Fw: [Reader-list] Inviting coding collaborations

shikha garg blackpearl at softhome.net
Wed Jul 11 08:30:15 IST 2001

> From: Monica Narula <monica at sarai.net>
>
 > Dear All,
 >
 > We would like to share some ideas about possible collaborations
 > between anyone interested in coding and the work that is taking shape
 > within Sarai.
 >
 > One of our projects that especially demands addressing by programmers
> - and will benefit a lot of people - is the CyberMohalla.
 > Cybermohalla is a project that is primarily trying to develop a
 > computing culture within non-elite social spaces. Our first
 > experimental lab has been set in the basti adjoining the LNJP
 > hospital (between Ajmeri gate and Delhi gate).

 We had preliminary discussions with the people at Sarai and the
 children at the basti, and one thing that we came up with, was
 that right now the "introduction into computing" step teaches a
 lot of redundant skills.

 The children at the basti are working on making a multimedia
 version of the life in, the history of, the local basti. They compose
 textual content in HTML on StarOffice and link it with images
 drawn/scanned-modified with Gimp. Sound is recorded
 Recording needs a separate application.

 The lack of an integrated tool means these children need
 to learn a lot of separate tools which sometimes is an impediment
 to their working without supervision. So we are looking towards
 developing an integrated image manipulator(needs rather basic
 functionality importing, resizing), a text manipulator(needs to support
 fonts, and different sizes) and a sound file linker.

 Please crosspost your suggestions and ideas on this the 2600 list as well.

 Regards,
ankur