[Reader-list] Art of the Future

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Tue Nov 20 13:04:43 IST 2001

When the website anthology-of-art.net began to ask the following
question, Nancy Adjania replied with the essay below.
"What is, in the context of contemporary art, your vision of a future Art?"

Take the Fast with the Slow
Nancy Adajania, editor ArtIndia Magazine
(www.anthology-of-art.net)

In an age of fatal de-sensitisation, when the horrific and the
terrible are routine, it is almost inevitable that I should choose to
start with an apocalyptic vision of the future: this vision will be
less of a celebration and more of a cautionary tale. In the future, I
suspect, art will undergo a comprehensive process of 'de-matting'. I
am employing this financial metaphor, drawing it from the realm of
stocks and shares, to push to the extreme the idea of a
de-materialised and de-localised art of the future.

  In the scenario that I will outline here, such conventional art
institutions as galleries and museums will perhaps become defunct (as
the cyber-artist Jeffrey Shaw notes playfully, discussing his
installation, 'The Virtual Museum', the telematic living room of the
future will be occupied by "sedentary travellers in a simulated
world" with world-ranging access to art holdings at their cybernetic
fingertips). Theoretically, at least, technology
will ensure that the process of production, access and reception of
art will be fully democratised. Art, therefore, will be vehiculated
through telematics: this will transform not only its form, but also
its content, in radical ways.

  'De-mat art', as I will call this telematics-based art of the
future, will function in a constantly changing virtual landscape that
is trans-time and trans-space. Rapid advances in the field of
telematics (especially the increasing use of computer systems in the
former Third World) will ensure the sustenance of such a
de-materialised art, and also facilitate the entry into this new
space of art of impulses that were not formerly regarded as
'art-worthy': we will have a further democratization here, an
opening-up of the terrain of art-making to constituencies that were
not formerly regarded as art-makers, or whose experiences have not
been recognised by formal art institutions as a valid basis for art.
The monopoly of academy-trained artists will be challenged by
citizens at large, empowered by cybernetics.

  Correspondingly, with the dismantling of the conventional art
infrastructure (or, at least, its marginalisation in favour of
telematics-based art venues), the users of de-mat art will no longer
belong to the traditional community of art-gallery viewers. New
constituencies of users -- let us call them cybernauts -- would
emerge.

  Here comes the caveat, however: even as the process of art-viewing
becomes de-hierarchised, art may run the risk of becoming
indistinguishable from entertainment, sharing a hyphenated
relationship with fashion and commerce, it will always be topical. We
must reflect on whether it would not, in its very novelty, cease to
have a determinate bearing on the textures and directions of our
lives, if it is constantly ephemeral, spasmodic, if it
scintillates briefly before our eyes and is gone? This momentariness
of the new de-mat art experience will, perhaps, negate the values of
more conventional art-works: those of contemplative energy, poised
presence,
critical subversion and robust affirmation. Will de-mat art sacrifice
substance to speed?

  Discussing the harmful effects of speed and movement in a telematic
environment, in Popular Defense and Ecological Struggles, the
cultural theorist Paul Virilio asks, "And what if the primary goal of
travel was not
to 'go' somewhere, but simply to no longer be where one is? What if
the aim of movement has become like that of military invasions or
sports records: to go faster while going nowhere, in other words to
disappear?"

  This phenomenon of "going fast, but going nowhere" can be described,
in the context of virtual art, as the art of the fast lane (as
against the slow lane of conventional art, based on the display of
physical art-works). In a speed-saturated virtual art scenario,
artistic expressions would become even more aleatory and fractal than
today. At the culmination of de-mat art there would be a total
disintegration of the image.

  Let us, polemically, accentuate this alarmist vision of the art of
the fast lane. Here, technology augments the role of human agency so
that the mind-body functions through prostheses. With so much free
play on offer, the
possibility of aleation, coupled with the sheer availability of
visual and textual content, makes the viewers/users forget what they
were looking for in the first place. When the viewer/user is
clicking/jumping from one hypertext to another, s/he is always on the
move, but motion is not movement, just as speed is not a guarantee of
arrival, or even of discovery. Motion and speed become goals in
themselves, and this is a dangerous development.

  Eventually, this situation would lead to an atrophy of the senses.
The producers and receivers of art will no longer function as
autonomous beings within their mind-bodies; they would be handicapped
without their machines.
And now, with advances in biotechnology that may change our faculties
through implants rather than prostheses, the enslavement to
technology, and especially to telematics, would be complete,
insidious, and binding. In this,
dromomanic environment (in Virilio's phrase; the word comes from the
Greek 'dromos', meaning a race, a pursuit of speed) we may become a
superhuman species, but we would lose the possibilities of wonderment
that go with being human.

  Telematics, a product of globalisation, is no longer just an option:
it is a condition. Speaking for my own country, India, it has been
estimated that there will be 4 million Internet users by 2003, to be
followed by an exponential growth in their numbers. Already, after
the opening-up of the Indian economy through the 'liberalisation'
policies determined by the International Monetary Fund, we have
witnessed the installation of several thousand roadside cybercafés
across the country. Dromology has changed the pace, space and
architecture of the Indian street, and the emergence of a
cyber-community cutting across traditional boundaries of class,
caste, gender, region.

  Two Indian cities, Hyderabad and Bangalore, are considered the
dream-destinations of the software industry. Consider Hyderabad, for
instance: it was once the feudal capital of the Nizami kingdom and it
became the capital of the province of Andhra Pradesh after
independence. Today, it has been transformed by software dromomania
into a postmodern city of virtual finance, high technology,
spectacular entertainment and accelerated consumption.

  Not surprisingly, the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Chandrababu
Naidu, is a dedicated Netizen. Recently, a popular magazine ran a
story about his administration willing to respond to citizens'
grievances sent by email. But
what of the illiterate, the disempowered, those without access even
to the usual channels of justice, leave alone a PC terminal or a
lease-line? How do these people (who number in the millions) reach
the Chief Minister at his
email address?

  In rural Andhra Pradesh, outside the capital Hyderabad, poverty and
undernourishment are endemic conditions. Impoverished weavers, broken
by the failure of the cotton crop and the lack of insurance, continue
to commit
suicide. Maoist guerrillas continue their armed struggle for the
rights of the impoverished peasantry, and are engaged in a brutal war
with the police, but Chief Minister Naidu would not embellish his
website with such details: the website, like the entire image of
techno-savvy, is driven by the redemptive vision of global capital;
it is meant to attract foreign investment to the province. One need
not spell out, therefore, that cyber-access has become a simulation
of democracy in this case: an ersatz advertisement selling
technological progress as democratic progress!

  Neither cyber-access nor a nascent cyber-community translates
automatically into emancipation. Commenting on the unequal geography
of access in electronic space, Saskia Sassen talks of a new
"geography of centrality and
one of marginality." ("The Topoi of e space: Global Cities and Global
Value Chains", posted on Nettime, 28 October 1996, also available in
the Sarai Reader 01, and at www.sarai.net/journal.reader1.html) Can
the dromological architecture of cyberspace be made truly democratic?
Can it become a virtual venue for artistic and political activism?
This is where artists can, in the future, work as ethical and
political agents of change by setting up counter-republics in virtual
space, dynamising the dispersed cyber-community of the present into a
coherent public force.

  So that speed does not result in an implosion of space, these
republics should aspire to being truly res publica, "things of the
people". Take the fast with the slow, galvanise speed towards action
and not passive reception.
We should not allow technology to shape us. We should shape its
contours and make it more humane. If we do not want technology to
take over public spaces of protest and resistance, we will have to
alter the dromological
architecture of telematic space. Artists will have to explode the
one-way lanes of image-consumption and articulate broader political
and social needs through artistic strategies that enter public
debates laterally. Artists
will, perhaps, have to form alliances with activists, architects,
scientists and cultural theorists.

  They would have to set up multiple interfaces, getting out of even
the singular interface between the gallery and street which
fascinates so many artists today: already, it has become played out,
become an aestheticised act
without political edge. In formal terms, artists can use the device
of interruption, which, as Virilio put it (in conversation with
Sylvere Lotringer, in 'Pure War'), acts as punctuation to the
existent dromomania: "Interruption is the change of speed".

  When art becomes dromomanic, as we have seen, the image, which is an
irreducible unit of all art-works, becomes less dynamic, and gets
dispersed and fragmented. Fast-lane art has yet a few things to learn
from the
old-fashioned slow-lane art: the image in the slow lane, by reason of
its slowness, can develop substance, assert ethical weight and
determinacy. Being a physical entity, to be approached in space and
time, it provides within
itself a pause for reflection, revelation and contemplative attention
to the art-object. What it lacks in terms of reflecting the
accelerated momentum and dizzying transformations of the telematic
age, it makes up for in these ways.

  The lesson that the slow lane offers the fast is this: the freedom
promised by telematics will be realised only if there is actual
material empowerment: telematic freedom must be positioned within a
robust understanding of the
political economy, or else it is doomed to being mere fantasy-play.
Salvation lies neither in speed nor in inertia, then, but in their
creative re-working. The art of the future will be modulated between
the slow and the fast lanes,
especially for former Third World countries; for us, indeed, such a
modulation will be far saner than a plunge into the no-holds-barred,
no-upper-limit traffic of the fast lane, enticing as it is. After
all, artistic freedom without responsibility is like driving blind.

  And finally, so that art does not become a 'no-exit' situation, we
should embrace the Gandhian model of political resistance. Art,
whether material or de-mat, should be inspired by the strategy that
Mahatma Gandhi described as
satyagraha, a truth-offering, resistance that gives the self
autonomy, not by isolating it within ideological judgements, but by
inviting the world to share in the experiment of dialogue.
--
Monica Narula
Sarai:The New Media Initiative