[Reader-list] Virtual sit ins and electronic disturbances

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Mon Jun 18 14:46:22 IST 2001

The discussion on electronic disturbances and protest evokes a
comparison with protest forms like demonstrations, marches, sit-ins,
etc.

- I would like to draw attention to another form of protest that was
worked out by the transport workers in South Korea sometime back. (I
think the Mumbai transport workers also tried this form of protest
some three to four years back.) These workers had to address the
immediate problem of the effect to ordinary commuters if they stop
work. And also, this makes them very vulnerable to sharp orchestrated
press propaganda and they tend to loose public sympathy and thus
solidarity. What they did as a counter measure, was to start running
the transport carriages and refused to charge fares. The argument was
very simple, we are with the commuters and against the management, so
our protest form should be able to articulate this basic fact.
Non-charging of fares creates many possibility of thoughts and
dialogue and does have a completely different effect than the
traditional form of work stoppage.

It will be interesting to see how to think of forms of protest that
think differently about the constituency that they are addressing and
being in an increasingly networked society with a large dimension of
our work being online, this will be a critical debate.

- Another fact that can be looked at when we are working out the
virtual space of a protest is the investment and legal architecture
of a corporation or a firm. These gigantic entities are intricately
enmeshed within a very complex network of financial institutions,
pension funds, mutual funds, investment companies, insurance
companies, trading companies, saving schemes, and various taxation
protections and benefits.

A virtual protest can work out parallel multi-nodal dispersed forms
that can create a different kind of pressure on this extended network
of interests and compress on the `implicit contract/ consensus` of
economic activity.