[Reader-list] Fwd:"Dear Diary" FROM "US ka IT savvy Desi"

Joy Chatterjee joy at sarai.net
Wed Aug 8 13:55:15 IST 2001

January 2000
Love my new job in Silicon Valley. My salary is 30% higher! I have stock
options! The temperature outside is 65F in winter! California
is the best place on earth!!! I love America!! Sure glad I moved out
here. America is Paradise

February
Still looking for an apartment. Freeways everywhere to take you
places. Love California!

March
Found a 1-bedroom apartment for $1900/mo. California is a bit more
expensive than I thought. Life is good in US.

April
Gas hit $2.29/gal. Somebody stole the gas from my car.
That sucks....

May
A small earthquake! And this is what everyone was so worried about?
Almost didn't feel it.

June
A wild forest fire and a mud slide near LA. Who cares, that is far away
from me!

July
A big earthquake... Spent 4 hours in my bathtub. Boy, that was scary.
Glad we didn't have no stinking earthquakes where I grew up.

August
Drought! They turn on the water once a day. This sucks big time!
Somebody stole the water from my car's radiator. Why did I come to
California?

September
Decided to buy a house. Found a 2-bedroom fixer-upper for $800K. Borrowed
against my stock options for down payment. Freeway traffic
is worse. Today it took nearly two hours to get to and from work...each
way.

October
My startup fired 90% of the work force, including me.
The stock lost 98% of its value. My options are underwater.

November
Had to sell my house. Couldn't make the payments. Found a studio
apartment for $2300/mo. The traffic is unbearable

December
Problems with electricity. They turn the electricity off several
times a day. It's called "rolling blackouts." Somebody stole my car
battery...what do I do now?

January 2001
I'm typing this, stuck in an elevator, in complete darkness. The
battery of my laptop is dying. Silicon Valley is no more. Angry hordes of
former dot-commers are looting in the dark.
It was fun while it lasted.

February
Trying hard to get H1B Sponsorer. No body is ready to sponsor me.
Everybody says they will sponsor me once if I get project. Interviews
are happening but no result, or no budget or Project is on hold.

March
No money to pay rent, car loan and cell phone bills, managed to pay
bills with creditcards. Took some cash advance from creditcard companies
and bought ticket to India. Taking new credit cards as lot
of promotions and every credit card company wants to give me credit
card. So why not take it.

April
Did lot of shopping with credit cards, the day of my returning to
home has come, I went to airport and called Car Finance Co (DCU) to
repossess their car which is parked in airport as I cannot pay loan
any more. I put the phone down before they were about to tell something.
Sat down in the flight and what a relief.

May
Back in Hyderabad, Sent resume with US in Bold letters and went job
hunting. Couple of companies who advertised for jobs has clearly written in
Bold letters "Applicants with US Experience will NOT be
considered for this position"

June
No job. Getting frustrated. Today morning I woke up and my mind is very
fresh. I have decided to do what my father asked to do 6 Years back i.e to
take care of them and take care of the buffaloes in my village !!

I can be reached at:
73, Santosh Towers, Lokhandwala, Andheri (W), Bombay-53

98202 29317