties up with MSFT

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Tue Aug 7 15:08:29 IST 2001

It is important to recognize that the explosion and expansion of
computers in India has happened because of thousands of small
entrepreneurs and technicians. These people through innovation and
`illegal sharing` or  `restricted copying`  have helped the community
of computer users to grow.

I think if the `free software users and activists` recognize this and
act with respect towards this vast section, make available easy GUI
documentation, installations and information then GNU/Linux or other
`free` alternatives will flow in streets and lanes.

Due to the peculiar spatial concentration of vendors (e.g Nehru
Place), information and utilities spread really fast - also people
are innovative and are tired of NASSCOM threats!

All this talk about 'e-governance' should be taken with a pinch of
salt. We have very few rights in terms of accessing information from
the State and all this talk about e-governance is a smoke screen to
create a new legitimacy for itself. They are not serious about it and
OS freedom is the least of the problem!

Has anyone in the list gone through computer books and CDs supplied
to schools these days? Lots of people are making lots of money and
our poor students are struggling to remember by rote paragraphs on
the mouse, scanner, printer, hard disk etc., etc.! Actually it would
be quite funny if it wasn't so pathetic...

Cheers
Jeebesh