[Reader-list] Voices of Sanity - Reaching Out for Peace

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Tue Oct 9 15:49:33 IST 2001

Folks on this list should order copies and help distribute this
volume. see details below
best
Harsh Kapoor

==========

Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 09:58:09 +0530
From: Kamla Bhasin <k.bhasin at vsnl.com>
Subject: [Fwd: Voices of sanity]

  Dear [Š]

  As you perhaps know (through al the emails flying around) many of us
in  South Asia have been alarmed by the recent talk and action of
war, in  response o the attacks in the US. We have been mobilising
pubic opinion  through vigils for "Restraint and Reflection for
"Peace not War". Our  songs, slogans and banners have been repeating
"War is no answer",  "Countering terror with terror, will be a grave
error a crime against  humanity", "Are you with death or with life"
etc.

  Some of us gave a call for a Global Peace Vigil on October 2,
Mahatma  Gandhi's Birthday. In spite of the short notice the response
was very  good and most encouraging from different parts of the world.

  If the movement for peace and justice gets strengthened after the
tragedy and the subsequent jingoism, everything will not be lost. We
are  most encouraged to see all the writings for peace, against war
and  violence.

  As a next step in our actions for peace Smitu Kothari, Bindia Thapar
and  I are putting together a book entitled "Voices of Sanity" It is
174 page  book to be shared with all those working/demanding peace.
It has about  40 illustrations/short poems to go beyond the mind. The
contents of the  book are given below.

  The blurb of the book says "Voices of Sanity presents a diversity of
voices encompassing a myriad of written expression-analysis, emotion,
anger, revulsion, hope. These voices range from Arundhati Roy to
Eduardo  Galeona, two of the world's most politically committed
writers to the  reflections of Edward Said and Susan Sontag; from
statements of  activists who have been at the forefront of the
struggles against  developmental destruction to those who have
experienced life in the  trenches of conflict; from celebrated
journalists, like John Pigler and  Praful Bidwai to Jonathan Schell,
from Fidel Castro to Jose Ramos-Horta;  and from s[ome] many friends
all over the world grappling to come to terms  with the violence of
September and its aftermath."

  The book is a non-commercial venture. We have tried to keep the cost
low. The contributory price will be INR 100 but for orders above 50,
we  will give it for INR 60 per copy.

  Jagori and Lokayan are publishing it, but do not have money for
this. So  we are depending on bulk orders from organisations like
yours, who will  make them available to their networks with the
suggestion that peace  work be enhanced. Articles in the book (by
Vandana Shiva, Indira Jaising  and statements by women’s
organisations) also speak about violence  against nature, industrial
violence and of course violence against  women.

  Knowing of your perspective and concern for peace and justice, we
are  hoping that you will be able to take 100, 200 or more copies for
distribution to your network. We will send the books wherever you
want  them sent (cost for sending will be additional).  I would be
grateful if you could please let me know today or tomorrow  how many
copies you will be able to take and distribute.

  As our print run depends on your order, please write soon.

  The book will be released on October 11, a month after September 11.

  In solidarity and peace

  Kamla (Bhasin), Smitu (Kothari) and Bindia (Thapar)

Voices of Sanity
Reaching Out for Peace

Edited by
Kamla Bhasin
Smitu Kothari
Bindia Thapar

Contents

Voices of Sanity
The Algebra of  Infinite Justice
The Theatre of Good and Evil – Eduardo Galeano
Ghosts and Echoes Robin Morgan
Inevitable Ring to the Unimaginable-John Pigler
Black Tuesday: The View from Islamabad-Pervez Hoodbhoy
Endless war?-Walden Bello
The US, The West and the Rest of the World-Johan Galtung and Dietrich
Fisher
Between Reality and Self-righteousness-Susan Sontag
Conversations with Noam Chomsky
Dear Civilised People-Sahir Ludhyanwi
Reflections on September 11, 2001- Arjun Makhijani
Then, I Have Nothing to say to You-Sarveshwar Dayal Saxena
America’s unlimited war-Rahul Mahajan and Robert Jensen
Put Out No Flags-Katha Pollit
To My Seven Year Old-Kavita Ramdas
All of a Sudden our Names have Become our Liability-A.H.Jaffor Ulah
Unilateral US Military Action Against Terrorism Bodes Ill for the
World:Counter Terror Wont Work-Praful Bidwai
Cloud Over New York-Indira Jaising
US Aggression Would Be Counter-Productive-Maulana Wahiduddin Kha
A View From the Ground-Rina Saeed Khan
An Interview With Robert Fisk-Edward Said
Solidarity Against All Forms of Terrorism-Vandana Shiva
Peace Movements prospects-Michael Albert
What Hope For the Future-Mary Kaldor and David Held
Speech by Fidel Castro
The Deeper Wound-Deepak Chopra
A Call to the Churches and the Nation-Rev.Tom E.Driver
In Memoriam
Speech to Oxfam-Community Aid Abroad National Conference-Jose
Ramos-Horta
Collective Voices