[Reader-list] Durban conference

Arun Mehta arunmehtain at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 14:01:41 IST 2001

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/26/opinion/26HEAN.html?todaysheadlines
Says the great poet Seamus Heaney:

there is genuine healing power rather than mere rhetorical uplift in Mr.
Mandela's espousal of the aims of the Durban conference, and the conference
could well adopt as its sacred text something he wrote in his book, "Long
Walk to Freedom": "It was during those long and lonely years that my hunger
for the freedom of my own people became a hunger for the freedom of all
people, black and white. I knew as well as I knew anything that the
oppressor must be liberated just as surely as the oppressed. I am not truly
free if I am taking away someone else's freedom, just as surely as I am not
free when my freedom is taken away from me. The oppressed and the oppressor
alike are robbed of their humanity."

I am wondering if the role of media in racism is being properly examined at
Durban?

The role of business? For instance, I am told that many companies, even
large ones, run by traditional Indians (I won't say the "m" word), won't
hire Muslims.

Arun Mehta, B-69, Lajpat Nagar-I, New Delhi -- 110024, India. Phone
+91-11-6841172, 6849103.  http://www.radiophony.com mehta at vsnl.com