[Reader-list] Loneliness of a Long Distance Bihari

Ravikant ravikant at sarai.net
Thu Aug 16 18:07:02 IST 2001

Here is another. Remembered village in a city. Enjoy
ravikant

Loneliness of a Long Distance Bihari

an essay by
Tarun Bhartiya

1.

Childhood contrary to all expectations can be, and is, cruel. That too if you
encounter those heavily unpopular bleeders called Bengalis. My father in all
his wisdom, inspired, no doubt, by that crazy little thing called career, had
decided to relocate.
Shillong. 1980.
Me - only ten and with little experience of anything but Patna, Kanpur and
Ranchi. A little bit of Hindi, a lot of Maithili and no English apart from
that usual translation stuff. Translate: Gaya, Gaya gaya so gaya hi rah gaya.
Gaya went to Gaya and remained there. Meaning, I had had the usual Bihari
childhood with two tiny twists, we spoke Maithili and whenever someone
confounded by my name Tarun Bhartiya, asked me about my caste, I was supposed
to answer, Jaat Paat pooche na koi, hari ke bhaje so hari ke hoe (Don't
inquire of someone's caste, one who worships the God belong's to the caste of
the God). I was ten and all of it was a game.
Reaching for childhood memories may be and should be suspect, a retrieval of
make believe. But there is no other way of discoursing on my Bihari status
except to be reminded of that in moments of ex-girlfriend(s) crisis. You
unfeeling uncouth Bihari. Great.
Thus, in the one upman(child)ships of school, this gang of Sylhetis would
corner me with incessant banter about Bengali greatness... Tagore, Bose -
Jagdishchandra and Subhash, Vivekanand, Mithun ... I would mumble Rajendra
Prasad, and (through their protests) Vidyapati, trying to stand my ground. It
became an obsession. Worming through books, pestering my father, troubling my
mother to excavate and resurrect Bihari Heroes.
Any identity which had come into its own, needed objective constructs of
Great Men (mostly) and women - a pantheon to look up to. But my under -
duress education in Bihari hagiography would hit its first roadblock, when I
was made to confront the proletarian nature of Bihari presence in Shillong.
Shillong's milk trade, Aaloo Moori stalls and Paan kiosks were at that time,
I'm talking about the eighties, exclusively under Bihari control, Biharis
from Vaishali, I think.
I could have been the eldest son of a university professor, but for most of
my classmates I was a crypto-doodhwaala. I could have escaped such an
ignominious fate by claiming to be a 'Hindi', a euphemism for a non-Bihari
Hindi speaker, and dissociating myself from the mucky world of Bihar, as one
or two of my friends, whom I knew to be true blue-blooded Bihari, would do.
And under the fake rubric of Hindiwallahs, turn against me with a vengeance.
These were pre-Laloo Prasad Yadav times. These were also pre-Mandal times.
These were most definitely pre-Macdonald times.
In a strange reversal of shame, I became vulgar and arrogant. If being a
Bihari was rude crude, so be it. If one had no heroes, so much better. I had
no Tagore ass to kiss. We are like this only. The democracy of such an
illicit identity should not escape you.
More than a Bihari, I started being a Shillong Kid. Beer and Beatles. But
included my Bihariness as a part of my street cred, a style, as chic. In any
event, my wide-mouth-way of speaking English would have given me away.
PO-TA-TO instead of patato. One-ly or I mean 'only' extreme colonising of my
tongue would have rubbed off my origins. Peppering my conversations with
linguistic and aural references to Bihar and Biharis turned from necessity to
convenience. An ability which matured into a finely honed performance art in
Delhi. A Non Resident Bihari from Shillong to A Non Resident Bihari in Delhi.

2.

Delhi University’s North Campus was like sojourning in Bihar. Multiplicity of
accents, accenting castes and places. No one was a Bihari and everyone was.
He was a Kayastha, and She a Notredam educated Bhumihaar. And I, a person
with a Bihari accent, a curious name and claims to have  grown up in Silong
or Shillong. Most probably a Backward, or why else would I walk around with a
name like Tarun Bhartiya, flirt with leftish politics and treat General
Studies as a philosophical state rather than UPSC tool. I was confused,
mightily confused.
Here I was, no longer an outsider as in Shillong where for the majority I was
an agent of the exploitative outsider or a crypto-doodhwaala. I was no longer
looking for heroes to admire, just styling myself after revolutionaries and
browsing for women to woo and wed. I soon discovered Bihari girls were out of
my reach. Not that they were uptight, but the cryptic caste status of my name
made them wary. They were ready to indulge in torrid affairs with men whom
they shared surnames with, so that the fathers would have no moral, social
and political quandary over the fate of the daughters. And why not ?  Who
wants their daughter wedding some low caste fool. I am sure there were
exceptions lurking somewhere and the same could be said about Tamils or
Haryanvis, but what would a Bihari see except a Bihari.
Or else, one could derive courage from the University toppers, IAS officers,
managers, all the achievements of a modern community. Such a state of things
had started making Dilliwaalas jealous. How could the mucky state of Bihar
send forth such successful individuals. Oriyas had their fruits of praise
too, but they refused to stand out. They loved their silence and DOSA (Delhi
Oriya Students Association).
The difficulty for the Delhi Middle class (incidentally either immigrants or
refugees) was reconciling poverty and a violence stricken space with a
confident successful community. Biharis were not going to treat themselves as
guests of Delhi but would take over the urbanity of the place as its
primordial residents.
But this segregation could break down, as it did during the Mandir and Anti -
Mandal Madness, especially the latter. The prim and proper Delhi Middle class
could be seen exchanging political notes with upper-caste uncouth Biharis.
They shared their just-beneath- the-surface caste chauvinisms on Kranti Chowk
(Revolution Square), a chowk of Brown-shirted counter-revolutionaries.
And I got  beaten up by my brethren. Just one incident on their road to
Kranti Chowk. It was again my name and my refusal to tow their political
line. But with hindsight, it was my name which aroused their wrath. More than
the physical pain, it was my middle class pride which got hurt. Those uncouth
people, how dare they touch me. Me, the English speaking hipster from
Shillong. Then my snobbish self-indulgence was sobered by the arrival of
caste segregation at the mess tables in these posh environs of the campus
college hostels.
As the leftish cosmopolitan conglomerate, we were used to sitting together
away from the lunacies of Begusarai, Patna, Ranchi, and Darbhanga, but
suddenly we were forced to conjoin our mealtimes with outcastes and backwards
from Begusarai, Patna, Ranchi, and Darbhanga. If you were Manoj Yadav you no
longer partook your aaloo-paratha with that school friend Bhuso or Bhaskar
Sinha from Begusarai. And if you were also Manoj Yadav who flirted with
leftism, it was better that you left Delhi for Begusarai for the period of
the Agitation.
It was not the Bihar for which I had tried to memorise  Rajendra Prasad,
Jaiprakash Narain and all the other heroes. It was no longer My Bihariness
against the Sylheti Bengaliness, but Bihari against Bihari. I finally admired
my childhood Bengali demons.

3.

However, there was yet another Bihar which was stalking the streets of Delhi.
A Bihar which was not producing IAS and IPS officers but sweat in sweat
shops. A Bihar which got abused as 'Biharis' in the overcrowded Blue/Redline
buses. A Bihar which was graduates forced to guard prison-like colonies with
nothing to guard them except a comical Lathis. A Bihar which had nothing to
do with the Bihar of Delhi University (though I am sure with the same fault
lines), but was forced by the grime of Delhi slums to labour under the
abusive naming convention- 'Bihari'.
These were the faces which finally entered the nasal cavities of Delhi's
chattering classes. The university crowd could be bought to hide their
origins, but this Bihar was everywhere. Cycling kilometers from a slum to an
equally hazardous factory. Driving Autos, guarding the houses and speaking
up.
Sitting in the bucolic urbanity of Shillong- I read of the (now defunct)
Additional Solicitor General of India Mr. Rawal playing up his liberal
credentials in court by asserting that the government cannot allow Delhi to
suffer from the 'Bihar Syndrome'. I am not devastated. I don't reach for the
nearest analyst.
As a Bihari maid servant, working at a friends house in east Delhi, told me,
"they want to turn Delhi into Paris and they don't want us in this Paris."
For her Paris was an American city and with such general knowledge she was
completely unfit for the UPSC. Nevertheless her social analysis was dead
certain. It is opinions like these that the chatterati cannot take. Silence
is a virtue which this Bihar hasn't heard of. If you take a tourist trip into
the industrial areas of Delhi and decide to meet the Union leaders you would
be surprised at the number of Biharis you find.
In their quest for a global city, Delhi elites want subservient labouring
classes ready to trudge miles to tend their gardens and feed their dogs. But
these Biharis refuse to fit the stereotype which is being erected for them.
They shall defecate in your vicinity till their demands for Public toilets
are fulfilled. In the Rawalesque obsession with the 'Bihar Syndrome', one is
tempted to read this conflict of silence vs. speech almost as a class
conflict.

4.

When I started to reflect on my loneliness as a long distance Bihari, I
thought I would make obvious angry noises, take the Mickey out of Mr. Rawal
and his gang and arrive into a glowing definition of the self. But being a
Bihari is more of an idea in the making, than an idea already made like our
family sitting room. In the loud mouthed way we speak, our sitting rooms have
all the accruements for this voice to echo and resonate shamelessly. If you
are a non-Bihari and have visited the houses of Biharis who can afford to
have sitting rooms, you can be assured of embarrassment at the sheer shabby
openness these spaces conjure. Children troop in and out, Daadi offers her
comment, host sits cross-legged on the sofa. The pride in being a Bihari may
be computed to being inversely  proportional to drawing room grandeur and
prissiness. If this is the mathematical equation of my identity- I am all for
it - the Bihariness.
If it means, being skeptical of the ruling classes, take my contribution for
the construction of that Bihari edifice. It is always nice to sit between
people for whom rulers exist to be unmasked and railed against.
If it means working out your resistance in all its political concreteness, By
god ki kasam, this country has to be forced to embrace the Bihar Syndrome.
And for a North East boy, if Bihari intends not to be Xenophobic, I shall
lapse into a major celebration. But is this all there is to it, being a
Bihari?
In the final days of my college career, one of my juniors entered my hostel
room and demanded ten rupees for organising the Chitragupta Puja. I was
offended but sweetly explained to him that-
1. I was not a progeny of Chitragupta, who, for non-Biharis, is the mythical
ancestor of Kayasthas, a forward caste and,
2.  I had leftish beliefs.
Unfazed, he tells me," A Sinha has informed me that you belong to us, not the
Backwards, we know your father's name..." I was defeated. I had to physically
evict him from my room so as not to part with my ten rupees and leftish
beliefs.
I was unmasked. Now I was a Bihari. A Bihari with a caste. That too a forward
caste. But this story has a sadder ending still. That very A. Sinha, a
student of Sanskrit, was caught as a ‘fence’ for stolen goods. We were all
astonished. The astonishment was not at his thievery, but at the subsequent
revelation that this great organiser of the Chitragupta celebrations had used
a highcaste Sinha surname by obliterating his rightful Backward one.
A spectre haunts - the Bihar syndrome.