[Reader-list] indataportal.com

Arun Mehta arunmehtain at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 23:24:29 IST 2001

I hope you will pay a visit to indataportal.com, which is an attempt at
what I call technology activism -- using technology as a means to solve
problems of developing countries.

 From 11-26 Nov, I will be in California. While it is always a pleasure to
meet old friends, I do also hope to make some progress on these projects as
well, so if you can suggest who else might be interested and knowledgeable
in them, that would be terrific.

As you will see at the indataportal site,  my interest is in:
1) distance learning, which is critical if quality education is to reach
large numbers of people -- there simply aren't enough good teachers in
emerging areas, and they certainly don't want to live away from the big cities
2)Radio, being the only telecom device the poorest can afford. But using
this involves running rings around a restrictive government, as well as
making intelligent use of cable networks and the Internet (where we have
now set up a virtual recording studio).
3) wireless community networks, based on 802.11b technology, as the fastest
and cheapest way of bringing last-mile access to hospitals, educational
institutions, villages, etc.
4) embedded computers running Linux -- as a means of energy saving, higher
safety, and, for many applications, low-cost computing.
5) with Vickram Crishna, as part of Radiophony, I'm working on a
communicator for Professor Stephen Hawking, which we are also seeking to
adapt to Indian languages, and the needs of people with different kinds of
handicap
6) I have been in the forefront of demands that the hidden-camera tapes
used by tehelka.com, to expose corruption in defense deals, be forensically
examined, as there are serious grounds to suggest that they have been
tampered with, e.g. inserting audio afterwards, see
http://www.indataportal.com/tehelka/tampering.htm

If you are likely to be in California during this time, and would have time
for us to meet, do let me have your phone nos. Please mail me at
delhirasta at yahoo.com, and do feel free to forward this to individuals or
organisations that might be interested in a meeting or any of these subjects.

Arun

Arun Mehta, B-69, Lajpat Nagar-I, New Delhi -- 110024, India. Phone
+91-11-6841172, 6849103.  http://www.radiophony.com mehta at vsnl.com