[Reader-list] identity and dispossesion

jeebesh at sarai.net jeebesh at sarai.net
Fri May 18 11:47:21 IST 2001

While attending the Documenta conference a problem kept on disturbing me.

The clashes between irreconciliable views are increasingly giving rise to a
massive annhilation of population and ideas.

How do irreconcilable or incompatable cosmologies begin a dialogue.  Or can
there be a position outside these identities? Further is it possible to have a
dialogue without slipping into a larger identity (`national`, or vague `we are
all the same humanism` - these positions can only work with a high degree of
enforced historical amnesia). Finally, what can be the possible vantage point
from where you can imagine a possible aufheben?

Yesterday a small sound byte from a film suddenly opened a new door to this
predeliction. Prof J.P.S. Oberoi, while explaining the possible philosophical
underpinning of the complex matrix of overlapping lived practices and
cosmologies found in many subaltern subcultures said that the equality maybe
arises out of shared notions of incompleteness, what one owes to the world and
in dispossesion, i.e not as haves but as have-nots of culture.

What struck me was the simplicity of the formulation and its ability to allow a
radically different way of entering a dialogue. I am yet to workout the
implication of this mode of thinking but maybe some of you can give it a try...