[Reader-list] Re: Documenta11's New Delhi

Okwui at aol.com Okwui at aol.com
Wed May 30 19:57:20 IST 2001

Dear all,

I have followed with keen interest some of the postings on this site around
Documenta11’s second platform in New Delhi. Despite the imprecision of much
of the commentary, I wish to draw one simple conclusion, namely that critique
in all its aspects (intellectual, practical, and otherwise) is a healthy
thing in all matters of public debate. This therefore is the principal reason
for this response: to correct the unfortunate perception of what in the
ongoing discussion has passed for discourse. There is evident satisfaction
from this end that there exists now a concrete basis to scrutinise the work
of a cultural behemoth such as Documenta, in the full glare of public
discourse. When I put together the program of Documenta along three years
ago, it seemed already clear that for Documenta11 to have any meaning as a
public event, one must do more than evoke the name of its public feature, but
must rather move towards building a different sort of public sphere that does
not assume apriori, the notion that it already exists either as a public
institution or as an exhibition. If one could stop for a moment, qua Homi
Bhabha to ask: "What is the location of culture today?" Or to frame it in
another way: "what is the location of contemporary art as it is presently
circumscribed within the general logic of the today's global condition?" This
question goes further than simply rephrase an already wornout notion that
comes with certain theological aspects of the virtues of global capitalism
and its attendant consequences for how we experience, theorise, historicise
culture today, but effectively engages the fundamental problem of how we must
all think about and position ourselves around "global" exhibitions. In
confronting this predicament as a curator, I wanted to move the exhibitionof
Documenta11 a bit off from the logic of the mega event that has been central
to its very identity, and instead to settle and concentrate on a series of
smaller, more intimate public debates, that is to say to evolve the entire
critical operation of the exhibition into a series of discursive events
instead of one grand event.

To do so one also needed to interrogate the parameters of artistic discourse
upon which large scale international/global exhibitions assume their
legitimacy. Obviously, I have more than a curatorial interest in this
inquiry. I can therefore state that my interest is also both practical and
intellectual. I do not merely share in the simplistic notion of certain
belated and dunderheaded forms of institutional critique and pseudo-globalist
moralising such as has been smuggled into this discussion by Mr. Phillip
Poccok’s odious contribution (I shall return to that later) that takes a wild
scatter shot approach into the dark as one way of unsettling the so-called
global/colonial hegemony (a clearly confused conflation), rather the object
of any serious discourse must work first to establish and declare its method.

It is here that I must remind our readers that the platforms in New Delhi,
like in Vienna, Berlin, St. Lucia, and Lagos are manifestations of our intent
to establish the grounds and method of our discourse. It does so not merely
to displace and deterritorialise Documenta’s given mass public nature in
Kassel, but to bring to question whether it is in fact tenable under the
prevailing conditions of globalisation to view an important venue such as
Documenta as a closed circuit in the larger global interest or as a vessel to
simply absorb and assimilate subaltern knowledge. Therefore, I want to place
full emphasis on the idea that to reconstitute the debate of this event, its
impressive record notwithstanding, we must also be willing to make tenuous
the grounds of Documenta’s legend, namely its very impenetrability by other
forums and spaces of knowledge production, other audiences, and other ways of
knowing and living and producing culture within the current global juncture.
I can even confidently insist that it is not Documenta11’s ambition to make
an art exhibition, but instead to focus on taking the measure of the
processes out of which culture emerges not as product, but as a complex of
critical ideas to be worked through, translated and interpreted. If this
means risking being a touch prolix, so be it, the better not to relapse into
thinking of exhibitions as purely spaces where the grounds of a materialist
notion of object relations are exhibited and consumed. This means then we
need to ask a simple question; "what kind of public sphere is an exhibition
such as Documenta?" I will first concede that such a public sphere brings
with it pressing demands for what it’s content should be and who should
contribute to it. On all counts the five constellations that represent the
principal thrust of Documenta11’s platforms are simply an experiment where
the result does not rest on the universal or general acceptance of each
scenario. Instead, the five platforms provide an opportunity to conduct our
research and work in a transparent, public manner. This means, that we also
need to develop a more complex understanding of what an international public
is with regards to Documenta’s averred claim that it is the "most important
international exhibition of its kind". Given this averredness, do we take it
as a general matter of historical accuracy that all acts of naming, claims
for itself, a priori, the significance that is inscribed in that naming? I
think not.

We live in a complex and complicated world and increasingly as curators,
intellectuals, artists, scholars, etc. we are called upon by an enlarged
global public sphere to define and render with greater precision the ground
upon which the agency of our individual work rests. To do so then, one must
do more than appropriate the globalist legitimation which exhibitions like
Documenta claim for themselves and begin to develop and constitute in Pierre
Bourdeiu’s sense the field of a general curatorial discourse that does not
merely instrumentalise art and append it to discourse and vice versa. This
seems to me one central misunderstanding of our work in New Delhi. From the
perspective of someone based in Delhi, one may try to understand and
sympathise with the anxiety and even the resentment towards a project such as
Documenta11’s, especially in what may be seen as its principal presumption,
namely to bring its discourse to an India it has no historical relationship
with. But I cannot share in the rather surprising hint of Indocentrism that
has lurked into the interpretation of the events. My remarks here mainly
concern two postings by Monica Narula and Mr. Phillip Pocock.

I begin with Ms. Narula’s claim that India Habitat Center where the
exhibition and symposium were held is "not the easiest place to enter if you
do not have enough capital, cultural and otherwise", while this observation
at its base may be seen as true, my contrary observation is that given the
complex system of class and caste in India, in fact Ms. Narula’s materialist
deployment of marxist theory in her reading of culture and capital appends to
itself a consciousness of a wellworn stereotype which pits on the one side
the decadent, privileged West and on the other the exploited,
underprivileged, excluded periphery. We need a better theory to grapple with
this dilemma asthe distinguished economist Amartya Sen reminds us in his book
"Development as freedom." Freedom's viccissitudes alows us the critical
agency to work through via honest debate the ways to confront the basic fact
that there is great abuse, injustice and inequity against marginal states,
economies, and cultures in the present global arrangement. But in the
critique of such abuse, inequity, and injustice we need sharper, more
principled, sophisticated and analytical methods to confront the ways
transnational, supranational, and powerful states undermine the basic rights
of the less powerful.

Having said that, the critique of Documenta11’s platform in Delhi on this
ground seems to me misplaced. The fact is quite basic and clear, we worked
very closely with Dr. Alka Pande the curator of the exhibition gallery at
India Habitat Center to organise the symposium and exhibition. Dr. Pande was
not only an excellent interlocutor and partner but also a careful, sensitive
and highly informed guide through the convoluted system of patronage and
competition that is part of the daily reality of a large cosmopolitan capital
city like Delhi.  She worked quite hard not only to organize all our efforts
as a co-organiser, but wanted above all to make The India Habitat Center a
hospital place for all and sundry. It was our abiding wish that the symposium
and exhibition reach a wide spectrum of people in the art community, the
academic and university community and an interested general public. The
symposium was free of charge (including lunch), no one was turned away and
the Delhi media (television, web magazines, newspapers, magazines, radio,
journals) covered the event vigorously. In fact, I was surprised and taken
aback by the amount of coverage. The second point concerning Ms. Narula’s
statement is that this is the least attended cultural event she has seen in
India, flies in the face of the fact that hundreds of people registered for
the conference with attendance from a diverse grouping of people which
included students, activists, filmmakers, artists, academics, members of the
diplomatic corps, etc. The symposium over the course of its five days
continuously had attendance that was diverse, with some attendees coming from
Bombay, and other cities.  As a veteran of many conferences in Africa, Latin
America, North America, Asia, and Europe, this number on a steady basis over
five days is remarkable and people in Delhi said as much for the public of
symposiums in the city. I do not know therefore know which barometer Ms.
Narula uses to measure attendance.  Besides, it was never the stated goal of
the platforms to produce a rock concert.

My next point concerns her second posting about "the general ignorance of
India on the part of visiting artists and scholars", what’s evidently
saddening about this point is that again it recapitulates another assumption
about intellectuals as knowing, worldly, and in full possession of knowledge
of all places on this planet. A cursory reading of Amitav Ghosh's "The Iman
and the Indian" would give us pause in this direction. God forbid that I
should be a full master of the history of Germany as a prerequisite for my
appointment three years ago as the artistic director of Documenta11. In the
guise of agreeing with Shuddha’s more nuanced evocation of what he calls "the
asymetery of ignorance" Ms. Narula forgets that such assymetery is merely a
notation on the larger disjunction between intellectuals who work in very
specific fields and the more general, albeit touristic, sense of knowing
where you have traveled to. In fact, if she had cared to stay through the
course of the conference she would have learned that many speakers made quite
concrete and intellectually sound observations about India, namely the five
Indian’s who presented papers in the conference: Urvashi Butalia, Dilip
Simeon, Rustom Barucha, Shahid Amin, and Gurjot Mahli; secondly Alfredo Jaar
spoke about his work on the Bhopal disaster, while Mahmood Mamdani’s talk
also reflected this very question. Of the 20 presentations a number of
speakers either spoke directly on or evoked India. Why is that seen as
insufficient. Every intellectual exchange allows the possibility for the
broadening of what Shuddha exhorts "transcultural intellectuals" to do namely
to "enlarge their horizon of curiosity." Such enlargement is not merely
reserved for visiting scholars to India. I will conclude on this point by
merely remarking that Babri Masjid and Partition in India as two cleavages in
contemporary India’s painful memory points to the simple fact that within the
discourse of the platform in Delhi, India’s experience is not unique. On the
Hollywoodness of Ghandi’s Experiments with Truth, a general sense of
historical precision may remind our dear panelist that Ghandi’s truth is not
an Indian truth, but a personal quest, an act of individual examination of
consciousness and truth. I must also remind her that Ghandi’s conception of
non-violence was formulated in South Africa and deployed to full effect in
India, a truly transcultural philosophy if there is one.  About the
centrality of Partition and Babri Masjid, it may be important to recall the
commentary of a South Indian in the audience during the very last session of
the symposium who insisted that in Kerala and in South India from where she
comes that Partition and Babri Masjid are seen exactly as a North Indian
problem that does not concern them. Urvashi Butalia was obviously right in
pointing out to her that that is not the case given the ascendancy of Hindu
Majoritarianism in India.  I wish to note also that we should do away with
the gratuitous notions of imperial/truly local cleavage that oftentimes
informs the discourse on difference. On this count I thought it was not only
ungracious, but also an unnecessary cheap shot on the part of Monica in the
caricature of the jetsetting academic from New York she painted at the end of
her posting. Contrary to that caricature, non of the speakers are jetsetting
academics. We should also begin to realise that there is nothing glamorous
about traveling in cramped economy seats, deprived of sleep, and basic
necessities and still arrive to engage and contribute in a measured and
worthwhile manner to a professional debate. I do not believe that we need to
stoop to the level of disparaging guests to make the real important point of
inequality of access, the muteness of non-hegemonic voices in the all
important questions around which a viable transcultural discourse is
constructed.

I come presently to Mr. Pocock, on whose postings, I frankly do not want to
expend much thought or energy. Suffice it to say that Mr. Pocock seems
clearly avid to play the game of hubris which only the most tin-earred,
self-appointed minders of the gates against imperialism, colonialism, or
other such nonsense he espouses, can adopt. But what makes his ludicrous
attempt at pompous indignation unsavoury is his sudden swerve into that
crooked road of race baiting. Like all intolerant demagogues and bigots his
suggestion that the invited Indian speakers are government appointees flies
in the face of the facts and makes little sense. However, what is truly
remarkable is the fact that members of Sarai as hosts of this forum shy away
from the fundamental issue of challenging Mr. Pocock’s idea that the
diasporic Indian speakers (there are in fact only two) like my colleague Dr.
Sarat Maharaj and Prof. Mahmoud Mamdani are " foreigners of Indian origin
with questionable roots". We have heard plenty of this sort of racist talk in
European politics and media lately in Italy (Northern League, Forza Italia,
National Alliance), Belgium (VlamBlok); Austria (Freedom Party), France
(National Front), Great Britain (British National Front, Tory and remember
Enoch Powell’s "rivers of blood" speech or Lord Tebbitt’s "Cricket Test"). In
each of these examples, "foreigner" is the short hand for mindless
intolerance and much violence both to civil discourse and the body.

My question to Mr. Pocock is: what sort of Indian is good enough in your
questionable roots test? And  by what degree should their foreignness
determine their exclusion or inclusion in areas of discourse they otherwise
are highly qualified to speak on? On the account of "foreigners of Indian
origin" he may do well to read the book of one such foreigner, the
distinguished Mahmoud Mamdani. His book "From Citizen to Refugee"  on the
fate of Ugandan Indians after their expulusion by Idi Amin may  yet give Mr.
Pocock a measure of what claims of foreignness may indeed accomplish.

On the part of Documenta11’s platforms, I am under no illusion that it’s very
premise will neither be challenged nor questioned. That’s par for the course
and we welcome every honest, fair, and informed critique. In fact we not only
welcome such critique, it is already clearly inscribed in the very logic of
the platforms as discursive areas of passionate intellectual, artistic, and
civil debate.

I thank you all for your time.

Okwui Enwezor
Artistic Director