[Reader-list] On Connectivity in J&K

Arun Mehta mehta at vsnl.com
Mon Aug 27 22:02:05 IST 2001

At 8/22/2001, Shuddhabrata Sengupta wrote:
>1. Is this denial of basic rights to communication and information resources
>to the people who live in the part of Jammu and Kashmir that is administered
>by India nothing short of an instance of a colonizing mentality at work?

I believe that the amount of freedom you have, is related to how much you
are willing to fight for. The tendency of the government everywhere is to
grab as much power as it can get, if your rights be trampled, well, then
you better be willing to fight for them. In the "sensitive" areas, since
there have been far bigger issues to tackle, telecom may have suffered as
an issue.

Shuddha, thanks for bringing this up. You have a well-developed conscience.
The American Indians say, I believe, that your conscience is a triangular
object in your heart, which, if provoked, turns sideways and pokes. But if
you ignore it too often, the corners wear out, and you stop noticing.

As I see it, the way to protect shepherds working in remote areas from
terrorist attacks is to give them FM mikes -- that way, they can
communicate with each other using cheap FM radios. Hard to use this telecom
equipment for reaching the enemy, since anyone monitoring the FM channels
can overhear. I also think such mikes would be very useful in disasters,
when the telecom breaks down.

So Shuddha, ideas on how to take this issue up?

>2. Why do Indian telecom authorities in a part of the country they claim as
>their own behave as if they are an occupying power?

They behave that way everywhere.

Arun Mehta, moderator india-gii. To join a list which discusses India's
bumpy progress on the global infohighway, mail india-gii-subscribe at cpsr.org
http://members.tripod.com/india_gii is our neglected website.
To  reassure yourself as to the quality of content and volume of mail,
please visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/india-gii/messages