[Reader-list] Powerfailure: Thanks :) (fwd)

Menso Heus menso at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 6 04:24:55 IST 2001

Hi,

Recently I visited a lecture on the vulnerability of our ICT & electricity
network in The Netherlands. The lecture was quite disappointing,
politicians saying "We don't really know what the risk is but we think
it's not that big" and other arguments such as "The internet was build to
continue to work even when a part breaks down, so we're safe!"

One of the biggest things missing in the debate was the mention of
electricity: what good is *any* computer network if there's no power to
feed the machines?

Below follows a posting by Paul Wouters to the Hippies From Hell
mailinglist: a power cut hit Amsterdam because of overheating (it was only
32 degrees!). Not really special you might think, yet the thing is that
the area Paul was working at was the Amsterdam Science Park, the location
of the Amsterdam Internet eXchange (AMS-IX). Since they were also hit by
the power cut practically all of the internet stopped working in The
Netherlands.

Ofcourse we techies were raising this exact topic @ the debate mentioned
earlier, we know two 14 year old guys with a toe-nail clipper can break
down a lot of things in a short period of time.... ofcourse, they wouldn't
listen and wanted to do research first... hope this rang a bell in the
right places :)

Menso

People are divided into two groups--the righteous and the unrighteous--and
the righteous do the dividing.			- Lord Cohen