[Reader-list] anti-war campaign

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Wed Oct 3 16:03:02 IST 2001

Thank you Naga for the postings. Felt confused by the text.

Some comments:

October 1984  was listening to a radio commentary of a cricket match
between India and Pakistan. I remember Sandeep Patil playing very well.
Suddenly the commentary stopped and one realized that the then prime
minister had been shot by two of her bodyguards. Over a period of 6 hours
the city was gripped by an unfathomable terror. The next few days the city
burnt and thousands of people belonging to a specific community (4000?)
were butchered. The then ruling dispensation rationalized it as `when a big
tree falls the earth shakes`. The suffering of those few days continues and
few understand the trajectories of those wounds and scars.

1991  A friend came home shaking in terror. "Bombing has started in the
deserts. It's being telecast live on CNN`. Those days the streets around my
college had large numbers of Saddam Hussein being sold. Slowly, with time,
images disappeared from the TV and the streets. No new images of the dead,
the dying or would-be dying appeared.

Few years later another friend suffered a nervous breakdown. He was trying
to help riot victims in camps in (the then) Bombay. The suffering inflicted
then continues today.

Three films made after the events: Machis; Fiza; Mission Kashmir. What do
these films tell us about the making of young men with hardened souls,
seething anger, and a monocular vision? They are transformed by events that
occur in their vicinity, it happens to them, to their near and dear ones.
These were all victims of local events but linked to a larger play of
power's cynical manipulation of `past suffering` and `present hardship`.

Convulsions and hardship are an everyday occurrence. They have their
victims and perpetrators. New victims and new perpetrators. And endless
permutations and combinations in which sometimes it is difficult to figure
out who is what. An endless loop. But in the process we have stronger and
lengthier barded wire fences, more earnest patrolling and waving of
insignias of supposed identification. Balance barabar kabhi nahin hota hai
(perfect balance will never be achieved). One death is never revenged by
another death. It needs a higher quantum to compensate for the time of
suffering and thus the spiral is upward and fiercer.

In difficult times it becomes important to ask questions that can cut into
this endless loop of destruction and death.

States are fairly cold-blooded `organisms-machines-rationalities` with very
little respect for hospitality. Their `outward look` is motivated by
self-interest, ambition and suspicion. Their inner gaze is equally
suspicious and obsessed with control and monitoring. Sometimes the `looks`
collide and, at times, get interlocked. Depending on the military power of
the states the `human cost` is factored in. Cynical times. Saddam Hussein
uses dying children to justify his power and Bush and his global allies are
using the 6000 dead as a rationale for his military action.

An impoverished man in a poster all around Delhi stares at us and the
byline reads `no actors, all victims` (it's an ad for a television
programme). The line keeps returning to my mind. Every power today wants to
portray themselves as victims. No actors, and thus no question of
responsibility and no ethical questioning of action or utterance.

Two words or phrases seem to have become common to explain the present
juncture: - `international terrorism` and `US foreign policy`. Both are
gathering an emotional shell and are capable of unleashing a reign of
terror. These are political categories and do not help us to understand the
complexity, contradictions and confusion of the present time. Amidst
present `moral fuzziness` these concepts will create an emotional universe
where any or every thing or people can be targets of assault either by
states or by proto-state organizations with a stake in state power.

The global configuration of  `Empire` is layered, contradictory and
complicatedly mediated through states and institutions, and the histories
of its formation are bathed in blood. We need to address this configuration
with concepts that cut through the fog and the eternal loop of
`action-reaction`, 'victim-perpetrator".

This is the time to build solidarities and accelerate resistance. Time to
think about suffering and imagine possible ways of living and thinking that
speaks a different vocabulary.

Let us think about the everyday suspicions and brutalities that people live
with. Otherwise a time will come when all of us will go so against each
other that we will sing our way to our graves. Someone commented a century
ago that the fall of capital would be a thousand times more barbaric than
the fall of Rome. Maybe he was correct!

best
Jeebesh