[Reader-list] freedom and freesoftware

Prabhat Kumar prabhatmuhurta at yahoo.co.in
Fri Aug 17 23:25:20 IST 2001

I thought that I shall not write any more mail on this
subject but Mr. Pankaj is compelling me to write two
lines.

I just want to ask Mr. Pankaj that if a company sits
on a GPLed software and makes it a proprietary
software, then what an individual programmer can do.
For how long can that ill-fated programmer survive the
series of court dates and hearings? One should not
forget that fighting a legal case is not an easy job
for a person who doesn’t have vulgar bank balance.
Secondly, I thought that when I used the examples of
NBA, BMW one could understand the level of corruption
I was referring to in legal matters. Anyway, hope
Mr.Pankaj now understands what I meant if he had read
what is GPL all about. No doubt, GPL is a very good
concept, but it has its limitations. It is only a
means to reach somewhere, not the end. If someone
things that GPL is the ultimate solution then he is
living in fools paradise. I take it for granted that
purity and divinity of GPL is bound to be dishonored
in this world of adulteration and corruption. So I
prescribe to increase the user base of Linux and
construct a popular opinion. This is important for its
own existence not for charity. Popular opinion in the
form of protests etc. can show better result than a
single middleclass person fighting a lonely defeated
battle in the sea of power and money.

I don’t want to reply other comments that I would like
to presume nothing more than emotional out bursts. By
the way, I am not against Linux if so understood.

Prabhat