[Reader-list] Virtual Sit Ins and Electronic Disturbances

Menso Heus menso at r4k.net
Sat May 26 19:14:35 IST 2001

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 01:16:06PM +0530, Shuddhabrata Sengupta wrote:
> VIRTUAL SIT INS AND ELECTRONIC DISTURBANCES
> Apologies for Cross Posting to those already on the Nettime List. This is
> an interview excerpted from a posting by Florian Schneider on "Virtual Sit
> Ins against Deprotation" on Nettime earlier today. The interview, itslef,
> with Ricardo Dominguez, offers a very interesting take on what practical
> everyday political action can be like on the Internet.  A well coordinated
> virtual sit in,cannot be construed as 'Illegal', yet, can be quite
> crippling to the target.

These so called virtual sit-ins are also known under another name, Denial of
Service attack, or DoS for short and Mr Dominguez is quite wise to not name
it so. Instead of just being a fight against a specific target (a sit-in
in front of an office building as Mr Dominguez likes to see it) it takes
along a great deal more than that and is actually more comparable to blocking
an entire street or block instead of just one office.
Imagine my www.peopledontlikemysite.com is hosted on a shared webserver,
together with 10 or 20, perhaps even 100 other customers. If someone would launch
such an attack the server would go beserk,it is not just not able to serve the target
site anymore but *none* of the sites, thus damaging the 10, 20 or hundred
other customers just as badly (or all the other shops and offices in the street).
Now imagine the target website is running on it's own dedicated webserver
(a city block) in my serverfarm (a city) connected to the internet on a 33 mbit
line (the bridge connecting the island the city is on to the rest of the world).
If the attack would be on a large enough scale the bridge would be so flooded
with traffic for this one part of the city that nobody can reach any other part
of the city anymore, thus doing *all* the shops and offices in that city
(customers in the serverfarm) harm.
DoS attacks are considered the lowest of the low, any moneky can do it and
sadly enough there's not much that can be done against it. The saddest thing
though is that these so called hacktivists don't even seem to realize this, perhaps
they just don't care. I guess all is fair in love and getting your name in the
newspaper...

As far as the legal issues are concerned: I am quite certain that legal action
can be taken against these so called virtual sit-ins since it is quite
clearly disturbing normal network operations and done with malicious intent.
The problem is getting proof and since all the floods are distributed across the
net it can be quite hard to figure out what were genuine requests and what not
so most simply won't bother since it will cost only more time and money then
the attack already did. Then comes the other, perhaps most important question:
who are they to disturb services for the rest of the world just because they
don't agree with something? If people have a problem with KLM arilines next, fine
with me, take it to the court, but if it prevents me or others from getting
tickets online they will only piss people off making themselves more infamous
than their target. Honestly, I wish these peoplke would spent their time in more
constructive ways of fighting for their cause.

> Think of what it could imply in terms of a sudden silent virtual sit in on
> the Sardar Sarovar Dam Website, or on any of your favourite ministry or
> media business sites.

It would have as result that the government will have you arrested for disturbing
behaviour, getting crowds to follow you and electronic sabotage. Exit Shuddha,
getting locked up forever for an action that will be forgotten by the rest of the
world the day after.
As for the media websites, they will make you the bad guy and I would agree with
them. Just because a site lists content you don't like doesn't mean you have the
right to silence it. Imagine people would not like what you think and silence you
for that Shuddha... The beauty of the net is that for any site saying something you
don't like you can start 10 that say something the other site doesn't like, get that
in the media and you'll probably earn more respect that with a lame sit-in.

Just my 2 rupees,

Menso