[Reader-list] ownership business

Patrice Riemens patrice at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 24 12:39:51 IST 2001

Pradip's story is fascinating and also extremely timely and relevant to
what is going to be one of the major (some say: the major) contentious
issue of this century: water. There is one step further (one wonder how
far it is in the (irrigation) minister's mind) to Pradip's story: if every
drop of water belongs to the state, it can be alienated by the state to
corporate parties. This is exactly what is happening in many part of the
world, both 'developed' and 'developing', but in the later, it happens
with a vengance. In the now (in)famous case of the bolivian water
privatization, not only were the public waterworks turned over to a US
Multinational, but owners of wells etc were disowned also and had to pay
to Bechtel to use their 'own' (no longer so thus) water. Does that sound a
bell to you re: the software wars. You got it! Nice illustration of the
iron interlocking logic of the 'new' property system being currently put
in place by all your usual suspects (WBIMFWTOWIPO etc etc etc).

(For more on water blues, check the site of the International Forum on
Globalization http://www.ifg.org  : it's one of their top topics. Read
also Riccardo Petrella's writings on the subject)