[Reader-list] arzoo: blame it on the other

geert geert at basis.desk.nl
Sat Jun 23 05:24:44 IST 2001

www.arzoo.com

Blame it on the Other. Sabeer Bhatia, founder of Hotmail who sold out to
Microsoft, saw his second enterprise, arzoo.com, going down the drain. In
April 2001 it closed operations. Bhatia: "This was necessitated by a severe
downturn in the US economy which has resulted in a slowdown in corporate
spending especially for any new product and services. This is not the right
time to introduce such a service to our corporate partners - all of whom are
engaged in what some call a "ruthless cost-cutting"exercise." Arzoo a victim
of a "ruthless exercise"? Not its business plan was flauted. The world was
simply not ready for Arzoo. Bhatia aimed at creating a virtual pool of
talent that would help solve the problems of those who might encounter any
IT-related troubles. "Arzoo will be used across the world by corporations to
seek instant answers to their pressing technical problems. It will provide
on-line problem-solving assistance for engineering and information
technology applications to corporates,'' Bhatia told the Times of India on
September 8, 2000.

Fucked Company, a message board where rumours about down spirling IT-firms
are exchanged: "Never used em, but, according to their press releases, they
provided "live, real-time interaction with experts" hmm. sounds like usenet
and EVERY FUCKING OTHER MESSAGE BOARD ON EARTH." Second Sux, responding on
Fucked Company: "Anyway, I'm glad this "genious" founder of hotmail got
slapped in the ass. I mean, it was amazing enough MS gave him millions for a
Web-based email service, that are as commonplace as dirt right now. From the
interviews I saw, this mothafucka thought he was the damn Messiah after
scoring that load of $$$, and the IT media whores treated him as such.
Well, 2 years later, what do you fuckin know? Netbust.com! BTW, this didn't
have shit to do with the economic downturn, it had more to do with something
more universal - reality."