[Reader-list] Face Recognition & Surveillance

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Thu Jun 7 21:41:01 IST 2001

Thanks, Sam and Menso,

For all that information on surveillance software, particularly face
recognition and CCTV stuff.

I found Menso's description of  what could happen to him on his ramble
through Amsterdam quite chilling, and Sam's warnings about face recognition
software are quite significant.

I ran a search on what is happening in terms of Face Recognition in India,
particularly with reference to plans for  National ID card in India that we
have been discussing on this list, and immediately came across two
companies that are on the fast track of developing face recognition and
biometric software solutions and want to develope these applications for
national ID cards.

They are :

1. Jaypeetex -  ...The Biometrics People
http://www.jaypeetex.com/

2. Axis - The 'World Leader' in Biometric Software Solutions
http://www.axistech.com/

Check out how these gentlemen have designs on your faces !

Cheers (?)

Shuddha

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
SARAI: The New Media Initiative
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
29, Rajpur Road, Delhi 110 052, India
www.sarai.net