[Reader-list] Art of the Future

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Nov 21 12:30:01 IST 2001

Thanks Monica for posting Nancy Adajania's text on Art for the Future and the
Future of Art.

As a response I am sending in my text which was published on the same website
 - www.anthology-of-art.net -

The ANTHOLOGY OF ART.NET project is an ongoing online collection of artwork
and writing on the future of art ,edited by Jochen Gerz and published by the
Braunschweig School of Art

The text is in the form of an answer to the following question, which was
asked of all the people who were asked to contribute texts to the website
Q : What is, in the context of contemporary art, your vision of a future art?

A : I see making or doing art as an argument between desire and reality. This
presupposes that I take seriously the reality of my desires. Desire is
predicated on the future. One desires something "to happen", one desires "to
become" someone, one desires "to have or hold on to"  something, "to be"
somewhere, or"to do" something. The "to happen" , "to become", "to have or
hold on to", "to be" , and  "to do" parts of this sentence means that the
thing  or situation desired is always just beyond the reach of the present
moment.

Art, which we might call the process by which desire, and its corollary,
imagination encounter the real, is at present held hostage to a framework of
institutional practices , canons and histories. These serve primarily to
separate art, or the domain of the aesthetic from the ethical, from the
everyday, from the domain of dealing with the day to day fact of making
meaning in difficult times. The future of art will depend on how far those
who work with art are prepared to  go in terms of restoring to art its
function of being that which involves a desire "to do' something with life,
and the world.

The ransom (which might free art)  involves a transaction by which we give up
the indices of our attachments to the sensible, rational ways of dealing with
an insane world  that we inhabit at present, for the sake of the slim chances
of the transformation of the terms of everyday life in the future.

To my mind, this is a wager worth taking up for consideration, and any person
who makes art, or lives with art, or has visions, epileptic fits, nightmares
and hangovers about art has to place bets, cut deals and count their chances
along these lines. To do this is to say "...yes, in a world where terror is
the breath of the real, I will imagine that it is still possible to
participate in the creation or transmission of objects and situations of
relentless and unforgiving beauty, by the clarity or confusion with which
they change the way I look at life, that by their very force, will bring to
bear another reality upon the world".

This is the reason for art to be what it can be, and this reason comes to us
from the territories of imagined futures. Which, if not better, are desired
as being markedly different from the world of the present.

Art can speak to us and state that the 'here and now' of this world (war,
terror, lies, money, power) can be something other than what it is. That when
our circumstances are  imprisoned by the reason for things to continue to be
what they are, for the future to be "more" of the present, it becomes all the
more necessary to claim for ourselves another future, in and through art. Art
can then be the restlessness of the desire for the future to be 'present' in
the present. It is the insertion, of the desired future into the present, of
locating an empty space and filling that with meaning. Even by absence, art
invokes the necessary reality of utopia.

It is as if the spray paint of potential experience, were to mark the walls
of the city of the present, enabling life to teach passers by, the citizens
of the present, the grammar and the lexicon of a new language  for talking
about the everyday-ness of the future.

It is to say - "here, take your passport, your newspaper, your identity card,
your work permit, your electoral register, your health record, your social
security number, your x ray, your bank statement, your doctors prescription,
your inheritance, your insurance, your wage bill, your shopping list, your
debt, your balance sheet, your inventory, your fear, your anxiety, your
boredom, your humiliation - and see what happens if you were to wet them,
make them into paste and fashion a papier mache object out of them, like you
did once with waste paper in primary school. Recall, for once the joy of
watching certainties being mashed into pulp. Watch how the glistening
laminate of the passport cover can run and melt when torched, see the figures
in the bank statement and the wage bill dance, watch the decimals explode,
witness fear dissolving..."

To make art for the future is to add substance to this speculation. To enact
it, to perform it, as one would a rite, is to change reality by making
another reality occur. To be witness to that art  is to listen to whispers
from the future, to decode signed and unsigned messages. These messages can
be laments, prophecies, or calls for celebration, or puzzles and enigmas, but
they will all ask us to turn away from the present moment on to some unmapped
and immediate tomorrow, which is not merely an "accumulation of todays".

All revolutionaries must learn to be artists, even if all artists need not be
revolutionaries.

What kind of artists can prepare us for the future. Artist who are willing to
hold in abeyance the barriers between a work and world, who can say "there is
no boundary behind which my work needs to be, of authorship, or patronage, or
curatorial frames within which it needs to be protected in order to survive"
Artists who are willing to be generous with themselves and be demanding of
life - artists who will give away their work, share their work, collaborate
and quarrel with others in the making of work and who will freely take from
life and from culture whatever is up for grabs. Artists who are not bothered
by either the pressure to be original or by the need to belong, artists whose
daily lives may be works in progress, and who can create ways of being and
working with others that are pleasurable and provocative. Artists for whom
there is no need to fetishize style, or manner, or technologies, or
practices, even while they evolve styles, take on manners, push the borders
of technologies and transform practices. Artists who, even if they sell in
the marketplace, know that the market only measures the vanity of the buyer,
not the worth of the artwork.

Such people, whether or not they are recognised as artists, or choose to call
themselves as such, may choose to be nameless, may be  comfortable in
ensembles and coalitions,  might perform different identities for different
purposes, and find themselves more often  in a fairground, on the street, in
a picket line,or on web site than they might be in a gallery, a museum or a
studio.

For me, the future of art, and the art of the future, hinges on the
recognition of these realities, and on artists, on all those who work with
art, choosing to create those ways in which they can work in the present that
anticipate imagined futures.

Shuddhabrata Sengupta, October 2001, New Delhi