[Reader-list] Virtual Sit Ins and Electronic Disturbances

Mrityunjoy Chatterjee joy at sarai.net
Tue May 29 04:23:05 IST 2001

I have few things to mention regarding Shuddha and Menso's posting.

In India very often we can see campaigns on TV and other media against
protest, strike and sit-in etc.  In most of these campaigns we can see how
so called 'others' are affected by the protest or strike etc.  Even the
news agencies also interview the 'others' to discredit the act of protest
or strike.

I am not saying that others are not affected but we need to see closely the
definition of the word 'others'. Others are not unknown celestial objects.
They are only the part of the society. Creating opinions in favour through
spreading the word is only a part of a larger thing to be done. Similarly
protests and strikes are also part of that.

Just by sharing the issues or creating opinion is not enough, one has to do
some thing to shake the reluctant authority. Sit in is one such non-violent
way to push the authority.

During the WTO summit in Seattle we saw the effectiveness of such act. We
can always argue about the philosophy of the protesters but they had an
global impact that we can never deny.

Joy