[Reader-list] Cogntiariat: Matthew Fuller & Snafu interview Franco Berardi

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Jun 12 11:54:51 IST 2001

Apologies for cross posting to those already on the nettime list, but this
is a conversation on labour and labouring in cyberspace that I  thought
would be interesting for all on the reader list.  The people talking are
Matthew Fuller (MF), Franco Berardi (Bifo) and a third person called Snafu.
 From Nettime (www.nettime.org) June 12, 2001

the following is an interview with Franco Berardi, Bifo, that took place by
email during May and June 2001 focussing around the themes of his new book
describing the development of the 'Cognitariat'.The 'Factory of
Unhappiness', (La fabbrica dell'infelicità. New economy e movimento del
cognitariato) was recently published by Derive Approdi.
(http://www.deriveapprodi.org/)

MF: In your new book, 'The Factory of Unhappiness' you describe a class
formation, the 'cognitariat' - a conflation of cognitive worker and
proletarian, working in 'so-called jobs'. You've also previously used the
idea of the 'Virtual Class'. What are the qualities of the conitariat and
how might they be distinguished from this slightly higher strata depicted
by Kroker and Weinstein in 'Data Trash'?

Bifo: I like to refer to the concept of virtual class, which is a class
that does not actually exist. It is only the abstraction of the fractal
ocean of productive micro-actions of the cognitive workers. It is a useful
concept, but it does not comprehend the existence (social and bodily) of
those people who perform virtual tasks. But the social existence of virtual
workers is not virtual, the sensual body of the virtual worker is not
virtual. So I prefer to speak about cognitive proletariat (cognitariat) in
order to emphasize the material (I mean physical, psychological,
neurological) disease of the workers involved in the net-economy.

MF: The political / economic theorisation of post-fordism which has much of
its roots in Italian activism and thought of the sixties, seventies and
onwards is now an established term in describing post-industrial, work
conditions. You present a variant of this, and one which suggests that the
full political dynamics of this change have yet to be appreciated - how can
we describe the transition from 'The Social Factory' to 'The Factory of
Unhappiness'?

Bifo: Semiokapital puts neuro-psychic energies to work, and submits them to
machinic speed. It compels our cognition, our emotional hardware to follow
the rhythm of the net-productivity. Cyberspace overloads cybertime, because
cyberspace is an unbounded sphere, whose speed can accelerate without
limits. But cybertime (the time of attention, of memory, of imagination)
cannot be speeded up
beyond a limit. Otherwise it cracks... And it is actually cracking,
collapsing under the stress of hyperproductivity. An epidemic of panic is
spreading thoroughout the circuits of the social brain. An epidemic of
depression is following the outbreak of panic. The current crisis of the
new economy has to be seen as consequence of this nervous breakdown. Once
upon a time Marx spoke about overproduction, meaning
the excess of available goods that could not be absorbed by the social
market. Nowadays it is the social brain that is assaulted by an
overwhelming supply of attention-demanding goods. This is why the social
factory has become the factory of unhappiness: the assembly line of
netproduction is directly exploiting the emotional energy of the virtual
class. We are now beginning to become aware of it, so we are
able to recognize ourselves as cognitarians. Flesh, body, desire, in
permanent electrocution.

Snafu: This consideration opens up, in your book, an interesting reflection
about the mutated relationship between free and productive time. In the
Fordist factory, working time is repetitive and alienating. Workers start
to live elsewhere, as soon as they leave the workplace. The
factory conflicts with the "natural desires" of the worker. On the
contrary, in the post-fordist model, productivity absorbs the social and
psychological capacities of the worker. In this way, free time
progressively loses its interest, in favour of what you call the contemporary
"reaffectivization" of labour. On the other side, you depict the
net-economy as a giant "brainivore". My question regards the apparent
contradiction embedded in this double movement. How is it possible that
people are at the same time so attached to their job and so exhausted by
it? What are the psychological reasons that push people to build their own
cages?

Bifo: Every person involved in the Net-economy knows this paradox very
well. It is the paradox of social identity. We feel motivated only by our
social role, because the sensuous life is more and more anorexic, more and
more virtualized. Simultaneously we experience a desensualization of our
life because we are so obsessed by social performance. It is the effect of
the economic backmail, the increasing cost of daily life: we need to work
more and more in order to gain enough money to pay the expensive way of
life we are accustomed to. But it is also the effect of a growing
investment of desire in the field of social performance, of competition, of
productivity.

snafu: Moving onto a material level, economic conditions seem pretty
irrelevant to the formation of the cognitariat. But, we all know that
enormous disparities take place within the net-economy. Do you think that
all of the cognitive workers live on their body the same level of
exploitation? And what do these workers are really demanding, more money or
more free time? Do you think that the stress from hyper-productivity is the
only factor in the possible emergence of a self-consciousness in the
virtual class?

Bifo: I do not think at all that the economic condition is irrelevant. You
know, people has been forced to accept low salaries, flexible and unlimited
exploitation, a work day with no limits because every single fragment of
the social relationship has become expensive. Before the liberist frenzy
you could spend a night with friends and go around in the city with few
money or no money at all. Nowadays, after the liberist therapy, every human
relationship has been marketed. Gratuity has disappeared from the landscape
of human relationship. This is why the human relationship is no less and
less human.

MF: Following from this, in what ways are people developing forms of
resistance, organisation, solidarity that shift the algorithms of control
in their favour in 'the movement of the cognitariat'. Or in other words,
what forms - and given the difference between the 'felicita' of the
original title and 'happiness' in English - might the production of
happiness take?

Bifo: Resistance is residual. Some people still create social networks,
like the centri sociali in Italy: places where production and exchange and
daily life are protected from the final commodification. But this is a
residual of the past age of proletarian community. This legacy has to be
saved, but I do not see the future coming out from such resistance. I see
it in the process of recombination. I see this movement, spreading all over
the world, since the days of the Seattle riots as the global movement of
self organisation of cognitive work. You know, I do not see this movement
as resistance against globalisation. Not at all. This is a global movement
against corporate capitalism.
Problem is: where is it receiving its potency from? I don't think that this
is the movement of the marginalized, of the unemployed, of the farmers, of
the industrial workers fighting against the delocalisation of the
factories. Oh yes, those people are part of the movement in the streets.
But the core of this movement resides in the process of conscious
self-organization of cognitive work all over the world, thanks to the Net.
This movement represents, in my view, the beginning of a conscious
reshaping of the techno-social interfaces of the net, operated by the
cognitarians. Scientists, researchers, programmers, mediaworkers, every
segment of the networked general intellect are going to repolarize and
reshape its episteme, its creative action.

MF: You were involved in manifestations against the OECD meeting in
Bologna. What are the tactics developing in that movement and elsewhere
that you see as being most useful? What are those that perhaps connect the
cognitariat to other social and political currents?

Bifo: I do not think that the street is the place where this movement will
grow. In the streets it was symbolically born. The street riot has been the
symbolic detonator, but the net-riot is the real process of trasformation.
When eighty thousand people were acting in the streets of Seattle, three,
four million people (those who were in virtual contact with the
demonstration thanks to the Internet) were taking part in a big virtual
meeting all around the globe, chatting, discussing, reading. All those
people are the cognitariat. So I think that the global movement against
corporate capitalism is absolutely right when it goes to the streets,
organizing blockades like in Seattle, Prague, Bologna, and Quebec City, and
next July in Genova. But this is only symbolic action that fuels the real
movement of sabotage and of reshaping, which has to be organized in every
lab, in every place where cognitarians are producing, and creating the
technical interfaces of the social fabric.
The industrial working class needed a political party in order to organize
autonomy, struggle, self-organization, social change. The netwoked class of
the cognitariat finds the tool of self-organization in the same network
that is also the tool of exploitation. As far as the forms of the
struggle in the streets are concerned, I think we should be careful. This
movement does not need violence, it need a theatricalisation of the hidden
conflict that is growing in the process of mental work. Mental work, once
organized and consciously managed can be very disruptive for capitalist
rule. And can be very useful in reshaping the relationship between
technology and social use of it.

snafu: I'd like to know what the 'keywords of resistance within every lab'
that you mentioned are, and to ask what the technical interfaces of the
social fabric are? In particular i'd like to understand if, when you
mention the techno-social interfaces, you refer to non-proprietary
systems such as Linux, or if you have a broader view. But also, if the
shared production of freeware and open source softwares represents a shift
away from capitalism or if we are only facing the latest, most suitable
form of capitalism given in this historical phase. As far as i know,
military agencies and corporations use and develop free software as well as
hacker circuits...

Bifo: Well, I do not see things in this antagonistic (dialectical) way. I
mean, I do not think that freeware and open source are outside the sphere
of capitalism. Similarly I do not think that the worker's collective strike
and self organisation in the old Fordist factory was ouside the
sphere of capitalism. Nothing is outside the sphere of capitalism, because
capitalism is not a dialectic totality suited to be overwhelmed (Auf-heben)
by a new totality (like communism, or something like that). Capital is a
cognitive framework of social activity, a semiotic frame embedded in the
social psyche and in the human Techne. Struglle against capitalism ,
refusal of work, temporary autonomous zones,
open source and freeware... all this is not the new totality, it is the
dynamic recombination allowing people to find their space of autonomy, and
push Capitalism towards progressive innovation.

snafu: Another question is about the network. It can be used as a tool of
self-organization, but it is also a powerful means of control. Do you think
that there are new forms of life emerging within the network? I mean, can
the network guarantee the rise of a new form of political consciousness
comparable to the one emerging with mass parties? At the moment, global
networks such as nettime, syndicate, rhizome
and indymedia remain platforms for exchanging information more than real
infrastructures providing support, coordination and a real level of
cooperation (with few exceptions, such as the Toywar). Do you see the
development of the network of the cognitarians, from a means of
info-distribution to a stable infrastructure? How the different communities
- such as hackers, activists, net.artists, programmers, web designers -
will define a common agenda? At the moment each of them seem to me pretty
stuck on their own issues, even when they are part of the same mailing list...

Bifo: The net is a newborn sphere, and it not only going effect conscious
and political behaviour, but it is also going to re-frame anthropology and
cognition. The Internet is not a means (an instrument) of poltical
organisation, and it is not a means (an instrument) of information. It is a
public sphere, an anthropological and cognitional environment. Recently I
heard that number of scientists all over the world are struggling in order
to obtain the publication of the results of pblicly-funded research.
"Scientists around the world are in revolt against moves by
a powerful group of private corporations to lock decades of publicly funded
western scientific research into expensive, subscription-only electronic
databases. At stake in the dispute is nothing less than control over the
fruits of scientific discovery - millions of pages of scientific
information which may hold the secrets of a cure for Aids, cheap space
travel or the workings of the human mind." The Internet is simultaneously
the place of social production, and the place of selforganisation.

MF: After the May Day demonstrations in central London, at the central end
of which the police, several thousand of them, penned in a similar number
of demonstrators for hours, it strikes me that It's almost as if the police
are determined themselves to teach the people that staying static is a
mistake. Certainly though, new ways of moving collectively in space are
being invented and many of those
are being tried out in the street. But perhaps amongst other currents there
is also a reluctance or a nervousness about doing something concrete, about
using power in a way that might risk repeating the impositions we have all
experienced. On the one hand it could be said that this meakness is a
strength, (if not just a public expression of a vague moral unease) but on
the other it could be understood precisely as a result of this awareness
that people have that their actions are always implicated in a
multi-layered network of medial reiteration. Centralised networks that
stratify and imprison people in the case of CCTV, but that also networks
that are at once diffuse but that also contain, as you say, 'exploitation'.
Given this, what are the ways in which you claim that this 'net-riot'
creates transformation or exerts its political strength?

Bifo: I see two different (and interrelated) stages of the global revolt:
one is the symbolic action that takes place in the street, the other is the
process of selforganisation of cognitive work, of scientists, researchers,
giving public access to the results of the cognitive production, unlocking
it from the hold of corporations. It may sound paradoxical. The physical
action of facing police in the streets, of howling below the windows of
IMF, WTO and G8, this is just the symbolic trigger of the real change,
which takes place in the mental environment, in the ethereal cyberspace.

MF: Returning to the issue of the relationship of bodies to the machines
with which they work and to the information structures they form part of,
it seems there are two strands to this. One is the relatively
straightforward attention to the ergonomic conditions of working with
computers, repetitive strain injury / carpal tunnel syndrome, eyestrain,
the position of becoming an appendage to a telephone in a call centre etc.
The other is how bodies are opened up as spaces to be interrogated by
information systems. The obvious example of this is in the way that genetic
material is thought about, as something that can be isolated and databased,
but also as an 'agent' whose purpose
is to deliver 'information' to the flesh that interprets and realises its
instructions and which we will see as providing a rationale for the
'improvement' of bodies. Related to this, but occurring in a more diffuse
way, is the increased emphasis on diagnosing what can be understood as
information processing sicknesses - the recent study that claimed that 70%
of all males have some form of autism for instance. Most interesting here
is the idea of some of these syndromes, such as Asperger's Syndrome, which
it is often speculated is
one enjoyed by Bill Gates, are increasingly understood to be productive in
certain ways. What might this suggest about the way notions of health in
relation to information and productivity are treated?

Bifo: I am not able to answer your question properly, because it implies so
many fields of knowledge which I have only heard of. I see that the Global
Mind is creating a sort of Global body, which is the continuum of distant
organisms connected through the nonorganic electronic network. The Global
Body is the productive body of the net, but it is also the space where
viruses spread, the space of contagion. So therapy should work at the same
level, at the collective level. This is the idea of therapy proposed by
Felix Guattari.

MF: It's clear also that the means of access to becoming a member of this
class are becoming hardened as its function becomes more defined. In the UK
and elsewhere, in the sphere of education there is a substantial slippage
of the mask of Liberal Humanism, with education 'as a value in itself'
moving towards strictly instrumental vocational training to create this new
workforce. (This is also mirrored in the economic pain that students are
made to suffer if they are to complete their studies). You are involved
with a Hypermedia course in Bologna. How is an awareness of the composition
of the cognitariat built into the course?

Bifo: I have been teaching in a public school for web designers and
videomakers, but my teaching experience is very fragmented and scarcely
academic. But your question is very interesting, because it pinpoints the
importance of a new didactic theory. What should we teach to our students?
What should they learn? I say that we should make them conscious of their
belonging to the process, and we should
at the same time show them the possibility of existing outside the process.
The danger in the process of the transmission of knowledge is the
following: the 'power point' technicalities creating the Novum Organum of
Science. Knowledge reduced to a functional system of frequently asked
questions, the digital formalisation of didactics, of the method and of the
contents of knowledge. You remember that
Karl Marx wrote somewhere that the proletariat is the heir of classical
german philosophy. It was just a metaphor. But now we can say in a stricly
literal sense that the cognitariat is the heir of modern science and
philosophy, and also the heir of the modern art and poetry. The social
liberation of the cognitariat is also their appropriation of the
technosocial effects of knowledge.

(Interviewers: snafu, Matthew Fuller)

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
SARAI: The New Media Initiative
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
29, Rajpur Road, Delhi 110 052, India
www.sarai.net