[Reader-list] Reply to:Loneliness of a Long Distance Bihari BY a solitary 1/2km Daily runner.

Dr. Reyhan Chaudhuri reyhanchaudhuri at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 18 01:44:23 IST 2001

Mr.Bhartiya’s postings were really a good read and one can suspect that
writing it may have made him quite nostalgic and fondly look back on his
childhood.
However since I’ve been told this is a public space in a relatively public
domain and that we can air our completely own opinion and views unrestrained
,so I must make the intitiative of doing  precisely that. So ,even if it is
at the cost of nettling him or putting him on a  defensive stance, I feel I
must state that perhaps next time or consequently he ought to probe the
reasons for the Bihari syndrome. Why did the stereotypical myths emerge and
why these preconceptions(he would probably  prefer to call them prejudices)
are not entirely  old granny tales ? It is one of the BIMARO states (as
statisticians call it) which roughly translates in Hindustani as:’Sick”.But
is also an acronym Bihar /MadhyaPradesh /Rajasthan/ Orissa. (Bengal?
U.P?They maybe included too,I must check up.)
    For those who are not familiar with our subcontinent it may be relevant
to tell them that India is divided into states and union territories. Like
perhaps the federal states of America .However they are more like the  EEC
countries with different languages, different scripts and often even
races;)These Bimaro states are problem areas(though a cynic would say whole
of the country is in dire straits. ) and sick in the sense that they are
more diseased in comparison to some of the other states. All their Mortality
and Morbidity Rates are at a dismal level and more important much lower than
the National
Calibrations. These include the Economic rates and the more abstract but
equally real in terms of ‘life & ‘living’ ,the:Psycho-Social ones. I would
include  in this category the perpetuation of feudal or mediaeval atrocities
and obscurantism .Everyone shall pounce upon me that it happens all over the
Asian continent or in the country. Please, it is in different  degrees and
shades and in INdia where it is rampant(I would never say ubiquitous) even
these  microgrammic or nanogrammic variations become significant for one to
generalize with labels and  biased slogans.
I do not want to shatter anyone’s scenic dewy drama of their childhood as
even as a(or rather as a) medico , I can sense they are a  vital framework
for sustaining one’s’ future’ and presence of the subconscious’ present’.
However going back to the past as a post-adolescent for self-analysis(and
not self-worth) surely he /she can smell the rat  or clench the cockroach. I
mean the menace of evil or brutal violence that is omniscient. Ofcourse
there are normal people (read human) like everywhere on the Good Earth.
But their potentialities their very own  home/ state(viz. Bihar) are
crippled and niceties constantly tested by this sandfly  lurking  as  mother
of all  kala azars. Infact it is not one but a swarm of sandflies, volatile
under a curiously  dormant crust and exploding or relapsing into riotous
ravage in a very random manner. (Very alarming this both for the inhabitants
and onlookers like me.)
Sorry to meander into non-explicit messages but what I mean is surely there
is some reason why there is no’ Rajasthan syndrome’ or a derogatory
MadhyaPradeshi’ tag.And this is not because they are not labour class or
blue collar workers. All the migrants from the other BIMARO states into
Delhi (& other metropolises)(,though  I specifically said Delhi as the
author/reader-list member mainly discussed  Delhi ) are not Computor Gurus
or Neuro-surgeons. Most of them are also of equally humbling  background and
professions…So why  are there no negative aspersions or detrimental baggage
with them or for them?
Before I end maybe I should tell  you that I am not from  any of the other
BIMARO states to speak on their behalf. My views emerge entirely out of
personal experience (read partly private) and not prejudice. Well no, not
quite as I admit there may be self-conscious prejudice (yes, there can be
such a  thing) but the personal experience preceded the prejudice and not
vice versa.
Yrs. Sincerely (& With no Cheers at all or with some languid ones)

:R.Chaudhuri