[Reader-list] The Day After - Suraj Rai

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Sat Aug 18 11:56:42 IST 2001

This is text written by Suraj from LNJP Basti, Ajmeri Gate, Delhi. I
find it amazingly rich with meaning and alludes to the complex
interiority of the person.  cheers, Jeebesh

"The Day After..."
- Suraj Rai (14 yrs)
(Translated by Ravikant)

There is an earthquake...everyone is dead. How did I survive? The
question will haunt me. It is possible that I would die of shock of
losing my family members. If I manage to survive I will be happy to
be free bird. And the sole owner of the basti.

But the government will take away all this land. First of all I will
extricate the survivors in the basti. I will make do with the
belongings left in the collapsed houses. Since I will be the only one
left, the police, Press and the TV-wallas will come to interview me.
On such an occasion,  I will miss my friends and relatives very much.
But what had to happen has happened. Whether I get government relief
or not, I will have to help myself.

If I receive government aid, I will use it to complete my education.
The other relatives will come too, but what do they have to offer
except solace. I will be surrounded by a fleet of ambulances... I'm
feeling sad looking at the dead bodies... some of which will make me
cry. Friends, brothers, parents, sisters, neighbours, enemies.... I
have lost them all.

There is absolutely nobody to support me. I tell God: why did you do
this? You should have left some one to look after me. I have been
left alone. At least send my Mayadi from Calcutta. I would like to
live...