[Reader-list] HAL2001 Program

Menso Heus menso at r4k.net
Tue Jun 5 12:32:49 IST 2001

Hi,

Since some of you have shown interest to the HAL2001 event held in
The Netherlands this August I figured I'd post the program for as
far as it is known at the moment.

Please note that it is possibly subject to change.

HAL2001 stands for Hackers At Large and is focussed on Internet, new
technologies being developed and the risks that those bring. Security,
online rights, privacy, etc.

V. Bell -  Hacking the brain

Tech. Univ. of Budapest -  GSM Security

H. Daniel - The tragedy of software quality in OS/GPL systems

H. Daniel -  Future Directions in OS's

M. v. Dinter -  DeCSS and Dutch law

J. Gilmore  - What's Wrong With Copy Prevention Technology

J. Gilmore  - Opportunistic Encryption in IP security

J. Gilmore - Thoughtcrime and Drug Legalization

R. Gonggrijp, R. Weis, and B. Wels -  SESM - an open standard for secure SMS

F. Ravia -  Web wizard searching techniques, anti-advertisement galore and software reversing tips

R. Pieper  - Dutch kilometer tax project

speaker unknown yet -  Distributed DOS detection and prevention techniques

I. Snellen -  Dutch digital citizen's safe

T. Timewaster -  hacking SDMI

D. Vallas  - Counterfeiting, non-internet communications

D. Vallas - defeating biometrics

R. Weis - Java Cards - Open Source Smart Cards

M. Wolschon - Wearable computing

P. Wouters - Lawful tapping in the Netherlands

As you can see topics range from die-hard technological lectures to
lectures on drugs and how to counterfeit or defeat biometrics.
I would urge all those who can come to come, these events are always
big fun, the lectures interesting and the atmosphere and people make
it a great thing to be part of.

For more information see the HAL2001 website, www.hal2001.org

Menso