[Reader-list] Dr.Veena Das on WTC

Bhrigu bhrigu at sarai.net
Wed Nov 14 01:32:26 IST 2001

For those who were not able to open the essay as an attachment because of
incompatability of format or any other problem, i am re-sending the essay as
part of the mail.

Violence and Translation
Veena Das
My writing on the events of September 11th is on two registers– the public
event of spectacular destruction in New York and the private events made up
of countless stories of grief, fear, and anticipationi.  I hope I can speak
responsibly to both, neither trivializing the suffering of the victims of the
September11th attack and those in mourning for them, as in the rhetoric of
“deserved suffering” (as if nations and individuals were painlessly
substitutable) – nor obscuring the unspeakable suffering of wars and
genocides in other parts of the world that framed these events. A recasting
of these events into conflicting genealogies by the politics of mourning in
the public sphere raises the issue of translation between different
formulations through which these events were interpreted and indeed,
experienced.
There are two opposed perspectives on cultural difference that we can discern
today- one that emphasizes the antagonism of human cultures as in some
version of the thesis on “clash of civilizations” and the second that
underlines the production of identities through circulation and hence the
blurring of boundaries. Both, however, are based on the assumption that human
cultures are translatable. Indeed, without some power of self-translatability
that makes it possible for one to imagine oneself using the categories of the
other, human cultures would not be able to live on any register of the
imaginary. The stark denial of this translatability on both sides of the
present conflict concerns me most though I note that this is not to espouse a
vision of justice that is somehow even- handed in distributing blame. My
concern is of a different kind - I fear that classical concepts in
anthropological and sociological theory provide scaffolding to this picture
of untranslatability despite our commitment to the understanding of
diversity. There are obviously specific issues at stake in this particular
event of destruction, its time and its space, and the response casting it as
a matter of war rather than, say, one concerning crime. But it seems to me
that there is a deeper grammar that is at work here that invites us to
investigate the conditions of possibility for this kind of declaration of war
– as a genre of speech - to take place.
One of the tenets of postmodern theorization is that the concrete and finite
expressions of multiplicity cannot be referred back to a transcendental
center –the grounds for judgment cannot be located in either the faculty of
reason or in common corporeal experience.  Although postmodern theory does
not suggest that diversity must be valued for itself – indeed, it is part of
its struggle to provide for conversation and recognition of otherness without
any predetermined criteria for the evaluation of divergent claims - it does
raise important questions about the withdrawal of recognition to the other.
I have suggested elsewhere that difference when it is cast as non-criterial,
becomes untranslatable precisely because it ceases to allow for a mutual
future in language.ii  The shadowing of this into skepticism in which trust
in categories is completely destroyed and our access to context is removed
transforms forms of life into forms of death. Some such issue is at stake
here in the Taliban’s brutality against women on behalf of a pure Islam on
the one hand, and a war waged on behalf of “Western civilization” on the
other. After all it is the United States that spawned the very forces it is
fighting as a defence against communism – the then enemy of freedom and
values of Western democracyiii.  There are no innocents in the present war at
the level of collectivities despite the powerful deployment of the figure of
the “innocent” killed on both sides of the divide.
 Elsewhere I have questioned the purity of the concepts that are put in play
when claims are made on behalf of tradition, religious autonomy, modernity,
or human rights. The translation of these concepts is not a matter of
something external to culture but something internal to it. It is when a
particular vision both refuses pluralism as internal to its culture and
claims finality for itself in some avatar of an end of history that a
struggle for cultural rights and the necessity to protect “our way of life”
turns into violence and oppression.
Allow me to take the pronouncements on events of September 11th, that the
attack on the World Trade Center in New York was an attack on civilization or
on values of freedom. I take these as statements in ordinary language
propelled into a global public sphere from which there is no flight - for
they function, it seems to me, as anthropological language. What these
statements conjure is the idea of the United States (herewith America, not
illegitimately I think) as embodying these values - not contingently, not as
a horizon in relation to struggles within its borders against, say, slavery,
racism, or the destruction of native American populations, but as if a
teleology has particularly privileged it to embody these values. This is why
the issues cannot be framed by the bearer of these utterances in terms of
American interests but as of values that America embodies (not merely
expresses) in its nation state. So the point of view of totality exists in
these utterances not in the divine whose reason is not accessible to us, but
in the body of the American nation in which the gap between the particular
and the universal, the contingent and the necessary is indeed sought to be
cancellediv. Now it may surprise one that in the country that has given so
much political and public space to multiculturalism, and when much effort has
gone into signaling that this conflict is not a modern replay of the crusades
(despite slips of tongue)– political language slides into the idea of America
as the privileged site of universal values. It is from this perspective that
one can speculate why the talk is not of the many terrorisms with which
several countries have lived now for more than thirty years, but with one
grand terrorism – Islamic terrorism. In the same vein the world is said to
have changed after September 11th. What could this mean except that while
terrorist forms of warfare in other spaces in Africa, Asia, or Middle East
were against forms of particularism, the attack on America is seen as an
attack on humanity itself.
The point about many terrorisms versus a single grand terrorism that
threatens American values that are seen to embody the force of history –
teleology and eschatology – is indeed significant. As is well known, the last
three decades have seen a transformation in the idea of war. While there is a
monopoly over high technology of destruction, the low technologies have
proliferated freely, encouraged and abetted by geopolitical interests. The
social actors engaged in this warfare in Africa, or in parts of the Middle
East or Asia are neither modern states, nor traditional polities but new
kinds of actors (sometimes called warlords) created by the configuration of
global and local forces.vFurther it is the very length of these wars – some
lasting for more than thirty years that allows for the constantly changing
formations – slippage between the categories of warlords, terrorists,
insurgents, and freedom fighters reflects the uncertainty around these social
actors.  It is thus the reconfiguration of terrorism as a grand single global
force – Islamic terrorism – that simultaneously cancels out other forms of
terrorism and creates the enemy as a totality that has to be vanquished in
the interests of a universalism that is embodied in the American nation.
There is a mirroring of this discourse in the Taliban who also reconfigure
themselves as historically destined to embody (not only represent) Islamic
destiny. Ironically the clash of civilization thesis is repeated in the
pronouncements of the Taliban leadership.
The tremendous loss of life and the style of killing in the present wars –
call them terrorism (including state terrorism), call them insurgency, call
them wars of liberation, all raise the issue of theodicy. Yet, while in many
other countries the wounds inflicted through such violence are acknowledged
as attesting to the vulnerability of human life – in the case of American
society there is an inability to acknowledge this vulnerability. Or rather
the vulnerability to which we, as embodied beings are subject, the
powerlessness, is recast in terms of strength. And thereby the
representations of the American nation manage to obscure from view, the
experiences of those within its body politics who were never safe even before
September 11th.  While many have heard arrogance in these statements  - to my
ears they are signs of the inability to address pain. Consider the following
passage in Nietzsche on the moment of the production of ressentiment

to deaden, by means of a more violent emotion of any kind, a tormenting
secret pain that is becoming unendurable, and to drive it out of
consciousness at least for the moment: for that one requires an affect, as
savage an affect as possible, and, in order to excite that any pretext at
allvi.
I am obviously not suggesting any conspiracy theory, or that a pretext was
needed for subsequent bombing of Afghanistan but pointing to the deep need to
show the tattered body of the “enemy” as a rational response to the September
11th attacks. In the first instance, it seemed to me that this was the site
of punishment as spectacle. Michel Foucault claimed that “
justice no longer
takes public responsibility for that violence that is bound up with its
practice”vii, but here we find an emphasis on visible intensity through which
justice is to be theatrically displayed pointing to the ways in which
Foucault might have overstated the case for disciplinary power as the
dominant mode for production of normality under the regime of modernity. On
further reflection though, it appears to me that theatrical display of
sovereign power is only part of the story.  It is the further need to replace
the pain of the nagging questions posed to American citizens about what
relation their pain bears to the pain of the others - what kind of
responsibility is theirs when successive regimes elected by them have
supported military regimes, brutal dictatorships and warlords mired in
corruption with no space for the exercise of critical monitoring of politics
in the Middle East?  If violence has replaced politics in the present
globalized spaces in this regions, then surely it is only by acknowledging
that pain as “ours” that a global civil society could respond. Instead of
replacing the pain with another more violent and savage affect, it would have
to engage in a different way with the pain inflicted on it.
	What are the obstacles in acknowledging this pain? Collective identities are
not only a product of desires for recognition – they are equally forged by
our relation to death. Yet it is in the classical theories of society that we
learn that the “other” is not part of human society because she has a totally
different relation to death. Consider the contrast between altruistic suicide
and egoistic suicide in Emile Durkheim’s classic analysis – I suggest that
this is the site at which a radical untraslatability of other cultures seeps
into sociological analysis. It is no accident that it is in defining the
subject’s relation to death that Durkheim finds himself positing the kind of
subjectivity to the other that domesticates the threat of their forms of
dying to the self-understanding of the modern subject. Consider the following
passage in which he spells out the distinction between altruistic suicide and
egoistic suicide.
The weight of society is thus brought to bear upon him to lead him to destroy
himself. To be sure society intervenes in egotistic suicide as well, but its
intervention differs in the two cases. In one case it speaks the sentence of
death; in the other it forbids the choice of death. In the case of egotistic
suicide it suggests or counsels at most; in the other case it compels and it
is the author of conditions and circumstances making this obligation coercive
(emphasis supplied).viii
India was the classic soil for this kind of suicide for Durkheim. But he
makes a broader contrast between the “crude morality” and the “refined
ethics” of societies with altruistic and egoistic suicide - the former sets
no value on human life while the latter sets human personality on so high a
pedestal that it can no longer be subordinated to anything. As he says,
“Where altruistic suicide is prevalent, man is always ready to give his life;
however, at the same time, he sets no more value on that of another.” In
contrast,  “A broader sympathy for human suffering succeeds the fanatical
devotions of primitive times.”ix
	Now I am not going to argue that the making of the subject whose mode of
dying is to kill him or herself in the service of killing others for a
greater cause is transparent. I will suggest though that the way language is
deployed to render some forms of dying as fanatical (e.g. by terrorists) and
others as representing the supreme value of sacrificing oneself (e.g. as in
values of patriotism) blocks any road to understanding when and under what
circumstances individual life ceases to hold value. It is not that in one
case society compels where as in the other case it counsels, but that by
recasting desperate acts as those which close all conversations, there is an
invitation to violence that raises the stakes - it leaves no other way of
giving recognition except in the negativities through which more violence is
created. It is not accidental that even a language of war is not sustained in
the political pronouncements of American leaders for war has become
transformed into a hunt thereby using the rhetoric strategy of animalizing
the other. Hence there is the preponderance of such verbs as “smoking them
out” or “getting them out of their holes”.
Instead of Manichean battles between good and evil, there would be greater
room for a tolerable peace if it was possible to attend to the violences of
everyday life, to acknowledge the fallibility and the vulnerability to which
we are all subject, and to acknowledge that the conflict is over interests,
and further that these need to be renegotiated. It is not over uncompromising
values.  Most people in the world learn to live as vulnerable beings to the
dangers that human cultures pose to each other. Between that vulnerabilityx
and the desperation that seeks to annihilate the other, there is a terrible
gap.  In other words it is to the picture of transfiguration of violence
rather than to its elimination or eradication in a war- like mode, that I
draw attention. Different, even new ways of being Muslim are tied up to the
creation of democratic spaces just as modern democracies would be deepened by
the full participation of those who have been excluded from the public
spheres in the West. Might we be able to mourn with the survivors of
September 11th without the necessity of appropriating their grief for other
grander projects? Whether conditions for this possibility exist when the
languages of division are so virulent in the public sphere– I am pessimist,
but I pray that I am wrong.