[Reader-list] Mohsen Makhmalbaf : World's indifference to the Afghans (June 2001)

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Fri Oct 12 00:53:07 IST 2001

Heres the full text of a long paper by  on Afghanistan by the widely
acclaimed  Iranian Film maker Mohsen Makhmalbaf. It might interest
people on this list
best
Harsh

o o o o

The Iranian
June 20, 2001

LIMBS OF NO BODY  WORLD'S INDIFFERENCE TO THE  AFGHAN TRAGEDY

  By Mohsen Makhmalbaf

  If you read my article in full, It  will take about an hour of your
time. In this hour, 14 more people will have died in Afghanistan of
war  and hunger and 60 others will have become refugees in other
countries. This article is intended to describe the reasons for this
mortality and emigration. If this bitter subject is irrelevant to
your  sweet life, please don't read it.

  Afghanistan in the eyes of the world

  Last year I attended the Pusan Film Festival in South Korea where I
was asked about the subject of my next film. I would respond,
Afghanistan. Immediately I would be asked, "What is Afghanistan?"
Why is it so? Why should a country be so obsolete that the people of
another Asian country such as South Korea have not even heard of it?

  The reason is clear. Afghanistan does not have a role in today's
world.  It is neither a country remembered for a certain commodity
nor for its  scientific advancement or as a nation that has achieved
artistic honors.  In the United States, Europe and the Middle East,
however, the  situation is different and Afghanistan is recognized as
a peculiar  country.

  This strangeness, however, does not have a positive connotation.
Those who recognize the name Afghanistan immediately associate it
with smuggling, the Taliban, Islamic fundamentalism, war with Russia,
a long-time civil war, famine and high mortality. In this subjective
portrait there is no trace of peace and stability or development.
Thus,  no desire is created for tourists to travel to or businessmen
to invest in  Afghanistan.

  So why should it not be left to oblivion? The defamation is such
that  one might soon write in dictionaries that Afghanistan can be
described  as a drug producing country with rough, aggressive and
fundamentalist  people who hide their women under veils with no
openings.

  Add to all of that the destruction of the largest known statue of
Buddha  that recently spurred the sympathy of the entire world and
led all  supporters of art and culture to defend the doomed statue.
But why  didn't anybody except UN High Commissioner Ogata express
grief  over the pending death of one million Afghans as a result of
severe  famine? Why doesn't anybody speak of the reasons for this
mortality?  Why is everyone crying aloud over the demolition of the
Buddha statue  while nothing is heard about preventing the death of
hungry Afghans?  Are statues more cherished than humans in the
modern-day world?

  I have traveled within Afghanistan and witnessed the reality of life
in  that nation. As a filmmaker I produced two feature films on
Afghanistan  with a 13-year interval ("The Cyclist", 1988 and
"Kandahar", 2001). In  doing that I have studied about 10,000 pages
of various books and  documents to collect data for the films.
Consequently I know of a  different image of Afghanistan than that of
the rest of the world. It is a  more complicated, different and
tragic picture, yet sharper and more  positive. It is an image that
needs attention rather than forgetfulness  and suppression.

  But where is Sa'di to see this tragedy-the Sa'di whose poem "All
people are limbs of one body" is above the portal to the United
Nations?

  Afghanistan in the minds of the Iranian people

  The Iranian people's impression of Afghanistan is based on the same
image as that of the American, European and Middle Eastern people.
The only difference is that the focus is at a closer range. Iranian
workers, people of southern Tehran and working class residents of
Iranian towns do not look kindly on Afghans and view them as
competitors for employment. By pressuring the Ministry of Labor, they
demanded the Afghans be returned to their homeland. See photo  essay

  The Iranian middle class however, finds Afghans quite trustworthy at
care-taking and janitorial jobs. Building contractors believe Afghans
are  better workers than their Iranian counterparts and command lower
wages. Anti-drug authorities recognize them as key elements in drug
trafficking and suggest that crushing the smugglers and deporting all
Afghans would put and end to drug problems once and for all. Doctors
view them as the cause for some epidemic diseases such as the
"Afghan flu" that was nonexistent in Iran. They offer immunization
from  within Afghanistan and in so doing, have born the costs of
polio  vaccination for the people of Afghanistan as well.

  The world's view of Afghanistan

  News headlines matching a country's name must always be checked.
The image of a country depicted to the world through the media is a
combination of facts about that country and an imaginary notion that
the people of the world are supposed to have of that place. If some
countries of the world are supposed to be covetous of a place, it is
necessary that grounds be provided through the news.

  What I've perceived is that unfortunately in today's Afghanistan
except  for poppy seeds, there is almost nothing to spark desire.
Thus  Afghanistan has little or no share in world news, and the
resolution of  its problems in the near future is far-fetched. If
like Kuwait, Afghanistan  had oil and surplus oil income, it could
also have been taken back in  three days by the Americans and the
cost of the American army could  have been covered by that surplus
income.

  When the Soviet Union existed, Afghans received Western media
attention for fighting against the Eastern Bloc and being witnesses
to  communist oppression. With the Soviet retreat and later
disintegration,  why is the United States, who supports human rights,
not taking any  serious actions for 10 million women deprived of
education and social  activities or for the eradication of poverty
and famine that is taking the  lives of so many people?

  The answer is because Afghanistan offers nothing to long for.
Afghanistan is not a beautiful girl who raises the heartbeat of her
thousand lovers. Unfortunately, today she resembles an old woman.
Whoever desires to get close to her will only be saddled with the
expenses of a moribund and we know that our time is not the time of
Sa'di when "All people are limbs of one body".

  The tragedy of Afghanistan in statistics

  There has been no rigorous collection of statistics in Afghanistan
in the  past two decades. Hence, all data and numbers are relative
and  approximate. According to these figures, Afghanistan had a
population  of 20 million in 1992. During the past 20 years and since
the Russian  occupation, about 2.5 million Afghans have died as a
direct or indirect  result of the war-army assaults, famine or lack
of medical attention.

  In other words, every year 125,000 or about 340 people a day or 14
people every hour or one in about every five minutes have been either
killed or died because of this tragedy. This is a world wherein the
crew  of that unfortunate Russian submarine was facing death some
months  ago and satellite news was reporting every minute of the
incident. It is  a world that reported non-stop the demolition of the
Buddha statue.

  Yet nobody speaks of the tragic death of Afghans every five minutes
for the past 20 years. The number of Afghan refugees is even more
tragic. According to more precise statistics the number of Afghan
refugees outside of Afghanistan living in Iran and Pakistan is 6.3
million. If this figure is divided by the year, day, hour and minute,
in the  past 20 years, one person has become a refugee every minute.
The  number does not include those who run from north to south and
vice  versa to survive the civil war.

  I personally do not recollect any nation whose population was
reduced  by 10 percent via mortality and 30 percent through migration
and yet  faced so much indifference from the world. The total number
of people  killed and refugees in Afghanistan equals the entire
Palestinian  population but even us Iranians' share of sympathy for
Afghanistan  does not reach 10 percent of that for Palestine or
Bosnia, despite the  fact that we have a common language and border.

  When crossing the border at the Dogharoon customs to enter
Afghanistan, I saw a sign that warned visitors of strange looking
items.  These were mines. It read: "Every 24 hours seven people step
on  mines in Afghanistan. Be careful not to be one of them today and
tomorrow."

  I came across more hard figures in one of the Red Cross camps. The
Canadian group that had come to defuse mines found the tragedy
simply too vast, lost hope and returned. Based on these same figures,
over the next 50 years the people of Afghanistan must step on mines
in groups to make their land safe and livable. The reason is because
every group or sect has strewn mines against the other without a map
or plan for later collection. The mines are not set in military
fashion as  in war and collected in peace. This means that a nation
has placed  mines against itself. And when it rains hard, surface
waters reposition  these devices turning once safe remote roads into
dangerous paths.

  These statistics reveal the extent of the unsafe living environment
in  Afghanistan that leads to continuous emigration. Afghans perceive
their situation as dangerous. There's constant fear of hunger and
death.

  Why shouldn't Afghans emigrate? A nation with an emigration rate of
30 percent certainly feels hopeless about its future. Of the 70
percent  remaining, 10 percent have been killed or died and the rest
or 60  percent were not able to cross the borders or if they did,
they were  sent back by the neighboring countries.

  This perilous situation has also been an impediment to any foreign
presence in Afghanistan. A businessman would never risk investing
there unless he is a drug dealer and political experts prefer to fly
directly to Western countries. This makes it difficult to resolve the
crisis  that Afghanistan is faced with. At present, due to UN
sanctions and  safety concerns, with the exception of only three
countries (officially)  and two others (unofficially), there are no
political experts in  Afghanistan. There are only political
suppositions offered from a  distance.

  This adds to the ambiguity of crisis in a country burdened with such
an  enormous scope of tragedy and ignorance on the part of the world.
I  witnessed about 20,000 men, women and children around the city of
Herat starving to death. They couldn't walk and were scattered on the
ground awaiting the inevitable. This was the result of the recent
famine. That same day the then United Nations High Commissioner for
Refugees, Japan's Sadako Ogato, also visited these same people and
promised that the world would help them. Three months later, I heard
on Iranian radio that Madame Ogata gave the number of Afghans  dying
of hunger to be a million nationwide.

  I reached the conclusion that the statue of Buddha was not
demolished  by anybody; it crumbled out of shame. Out of shame for
the world's  ignorance towards Afghanistan. It broke down knowing its
greatness  didn't do any good.

  In Dushanbeh in Tajikestan I saw a scene where 100,000 Afghans  were
running from south to north, on foot. It looked like doomsday.  These
scenes are never shown in the media anywhere in the world.  The
war-stricken and hungry children had run for miles and miles
barefoot. Later on the same fleeing crowd was attacked by internal
enemies and was also refused asylum in Tajikestan. In the thousands,
they died and died in a no-man's land between Afghanistan and
Tajikestan and neither you found out nor anybody else.

  As Mrs. Golrokhsar, the renowned Tajik poet put it: "It is not
strange if  someone in the world dies for so much sorrow that
Afghanistan has.  What's strange is that why nobody dies of this
grief."

  Afghanistan, a country with no images

  Afghanistan is a country with no images, for various reasons. Afghan
women are faceless which means 10 million out of the 20 million
population don't get a chance to be seen. A nation, half of which is
not  even seen by its own women, is a nation without an image.

  During the last few years there has been no television broadcasting.
There are only a few two-page newspapers by the names of Shariat,
Heevad and Anise that have only text and no pictures. This is the
sum total of the media in Afghanistan. Painting and photography have
also been prohibited in the name of religion. In addition, no
journalists  are allowed to enter Afghanistan, let alone take
pictures.

  In the dawn of the 21st century there are no film productions or
movie  theatres in Afghanistan. Previously there were 14 cinemas that
showed  Indian movies and film studios had small productions
imitating Indian  movies but that too has vanished.

  In the world of cinema where thousands of films are made every year,
nothing is forthcoming from Afghanistan. Hollywood, however,
produced "Rambo" about war in Afghanistan. The whole movie was
filmed in Hollywood and not one Afghan was included. The only
authentic scene was Rambo's presence in Peshawar, Pakistan, thanks
to the art of back projection! It was merely employed for action
sequences and creating excitement. Is this Hollywood's image of a
country where 10 percent of the people have been decimated and 30
percent have become refugees and where currently one million are
dying of hunger?

  The Russians produced two films concerning the memoirs of Russian
soldiers during the occupation of Afghanistan. The Mujahedin made a
few films after the Russian retreat, which are essentially propaganda
movies and not a real image of the situation of the past or
present-day  Afghanistan. They are basically a heroic picture of a
few Afghans  fighting in the deserts.

  Two feature films have been produced in Iran on the situation of
Afghan immigrants, "Friday" and "Rain". I made two films "The
Cyclist"  and "Kandahar". This is the entire catalogue of images
about Afghans  in the Iranian and world media. Even in TV productions
worldwide  there are a limited number of documentaries. Perhaps, it
is an external  and internal conspiracy or universal ignorance that
maintains  Afghanistan as a country without an image.

  The historical image of an imageless country

  Afghanistan emerged when it separated from Iran. It used to be an
Iranian province some 250 years ago and part of Greater Khorasan
province in the era of Nadir Shah. Returning from India, one
midnight,  Nadir Shah was murdered in Ghoochan. Ahmad Abdali, an
Afghan  commander in Nadir Shah's army fled with a regiment of 4,000
soldiers. He declared independence from Iran and thus Afghanistan
was created.

  In those days it was comprised of farmers and overwhelmingly ruled
by  tribes. Since Ahmad Abdali belonged to the Pashtoon tribe,
naturally,  he could not have been accepted as the absolute authority
by other  tribes such as the Tajik, Hazareh and Uzbek. Thus, it was
agreed that  each tribe would be governed by its own leaders. The
rulers  collectively formed a tribal federalism known as the "Loya
Jirga".

  Since then until the present, a more just and appropriate form of
governing has not emerged in Afghanistan. The Loya Jirga system
reveals that not only has Afghanistan never evolved economically from
an agricultural existence, it has never moved beyond tribal rule and
failed to achieve a sense of nationalism.

  An Afghan does not regard himself an Afghan until he leaves his
homeland. He is regarded with pity or suffers humiliation. In
Afghanistan each Afghan is a Pashtoon, Hazareh, Uzbek or Tajik. In
Iran, perhaps except in the province Kurdistan, we are all Iranians
first.  Nationalism is the first aspect of our perception of a common
identity.  But in Afghanistan all are primarily members of a tribe.
Tribalism is the  first aspect of their identity.

  This is the most obvious difference between the spirit of an Iranian
with  that of an Afghan. Even in presidential elections in Iran, the
candidate's  ethnicity has no national significance and draws no
special vote. In  Afghanistan since the era of Ahmad Abdali until
today as the Taliban  rule over 95 percent of the country, the main
leaders have always  been from the Pashtoon tribe. (Except for the
nine months of  Habiballah Galehkani's rule known as Bacheh Sagha and
the two  years of the Tajik Burhannuddin Rabbani respectively, Tajiks
have not  otherwise held power.) The people of Afghanistan, however,
since the  time of Ahmad Abdali, have always been content with tribal
federalism.

  What does this indicate in comparison to the situation in Iran?
Under  Reza Shah, tribalism was weakened and replaced by nationalism.
In  Afghanistan that did not happen. Even the Mujahedin of
Afghanistan  never fought foreign enemies in a unified manner, rather
each tribe  warred with foreign enemies in their own regions.
                 During the making of Kanadahar while I was in the
refugee camps at  the border of Iran and Afghanistan, I realized that
even those Afghan  refugees who have lived in difficult camp
conditions, did not accept  their Afghan national identity. They
still had conflicts over being Tajik,  Hazareh or Pashtoon.
Inter-tribal marriages still do not take place  among Afghans neither
is there any business conducted between  them. And with the most
minor conflict, the danger of mass bloodshed  prevails. I once
witnessed one tribal member killed by someone from  another in
revenge for curring in a bread line.

  In the Niatak refugee camp (border of Iran-Afghanistan) that
accommodates 5,000 residents, it is not easy for Pashtoon and
Hazareh children to play with each other. This sometimes leads to
mutual aggression. Tajiks and Hazarehs find Pashtoons their greatest
enemy on earth and vice versa. None of them are even willing to
attend each other's mosques for prayers. We had difficulty seating
their children next to each other to watch a movie. They offered a
compromise wherein Hazareh and Pashtoon children took turns  watching.

  Many diseases were prevalent in this camp and there were no doctors.
When a doctor was brought in from the city, the camp residents didn't
give priority to treating those who were most ill. Only a tribal
order was  accepted. They appointed a day for Hazareh patients and
another for  Pashtoons. In addition, class distinctions among the
Pashtoons  prevented them from coming to the clinic on the same day.

  In shooting scenes that needed extras, we had to decide to choose
from among either Hazarehs or Pashtoons, though all of them were
refugees and both suffered the same misery. Yet, tribal disposition
came first in any decisions. Of course, the majority were unfamiliar
with  cinema. Like my grandmother, they thanked God for not having
stepped foot inside a movie theatre.

  The reason for Afghanistan's perpetual tribalism rests with its
agrarian  economics. Each Afghan tribe is trapped in a valley with
geographical  walls and is a natural prisoner of a culture stemming
from a  mountainous environment and farming economy. Cultural
tribalism is  the product of farming conditions rooted in the deep
valleys of  Afghanistan. Belief in tribalism is as deep as those
valleys.

  The topography of Afghanistan is 75 percent mountainous of which
only 7 percent is suitable for farming. It lacks any semblance of
industry. The country is solely dependent on farming, as grasslands
(in  non-drought years) are the only resources for economic
continuity.  Again, farming is the foundation of this tribalism that
in turn is the basis  for deep internal conflicts. This not only
stops Afghanistan from  becoming a modern country it also prevents
this would-be nation from  achieving a national identity.

  There is no intrinsic popular belief in what is called Afghanistan
and  Afghans. Afghans are not yet ready to be absorbed into a bigger
collective identity called the people of Afghanistan. Contrary to the
misnomer of religious war, the origin of disputes lies with tribal
conflicts. The Tajiks who fight the Taliban today are both Muslim and
Sunni-as are the Taliban. The intelligence of Ahmad Abdali is yet to
be appreciated for having creating the notion of tribal federalism.
He  was smarter than those who fancy the ruling of one tribe over all
others  or one individual over a nation-when tribalism and the
economic  infrastructure was still intact.

  Pashtoons with a population of about six million make up
Afghanistan's  largest tribe. Next are Tajiks with about four million
people and third  and fourth are Hazarehs and Uzbeks with populations
of about four  million and one to two million respectively. The rest
are small tribes  such as the Imagh, Fars, Balouch, Turkman and
Qezelbash.

  The Pashtoons are mostly in the south, the Tajiks in the north and
the  Hazarehs in the central regions. This geographical concentration
in  different regions will lead either to complete and final
disintegration or  the continued connection from the head of the
tribe through the Loya  Jirga system. The only alternative to these
two scenarios necessitates  changes in the economic infrastructure
and the replacement of a tribal  idenity with a national one.

  If we can elect a president in Iran today, free from issues of
ethnicity, it  is because of the economic transformation resulting
from oil, at least in  the last century. The question is not the
quality or quantity of oil in the  Iranian economy. The point is that
when oil enters the economy of a  country such as Iran that was
basically agricultural, it changes the  economic infrastructure and
the role of Iran becomes significant in  political interactions. It
becomes an exporter of a valued raw material  and in return receives
the surplus productions of industrial countries.

  This transformation changes the socio-economic infrastructure that
in  turn breaks the traditional culture and creates a more modern
one,  exporting oil and consuming the products of industrialized
countries. If  we omit money as the symbolic medium, then we have
given oil in  exchange for consumer products. But Afghanistan has
nothing but  drugs to exchange in the world market. Therefore, it has
turned back  on itself and become isolated. Perhaps, if Afghanistan
had not  separated from Iran 250 years ago, it would have had a
different fate  based on its share of oil revenues.

  The amount of opium that I will elaborate on later is far too
insignificant  to be compared to Iranian oil. In 2000 Iran's surplus
income from the  oil price windfall went over $10 billion. Total
sales of opium in  Afghanistan remained at $500 million.

  We have played our role in the world economy and by consuming the
products of others, have understood that we have choices and have
thus become somewhat more modern. But for the Afghan farmer his
world is his valleys and his profession is farming when drought
spares  him. Meanwhile a tribal system resolves his social problems.
Given  that, he cannot have a share in the world economy. How are
grounds  for his economic and cultural transition to be provided to
let him have a  share? In addition, $80 billion in the global drug
turnover depends on  Afghanistan remaining in its present situation
without change because  if change prevails, that $80 billion is the
first thing to be threatened.  Hence, Afghanistan is not supposed to
realize a considerable profit  since that itself may yield change for
Afghanistan.

  Although Iran and Afghanistan shared the same history some 250
years ago due to oil, the history of Iran took a turn that is
impossible for  Afghanistan to take for a very long time. Opium is
the only product that  Afghanistan offers to the world. Yet both
because of the nature of this  product and the insignificant amount
of this tainted national wealth, it  cannot be compared to oil. If we
add the $500 million income from the  sale of opium to the $300
million from the sale of northern  Afghanistan's gas, and divide the
total by the 20 million population, the  result is $40 per capita
annual income. If we further divide that figure  by 365 days each
Afghan would earn about 10 cents a day or the  equivalent of the
price a loaf of bread on normal days.

  But, the country's annual earnings belong to the government and the
domestic mafia and it doesn't get divided fairly. This revenue,
therefore, is both insufficient to meet the needs of people and too
low  to bring about significant change in the economic, social,
political and  cultural infrastructure.

  Why have 30 percent of the population emigrated?

  Livestock breeders habitually move to resolve their living problems.
Urban residents and agricultural farmers are less likely to move
often.  The main reason for the Afghan livestock breeders' mobility
is related  to the farming seasons. They constantly move to green and
warm  areas to avoid dry lands and cold weather. Movement is a
natural  reflex for livestock farmers. The second reason is lack of a
fixed  occupation. Afghans migrate to avoid death from unemployment.

  The Afghans' daily earnings depend on working in other countries.
Upon waking up each day, an Afghan has four burdens to consider.
First is his livestock and this depends on drought not being an
obstacle. Fighting for a group or sect is his second concern and
generally because of employment he enters the army. Earning a living
to support his family is another reason why he moves and if all else
fails, he enters the drug business.

  The extent of this last option is limited and the labor options of a
nation  of 20 million people cannot really be measured with a $500
million  account accrued from cultivating poppy seeds. Thus,
characterizing  the people of Afghanistan as opium smugglers is
unreal and applies  only to a very limited number.

  Afghan culture immunized against modernism

  Amanullah Khan who ruled in Afghanistan from 1919-1928, was a
contemporary of Reza Shah and Kemal Ataturk. On a personal level he
was inclined towards modernism. In 1924, Amanullah traveled to
Europe, returned with a Rolls Royce and made known his reform
program. The plan included a change in attire. He told his wife to
unveil  herself and asked men to forego their Afghan costumes for
Western  suits. Contrary to Afghan male custom, he prohibited
polygamy.  Traditionalists immediately begin opposing Amanullah's
modernising.  None of the agrarian tribes submitted to these changes
and rioting  ensued against him.

  Here, clearly modernism without a socio-economic basis, is but a
non-homogeneous imposition of culture on a tribal society
economically dependent on farming; lacking any industry, agriculture
or even preliminary means of exploiting its resources, not to mention
prohibition of inter-tribal marriages. This superficial, formalistic
and  petty modernism served only as an antibody to stimulate
traditional  Afghan culture, making Afghanistan so immune to it that
even in the  following decades, modernism could not penetrate the
culture in a  more rational form.

  Even today, the premis for modernism that includes exploiting
resources and presenting cheap raw materials in exchange for goods,
have not been created. The most advanced people in Afghanistan still
believe that Afghan society is not yet ready for female suffrage.
When  the most progressive sect involved in the civil war, finds it
too early for  women to vote, it is obvious that the most
conservative will prohibit  schooling and social activities to them.
It follows naturally that 10  million women are held captive under
their burqas (veil).

  This is Afghan society 70 years after Amanullah's modernism that
aimed to impose monogamy on a male dominated Afghanistan, whose  only
perception of family is the harem. In 2001, polygamy is still an
accepted fact by women even in refugee camps on the border of
Iran/Afghanistan. I attended two weddings among the Pashtoon and
Hazareh tribes and heard them wishing for more prosperous weddings
for the groom. At first I thought it was a joke. In another case the
bride's family said: "If the groom can afford it, up to four wives is
indeed very good and it is a religious tradition as well as helping a
bunch of hungry people."

  When I went to the camp in Saveh to record the wedding music for
"Kandahar", I saw a two-year-old girl being wedded to a
seven-year-old boy. I never understood the meaning of this. Neither
could that boy or that little girl, who was sucking on a pacifier,
have  made the choice. Given this portrait of traditional society,
Amanullah's  modernism seemed an overwhelming imitation of another
country.

  Of course, some people believe if a woman changes her burgha into a
less concealing veil, she may be struck by God's wrath and turned
into  a black stone. Perhaps, someone has to forcibly rid her of the
burgha  so she'll realize that the assumption is untrue and she can
choose for  herself.

  There is another biased viewpoint to Amanullah's modernism. In
traditional societies, the culture of hypocricy is a form of class
camouflage. In Iranian society wealthy traditional families decorate
the  interior of their home like a castle but keep the exterior
looking like a  shack, out of fear from the poor. In other words,
that aristocratic  nucleus needs to have a poor rustic shell.

  Opposition to modernism is not necessarily expressed by traditional
organizations. Sometimes it is a reaction by the poor against the
rich.  For the poor society in Amanullah's time, while having horses
as  opposed to mules was a symbol of honor and nobility, a Rolls
Royce  was an insult to the poor. The war between tradition and
modernism is  primarily the same as the battle of the Rolls Royce and
the mule. It is a  war between poverty and wealth.

  Today, in Afghanistan the only modern objects are weapons. The
ubiquitous civil war that has created jobs in addition to being a
political/military action has also become a market for modern
weapons.  Afghanistan can no longer fight with knives and daggers
even though it  lags behind the contemporary age. The consumption of
weapons is a  serious matter. Stinger missiles next to long beards
and burghas are  still symbols of profound modernism that are
proportionate to  consumption and modern culture.

  For the Afghan Mujahed, weapons have an economic basis that  creates
jobs. If all weapons are removed from Afghanistan, the war  ends and
all accept that there will be no more assaults on anyone,  given the
sub zero economic conditions all of today's mujahedin will  join the
refugees in other countries. The issue of tradition and  modernism,
war and peace, tribalism and nationalism in Afghanistan  must be
analyzed with an eye to the economic situation and  employment
crisis. It has to be understood that there is no immediate  solution
for the economic crisis in Afghanistan.

  A long-term resolution is contingent on an economic miracle and not
on a nationwide military attack from north to south or vice versa.
Have  these miracles not happened time and again? Was the Soviet
retreat  not a miracle? Was the sovereignty of the Mujahedin not a
miracle on  their part? Was the sudden conquest of the Taliban not a
miracle of its  kind? Then why do problems remain? Modernism under
discussion  here faces two fundamental problems. One is rooted in
economics and  the second is immunization of Afghan traditional
culture against  premature modernism.

  Geographical situation and its consequences

  Afghanistan has an area of 700,000 square kilometers. Mountains
account for 75 percent of the land. People live in cavernous valleys
surrounded by towering mountains. These elevations not only attest to
a rough nature, difficult passage and impediments to business, but
are  also viewed as cultural and spiritual fortresses among Afghan
tribes. It  is obvious why Afghanistan lacks inter-state routes. The
shortage of  roads not only creates obstacles for the fighters who
seek to occupy  Afghanistan, it stops businessmen whose prosperity
may become a  means of economic growth.

  To the same degree that these mountains obstruct foreign intrusion,
they block interference of other cultures and commercial activities.
A  country that is 75 percent mountains has problems creating
consumer  markets in its potential industrial cities and in exporting
agriculture  products to the cities. Despite the use of modern
weapons, wars take  longer and find no conclusion.

  In the past Afghanistan was a passageway for caravans on the Silk
Road traversing China through Balkh and India through Kandahar. The
discovery of waterways and then airways in the last century, changed
Afghanistan from being an ancient commercial route into a dead-end.
The old Silk Road was a passage of camels and horses and didn't  have
the characteristics of a modern road. Through the same winding  roads
Nadir Shah, Alexander, Timur and Mahmmod Ghaznavi went to  India.
Given the mountainous character of these roads, there used to  be
primitive wooden bridges that have been badly damaged in the past  20
years of war.

  Perhaps today, after two decades of foreign and civil war the people
want the strongest party to win and give a single direction to
Afghanistan's historical fate, no matter what. These same mountains,
however, are a hindrance. Perhaps, the true fighters of Afghanistan
are not its hungry people but the high mountains that don't
surrender.  The Tajik resistance led by Ahmad Shah Massoud owes its
survival to  the Panjshir valley. Conceivably, if Afghanistan was not
mountainous,  the Soviets could have easily conquered it; or it could
have been prey  for the Americans to hunt down like the plains of
Kuwait, and bring it  closer to the Central Asian markets.

  Being mountainous increases both the cost of war and reconstruction
after peace. If Afghanistan was not so rugged it would have had a
different economical, military, political and cultural fate. Is this
a  geographical misfortune? Imagine a fighter who has to constantly
climb  up and down mountains. Suppose he conquered all of
Afghanistan. He  then has to constantly conquer the peaks to provide
for his army.  These mountains have been sufficient to save
Afghanistan from  foreign enemies and domestic friends.

  When you look at the Soviet-Afghan war, you see a nation's
resistance  but when on the inside, you realize that each tribe has
defended the  valley it was trapped in. When the enemy left, again,
everyone saw  their valley as the center of the world. And again, the
same mountains  have made agriculture very difficult. Only 15 percent
of the land is  suited for agriculture and practically just half of
this is actually  cultivated. The reason for livestock farming is
that the grasslands are  on the mountainsides or its environs.

  It can be said that Afghanistan is a victim of her own topography.
There are no routes in the mountains and road construction is
expensive. The roads if any, are either military or narrow paths for
smugglers. The only trunk road passes around the borders. How can a
border road function like a primary artery in the body of Afghanistan
to  resolve problems of social, cultural and economic communications?
The few interstate roads that existed were destroyed in the war. To
whose advantage is it to pay for the costs of drilling these tough
and  elevated mountains? For which potential profit should this
exorbitant  cost be borne?

  It is said that Afghanistan is full of unexplored mines. From what
route  are these possibly exploitable resources supposed to reach
their  destinations? Who will be the first to invest in mines that
will generate  profits in an uncertain future? Has the lack of roads
been a sufficient  disincentive for the Soviets and Afghans not to
think of excavating the  mines?

  On the other hand, Afghanistan is a land of eternal hidden paths
that  are quite efficient for smuggling drugs. There are as many
winding  roads as you want for smuggling but for crushing the
smugglers, you  need straight ones that don't exist. You can't know
the infinite number  of paths and you can't attack a path every day.
At the most, you can  await a caravan at a junction. A smuggler was
arrested around the city  of Semnan in Iran who had walked barefoot
from Kandahar carrying a  sack of drugs. He had no skin on his soles
when arrested, but kept on  walking.

  In the mountains of Afghanistan water is more of a calamity than a
blessing. In winter it is freezing. It floods in spring and in the
summer  its shortage yields drought. This is the property of
mountains without  dams. Uncontrolled waters and hard soil reduce
agricultural possibility.  This is the geographical picture of
Afghanistan: Arduous to cross,  incapable of cultivation and mines
impossible to exploit due to  transport costs.

  The fact that some find Afghanistan as a museum of tribes, races and
languages is because of its geography and sheer difficulty. Every
tradition in this country has remained intact because of isolation
and  lack of interference. It is only natural for this rough and dry
country  (with only 7 percent of its land being used for agriculture
of which half  is threatened by drought) to turn to cultivation of
poppy seeds to  support its people. If the conditions are normal and
the price of bread  does not increase, from all this poppy wealth, a
single loaf of bread is  what every Afghan receives.

  In its present state the economy of Afghanistan can keep its people
half full without any economic development. Wealth though, rests with
the domestic mafia or gets spent on unstable Afghan regimes and the
people don't get a share of it.

  The basic question then comes to mind as to how the Afghan people
are supported? It is either through construction work in Iran,
participation in political wars or becoming theology students in the
Taliban schools. According to statistics over 2,500 schools of the
Taliban with a capacity between 300 to 1,000 students, attract hungry
orphans. In these schools anybody can have a piece of bread and a
bowl of soup, read the Quran and memorize prayers and later join the
Taliban forces. This is the only remaining option for employment.

  It is the result of this geography that emigration, smuggling and
war  remain as occupations and I'm wondering how Massoud is going to
meet the needs of the people after possible victory over the Taliban?
Will it be through continued war or development of poppy seeds or
prayer for rain?

  On the Iranian border the UN pays 20 dollars to any Afghan
volunteering to return to Afghanistan. They are taken by bus to the
first  cities inside Afghanistan or dropped around the borders.
Interestingly,  due to lack of jobs in Afghanistan, the Afghans
quickly come back and  if not recognized, go in line again to get
another 20 dollars. The jobless  Afghans turn every solution into an
occupation. And as much as war  may be a profession, few Afghan
leaders have died pursuing it.

  Continued war provides opportunity for the U.S., the Soviets and the
six neighboring countries to give aid to forces loyal to them. This
largness is normally aimed at continuing a war or balancing power but
in the case of Afghanistan it merely creates jobs. Let's not forget
that  there's been a two-year drought and livestock have died as a
result.  The mortality as announced by the UN is predicted at one
million within  the next few months. The war has nothing to do with
this. It is poverty  and famine. Whenever farming has been threatened
by shortage of  water, emigration has increased and wars have
worsened.

The average life expectancy of an Afghan has been calculated at 41.5
years and the mortality rate for children under two years of age was
between 182 to 200 deaths per 1,000 kids. The average longevity was
34 years in 1960 and in 2000 was pegged at 41. The reality however is
that in recent years it has gone down to even lower than what it was
in  1960.

  I never forget those nights of filming Kanadahar. While our team
searched the deserts with flashlights, we would see dying refuges
like  herds of sheep left in the desert. When we took those that we
thought  were dying of cholera to hospitals in Zabol, we realized
that they were  dying of hunger. Since those days and nights of
seeing so many  people starving to death, I haven't been able to
forgive myself for  eating any meals.

  The Afghans between 1986 to 1989 had about 22 million sheep. That
is one sheep per person. This has traditionally been the main wealth
of  a farming nation such as Afghanistan. This wealth was lost in the
recent famine. Imagine the situation of a farming nation without
livestock. The original tragedy of Afghanistan today is poverty and
the  only way to resolve the problems is through economic
rehabilitation.

  If I had gone to support the mujahedin instead of the true freedom
fighters who are ordinary people struggling to stay alive, I would
have  come back. If I were president of a neighboring country, I
would  encourage economic relations with Afghanistan in lieu of
political-military interventions. God forbid if I was in the place of
God, I  would bless Afghanistan with something else that would
benefit this  forgotten nation. And I write this without believing it
will have any  impact in this era very different than that of Sa'di's
time when, "all men  are limbs of one body".

  Dr. Kamal Hossein, the UN Humanitarian Adviser for Afghanistan
affairs from Bangladesh, visited our office in the summer of 2000 and
told us that he had been reporting quite futilely to the UN for 10
years.  He had come to assist me in making a movie that perhaps would
awaken the world. I said: "I'm looking for that which will affect."

  It must be added that Afghanistan has not so much suffered from
foreign interference as it has from indifference. Again if
Afghanistan  were Kuwait with a surplus of oil income, the story
would have been  different. But Afghanistan has no oil and the
neighboring countries  deport its underpaid laborers. It's only
natural when options of  occupation fail-as explained earlier in the
text-the only remaining  choices are smuggling, joining the Taliban
or falling down in a corner in  Herat, Bamian, Kabul or Kanadahar and
dying for the world's  ignorance.

  Once, I happened to be in a camp around Zabol that was filled with
illegal immigrants. I wasn't sure if it was a camp or a prison. The
Afghans who had fled home because of famine or Taliban assaults  were
refused asylum and waiting to be returned to Afghanistan. It all
seemed legal and rational to that point. People, who for any reason
enter a country illegally and are afterward refused, get deported.
But  these particular people were dying of hunger. We had ended up
there  to choose extras for my film. I asked the authorities and
found out that  the camp could not afford to feed so many people and
they hadn't  eaten for a week. They had only water to drink. We
offered to provide  meals. They wished we'd go there every day.

  We brought food for 400 Afghans ranging from one-month old babies
to 80-year old men. Most of them were little kids who had fainted of
hunger in their mothers' arms. For an hour, we were crying and
distributing bread and fruits. The authorities expressed grief and
regret  and said that it took a long time for budget approvals and
kept saying  that the flow of hungry refugees was far greater than
what they could  manage. This is the story of a country that's been
ravaged by its own  nature, history, economy, politics and the
unkindness of its neighbors.

  An Afghan poet who was being deported from Iran back to Afghanistan
expressed his feelings in a poem and left:

  I came on foot, I'll leave on foot.  The stranger who had no piggy
bank, will leave.  And the child who had no dolls, will leave.  The
spell on my exile will be broken tonight.  And the table that had
been empty will be folded.  In suffering, I wandered around the
horizons.  It is me who everyone has seen in wandering.  What I do
not have I'll lay down and leave.  I came on foot, I'll leave on foot.

  The ratio of drug consumption in the world to its production in  Afghanistan

  In modern day economy, every supply is based on a demand. The
production of drugs everywhere meets the need for its consumption.
This universal market includes both poor and advanced countries such
as India, the Netherlands, the U.S., etc. According to UN reporting
in  2000, in the late 90's about 180 million people worldwide were
using  drugs. Based on the same report 90% of illegal opium is
produced in  two countries of which one is Afghanistan as well as 80
% of heroin.  Again, 50 % of all narcotic drugs is produced in
Afghanistan. You may  think if that 50 % equals half a billion
dollars then the total value of  drugs reaches one billion globally
but that's not the case. Why?

  Although Afghanistan earns half a billion from drug production the
actual turnover is only 80 billion dollars. In transit to the rest of
the  world, the mark-up stretches 160 times. Who gets the 80 billion
dollars?

  For example, heroin enters Tajikistan at one price and exits at
twice  that much. The same goes for Uzbekistan. By the time drugs
reach  consumers in the Netherlands, they cost 160 to 200 times the
original  price. The money ends up with the various mafias who also
manipulate  the politics of those countries en route.

  The secret budget of many Central Asian countries is supplied
through  drug traffic, otherwise, how can smugglers who walk all the
way from  Kandahar for example, be the prime beneficiaries of this
wealth? How  can we at all consider them the true smugglers of drugs?

  If it weren't for the extremely high drug profits, Iran for example,
could  have ordered a half a billion-dollars worth of wheat to
Afghanistan as  an incentive to stop planting poppy seeds. Yet the
79.5 billion-dollar  profit is far too valuable for the mob and its
allied forces to dispose of  poppy seeds. Ironically, the Afghan drug
producer is not himself a  consumer. Drug use is prohibited but its
production is legitimate. Its  religious justification is sending
deadly poisons to the enemies of Islam  in Europe and America. This
reasoning is nicely paradoxical given the  economic significance of
drugs on the governmental budget of  Afghanistan.

  The total drug turnover in the world is 400 billion dollars and
Afghans  are the victims of this market. Why is Afghanistan's share
only  1/800th? Whatever the answer, the market needs a place with
little to  contribute civilly but which is a cornucopia of drug
production.. If there  were roads in Afghanistan instead of obscure
paths, or the war ceased  and the economy flourished and other
incentives replaced the half a  billion dollars, then what would
happen to the 400 billion dollar market?

  In September of 2000 when I was returning from Kandahar, I saw the
governor of Khorasan on the way to Tehran. He said that when opium
cost 50 dollars in Herat, it was 250 dollars in Mashad. And when the
fight against smugglers intensified, instead of getting more
expensive,  opium got cheaper. For example, if in Mashad it reached
500 dollars, it  cost 75 dollars in Herat. The reason was due to
extreme poverty and  famine. The Afghan sheep that used to cost 20
dollars a head is now  sold at one dollar at the border but since
they are sick, there is no  market and the borders are controlled for
sheep smuggling into Iran.

  Although poppy seed does not have the fundamental importance of oil
as a source of Afghanistan's wealth it is somehow the equivalent of
oil.  More importantly, the secret budget of Central Asian countries
is  supplied through drugs. That explains the strong incentive for
the world  to remain indifferent towards Afghanistan's chronic
economic condition.  Why should Afghanistan become stable? How could
it possibly  compensate for the 80 billion dollars directly generated
from its soil?

  Drugs are an interesting business for many. Just a few months ago
when I was in Afghanistan, it was said that every day an airplane
full of  drugs flies directly from Afghanistan to the Persian Gulf
states. In 1986,  when I was doing research for the making of The
Cyclist, I took a road  trip from Mirjaveh in Pakistan to Quetta and
Peshawar in Pakistan. It  took me a few days. When I entered
Mirjaveh, I got on a colorful bus of  the same kind that you might
have seen in The Cyclist. The bus was  filled with all kinds of
strange people. People with long thin beards,  turbans on the head
and long dresses.

  At first, I wasn't aware that the bus roof was filled with drugs.
The bus  drove across dirt expanses without roads. Everywhere was
filled with  dust and the wheels would sink into the soft soil. We
arrived at a  surreal gate like the ones in Dali's paintings. It was
a gate that neither  separated nor connected anything from or to
anything. It was just an  imaginary gate erected in the middle of the
desert. The bus stopped at  the gate. There then appeared a group of
bikers who asked our driver  to step down. They talked a little and
then brought a sack of money  and counted it with the driver. Two of
the bikers came and took our  bus. Our driver and his assistant took
the money and left on the bikes.  The new driver announced that he
was now the owner of the bus and  everything in it. We then found out
that together with the bus we had  been sold.

  This transaction was repeated every few hours and we were sold to
several smugglers. We found out that a particular party controlled
each  leg of the route and every time the bus was sold, the price
increased.  First it was one sack of money then it went up to two and
three towards  the end. There were also caravans that carried Dushka
heavy  machineguns on the back of their camels. If you eliminated our
bus  and the arms on camel back, you were in the primitive depths of
history. Again we would arrive in places where they sold arms.
Bullets  were sold in bags as if they were beans. Kilos of bullets
were weighed  on scales and exchanged. Well, how would the world's
drug trade take  place if such premises didn't exist?

  I had gone to Khorasan and along the border was looking for a site
for  filming. By sunset the villages near the border would be
evacuated.  The villagers would flee to other cities for fear of
smugglers. They also  encouraged us to take flight. Rumors of
insecurity were so widespread  that few cars passed after sundown. In
the darkness of the night, the  roads were ready for the passage of
smuggling caravans. The  caravans according to witnesses are
comprised of groups of five to a  100 people. Their ages range from
12 to 30 years. Each carries a sack  of drugs on their backs and some
carry hand-held rocket launchers  and Kalashnikovs to protect the
caravan.

  If drugs are not flown by airplane, they go in containers and if
otherwise, they are carried by human mules. Imagine the enormity of
events these caravans pass through from one country to another until
for example, they reach Amsterdam. Again, imagine what fear and
horror they create among the people in different regions to maintain
that 80 billion-dollar trade.

  I asked an official in Taibad about the number of killings committed
by  the smugglers. The figures say 105 were either killed or
kidnapped in  two years. Over 80 have been returned. I quickly
divided 105 by the  104 weeks of the two years. It equals one person
per week. I reckoned  that if these numbers render a region so unsafe
that people prefer not  to stay in their own villages and flee to
other cities by night, how do we  expect the people of Afghanistan to
stay put? In the past 20 years,  they have had one killing every five
minutes. Should they stay in  Afghanistan and not migrate to our
country? How can we think that if  we deport them, the lack of safety
in Afghanistan will not bring them  back?

  I inquired of the officials stationed on the roads about the causes
for  kidnappings and killings. Apparently, the caravans on the
Iranian side  of the border deal with the villagers. When an Iranian
smuggler does  not pay money on time, he or one of his family members
is kidnapped  and they are returned once the money is exchanged.
Again, I realize  that this aggression also has an economic basis.
Near the Dogharoon  border the customs agents were saying that the
region had been  unsafe for eight years but the papers had been
reporting about it for  only two years. The reason for the relative
wave of openness is related  to the new situation of newspapers in
Iran.

  Emigration and its consequences

  Except for seasonal movement with his livestock, the emigrant Afghan
farmer never traveled abroad until about two decades ago. For this
reason, every trip, even a limited one, has left serious marks on the
fate of Afghans. For example, Amanullah Khan and a group of  students
that had traveled to the West for studying, became the  pioneers of
Afghanistan's unsuccessful experiment with modernism.  The few
officers who went to Russia, later provided the grist for a
communist coup d'etat. The emigration of 30% of Afghanistan's
population in the recent decades however, has not been for academic
pursuits. War and poverty forced them to leave and now, their large
population has exhausted their hosts. The emigration of 2.5 million
Afghans to Iran and 3 million to Pakistan has created grave concerns
for both countries. When I objected to officials in charge of
deporting  Afghans that they were our guests, the reply I heard was
that this  20-year party had gone on too long. If it continued in
Khorasan and  Sistan & Baluchestan provinces, our national identity
would be  threatened in the said regions and we would face even more
intense  crises such as demands for independence of those areas or
even  increased insecurity at the borders.

  Unlike Pakistan that prepared schools to train Islamic mujaheds
(Taliban), Iranian society did not anticipate any schools to train
Afghans. During the making of The Cyclist, I used to go to Afghan
neighborhoods to find actors. At that time, one of the Afghan
officials  told me that they expected the Iranian universities to
accept Afghan  students so that if Russia left Afghanistan, they
would have ministers  with at least bachelor degrees. Otherwise, with
a bunch of fighters you  can wage war but not govern the country.

  Later on, a few Afghans were accepted in Iranian universities but
none  of them are willing to return home today. They state their
reasons as  being insecurity and hunger. One of them mentioned that
the highest  level of living in Afghanistan is lower than the lowest
level in Iran. I  heard in Herat that the monthly salary of Herat's
governor (in 2000)  was $15 per month. That's 50 cents a day or 4,000
Iranian rials.  Because of widespread Afghan emigration, human
smuggling has  become a new occupation for Iranian smugglers. Afghan
families that  reach the borders have to go a long way to arrive in
Tehran and since  their arrest is likely in Zabol, Zahedan, Kerman or
any other city en  route, they leave their fate in the hands of
pickup-driving smugglers.  The smugglers request 1,000,000 rials for
every refugee hauled to  Tehran.

  Since in 99% of the cases, the Afghan family lacks this much money,
a  couple of 13-14 year old girls are taken hostage and the rest of
the  family is secreted into Tehran through back roads. The girls are
kept  until their family finds jobs and pays the debt. In most cases
the money  is never provided. A ten-member family with a 10,000,000
rial debt has  to pay the interest as well after three months.
Consequently, a great  many Afghan girls are either kept as hostages
around the borders or  become the personal belonging of the
smugglers. An official in the  region related secretly related that
the number of girl hostages in just  one of those cities has been
approximated at 24,000.

  A friend of mine who was building a house in Tehran told me about
his  Afghan workers. He had noticed that two Iranian men showed up
once  in while and got most of their money. When asked, the Afghans
said  that they were brought for free on the condition that they pay
the  smugglers later. They also saved a part of their money to take
back to  their families in Afghanistan in case they were deported.
The situation  is a bit different for refugees in Pakistan.

  Those who come to Iran are Hazarehs. These people are Farsi
speaking Shiites. The common language and religion inclines them
towards Iran. Their misfortune is their distinctive appearance. Their
Mongol features subject them to quick recognition among Iranians.
The Pashtoon who goes to Pakistan, however, blends in with
Pakistanis because of common language, religion and ethnicity.
Although the Shiite Hazarehs find Pakistan more liberal than Iran,
job  opportunities in Iran are more appealing to them than the
freedom in  Pakistan. It means that bread has priority over freedom.
You must first  have food in order to search for freedom. Have the
Iranians who are  seeking liberty today, passed a hunger crisis?

  As a result of not finding a suitable occupation, a hungry
Sunni/Pashtoon Afghan is immediately attracted to the theological
schools ready to offer food and shelter. In fact, contrary to Iran
that  never dealt with Afghan refugees in an organized manner,
Pakistan  promoted, organized and put into play the Taliban
government for a  variety of reasons. The first is the Durand line.

  Before Pakistani independence from India, Afghanistan shared borders
with India and serious disputes ensued between the two over the
Pashtoonestan region. The British drew the Durand line and divided
the region between the two countries, on the condition that after 100
years, Afghanistan regain control over the Indian part of
Pashtoonestan as well. Later on, when Pakistan declared  independence
from India that Indian half of Pashtoonestan became  half of
Pakistan. Since some six years ago, Pakistan, according to
international law was supposed to cede Pashtoonestan back to
Afghanistan. How would Pakistan that still has claims over Kashmir
agree to give half of its land area to Afghanistan?

  The best solution was to raise hungry Afghan mujaheds to control
Afghanistan. The Pakistan trained Taliban would naturally no longer
harbor ambitions of recovering Pashtoonestan from their patron. No
wonder the Taliban appeared just as the 100-year deadline drew to a
close. From a distance, Taliban appear to be irrational and dangerous
fundamentalists. When you look at them closely, you see hungry
Pashtoon orphans whose occupation is that of a theology student and
whose impetus for attending school is hunger. When you review the
appearance of the Taliban you see the national political interests of
Pakistan.

  If fundamentalism was the reason for the independence of Pakistan
from Gandhi's democratic India, the same applies for Pakistan's
survival and expansion at the expense of Afghanistan. At the same
time, Pakistan's significance for the world prior to disintegration
of the  Soviet Union was based on its being the first defensive
stronghold of  the West against the communist East. With Soviet
disintegration, to the  same degree that the Afghan fighter lost his
heroic position in the  western media, Pakistan also lost its
strategic importance and came  face-to-face with an employment crisis.

  According to the rules of sociology, every organization buys and
sells  something. Given this definition, armies sell their military
services to  their own or other nations and governments. What was
Pakistan's  national occupation in the world in relation to the West?
Playing the  role of an apparently eastern army but being possessed
of a western  internal conviction and selling military services to
the United States.  With Soviet disintegration, the demand for
Pakistan's military services  for the West also diminished.

  To which market then was Pakistan to present its military services
and  maintain this vital national occupation? That is why Pakistan
created  the Taliban: to have covert control of Afghanistan and stop
the Afghans  from demanding the cession of Pashtoonestan. The fact
that Pakistan,  first and foremost, faces an employment crisis, is
rooted in this  reasoning. If as a filmmaker I cannot make my films
in my homeland,  I'll go elsewhere for my occupation. Armies are the
same way. For any  big war effort, enormous reserves of a nation's
energy are directed  towards forming military organizations that
dispense military services.  Once the war is over, these units look
for other markets to maintain  their services. If they can't find a
market, they become discouraged  and either stage a coup d'etat or
transform into economic foundations.  Examples of the latter are
found in countries that have used their  military organizations to
control traffic or help with agriculture or road  construction.

  In the broader world, every once in a while, wars are fomented to
create demands for military materiel and take government purchase
orders. Let's go back to the issue of emigration. Unlike Iran,
Pakistan  used Afghan refugees as religio-political students and
founded the  Taliban army.

  Before the Soviet invasion, an Afghan was a farmer. With the Soviet
attack, each Afghan turned into a mujahed to defend his valley.
Organizations and parties were formed. With the Soviet retreat, the
Afghans didn't go back to farming. The new occupation seemed more
appealing and prosperous. Every sect or group began fighting another.
Six neighboring countries, the U.S. and Russia each sought their own
mercenaries among the military groups. As a result, a new wave of
employment came into existence. The civil war intensified so much
that  in two years, the damages were greater than in the longer
period of  the Russian presence. People were fed up with civil war
and when  Pakistan dispatched the army of the Taliban holding white
flags with  the motto of public disarmament and peace, people
welcomed them. In  a short time, the Taliban had control over most of
Afghanistan. It was  then that the Taliban's Pakistani roots went on
display.

  The Taliban have always been criticized for their fundamentalism but
little has been said about the reasons for their appearance. Although
the Herati poet who had come to Iran on foot, returned to Afghanistan
on foot, the orphan who had walked to Peshawar in Pakistan, returned
to conquer Afghanistan driving Toyotas offered by the Arab countries.

  How could Pakistan, who had subsistence problems with its own
people, afford to feed, train and equip the Taliban? With the help of
Arab countries such as Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates-who
as Iran's competitors had previously created tensions in Mecca-looked
for a religious power compatible with Iran. Saudi Arabia and the
Emirates who once felt their modern interests were threatened by the
motto of return to Islam, thought that if there is to be any return
to  Islam, why not return to a more regressive Islam like that of the
Taliban. If there's a contest for returning and the winner is one who
regresses the most, why not go back to the most primitive state
namely  Talibanism!.

  In modern times, emigration is a measurable issue in cultural,
political  and economic planning. For example, Turks migrated to
Germany and  worked in professions refused by the Germans. Unlike the
Germans  who had no incentive for reproduction, the Turks went on
producing  children and now it is predicted that in the next few
decades the Turks  will make up the majority of Germany's population.

  Based on this premise, Germany will soon have a Turkish identity and
considering the role of elections, we can imagine that perhaps in 30
years, a Turk will become the German chancellor. This means that the
need for Turk workers will gradually change the national identity of
Germany. This is history's satire.

  The same applies to Asian and African emigration to the United
States.  At first European emigrants marked the national identity of
America.  Asian and Africans, however, migrated to America because of
revolutions or in pursuit of intellectual and financial achievements.
Unlike the European emigrants to America, Asians and Africans
increased their population through reproduction. Gradually the
semi-European American identity will change to an Asian-African
identity. Inter-racial conflicts are then likely to arise as a result.

  If the American society welcomes the `Dialogue of Civilizations'
paradigm, it is because of concerns over future racial conflicts in
American society. Unlike what Iranians think, in the American
context, it  is not a proposal for exchange between cultures rather
dialogue is a  domestic American issue among its own cultures.

  But why can't the Iranian intellect that suggests strategic
solutions for  other continents, find ways to utilize the emigration
of Afghans to its  own advantage? The reason is that Iranians, unlike
the Pakistanis who  regard Afghanistan as an opportunity, have always
considered it more  of a threat than an opportunity. Iranians have
always perceived  Afghans as smugglers or fundamentalists. Iranian
investors have never  considered the large number of hungry Afghan
workers to be  potentially profitable in situ. The have never mulled
over the sort of  investment that would make Afghanistan a consumer
of their goods or  use cheap Afghan labor and perhaps export the
surplus production.

  Afghans have been unfortunate both with the geographical situation
of  their country and in political relations with their neighbors.
Years ago,  there was a big question about Franco, the Spanish
dictator. Although  Spain's neighbors had democratic governments,
Franco operated a  dictatorship. Influenced by its neighbors, Spain
later also became more  democratic, to the extent that today, it is a
vital member of the EEC.  The meaning of the fate of Spain is that
better living is possible if one is  destined to have neighbors.

  Afghanistan is stuck with neighbors who see it as threat or find it
an  opportunity for resolution of their own political-military
problems. If  Afghanistan had more democratic neighbors who viewed it
as an  economical-cultural opportunity it would have been in better
shape by  now. Fascist Spain became democratic due to the fortunate
adjacency  to democratic European countries while Afghanistan of the
would-be  progressive Amanullah Khan, because of unfortunate
circumstances of  neighborhood, turned into the redoubt of the
Taliban. An Arabic  proverb well describes the situation: "First the
neighbor, then the  house".

  Who are the Taliban?

  According to sociologists, the nations' demand for security from
their  governments is greater than any other consideration. Welfare,
development and freedom come next. After the Soviet retreat, the
outbreak of intense civil war created nationwide insecurity and the
country was placed in extremely perilous straits. Each group aimed at
providing its own security through continuous fighting. None of them
however were able to provide safety for the nation. The mocking irony
of this period was that every one tried to insure security by making
the  country unsafe.

  The strategy of disarmament and dispatch of the religious Taliban
claiming to be harbingers of peace quickly succeeded in winning
popular consent. The unsuccessful efforts of other groups were
centered on offering war and insecurity. Although the people of Herat
speak Farsi and the Taliban speak Pashtoon, when in Herat, I inquired
about the Taliban, the reply I heard from the shopkeepers was that
prior to the Taliban, their shops were robbed daily by armed and
hungry men. Even those who opposed the Taliban were happy with the
security they brought.

  Security was established for two reasons. One was the disarmament of
the public and the other the severe punishments such as cutting the
hands of thieves. These punishments are so harsh, intolerable and
quick that if the 20,000 hungry Afghans in Herat saw a piece of bread
before them, nobody would dare take it.

  I saw truck drivers who had traveled to and from Afghanistan for two
years and had never locked their vehicles. Nothing was ever stolen
from them either. Not only were the Afghans in need of financial
security but practical safety and freedom from harassment have
always been a concern. I heard different stories about how prior to
the  Taliban people's lives and chastity were violated by other
tribes and  sects. Disarmament and execution by stoning, however,
have reduced  the number of such violations.

  So we have 20 million hungry people before us 30% of who have
emigrated, 10% of who have died and the remaining 60% who are
starving to death. According to UN reports, one million Afghans will
die  of hunger within the next few months. Today, when you enter
Afghanistan, you see people lying around on street corners. Nobody
has energy to move and no arms to fight with. Fear of punishment
stops them from committing crimes. The only remedy is to stay and die
while humanity is overtaken by indifference. This is not Sa'di's time
of  "all men are limbs of one body".

  The only one whose heart had not turned to stone yet, was the Buddha
statue of Bamian. With all his grandeur, he felt humiliated by the
enormity of this tragedy and broke down. Buddha's state of
needlessness and calmness became ashamed before a nation in need  of
bread and it fell. Buddha shattered to inform the world of all this
poverty, ignorance, oppression and mortality. But negligent humanity
only heard about the demolition of the Buddha statue. A Chinese
proverb says: "You point your finger at the moon, the fool stares at
your finger."

  Nobody saw the dying nation that Buddha was pointing to. Are we
supposed to stare at all the different means of communication rather
than at what they are intended to convey? Is the ignorance of the
Taliban or their fundamentalism deeper than the earth's ignorance
towards the ominous fate of a nation such as Afghanistan?

  For filming the starving Afghans, I called Dr. Kamal Hussein, the UN
representative from Bangladesh. I told him I wanted to get permission
to go to north Afghanistan (controlled by Ahmad Shah Massoud) and
Kandahar (controlled by the Taliban). It was decided that a small
group  would go and eventually just two of us (my son and I) received
approval to travel with only a small video camera. We were to be
permitted to go to Islamabad (Pakistan) and take a small 10-passenger
UN airplane that flew once a week to the north and once a week to the
south.

  It took two weeks for the UN office to call and inquire when it was
convenient for us to depart. We were ready but they said that it
would  take another month. "Since it will get colder in a month and
more  people will be dying, it would make your film more
interesting", they  said. They recommended February. I asked, "More
interesting?" They  replied that perhaps it would provoke the
conscience of the world. I  didn't know what to say.

  We were silent for a while. Then I asked whether or not we could go
to  both north and south. The Taliban didn't agree. They are not too
fond  of journalists. I made a promise to only film those dying of
hunger.  Again the Taliban do not approve. I told them I need another
invitation  from the UN to re-enter Pakistan. Later, I received a
facsimile stating  that I had to go to the Embassy of Pakistan in
Tehran. I was happy  because before I had gotten a visa to Pakistan
from the embassy to  bring costumes for Kandahar from Peshawar.

  I referred to the Embassy of Pakistan. At first, I am not received
warmly. A little while passes and I'm called. A very respectable lady
and a gentleman direct me to a room. Of the 20 minutes that I am in
that room, for 15 minutes they talk about my daughter Samira and her
international success in cinema. They avoid the main issue and in
between words, I am asked why I applied through the UN to get a visa
and informed that it would have been better if I referred directly to
them. In addition they don't favor a film that misrepresents the
Taliban  government. They prefer I go to Pakistan not Afghanistan. I
feel like I  am in the embassy of the Taliban.

  I ask if they have seen The Cyclist and tell them I made a part of
it in  Peshawar and that it is not a political film. I tell them that
my intentions  are humanitarian and I want to help the Afghans
especially with  regards to hunger. I tell them that my film is about
the crisis of  employment and hunger. They say that we have 2.5
million Afghans in  Iran. Why not film them? It is useless to
continue the discussion. They  keep my passport and I am kindly asked
to leave. A few days later, I  receive my passport with a statement
saying that if I want to go to  Pakistan as a tourist, the visa can
be issued but not for filming or going  to Afghanistan. When I leave
the embassy, all of what I have read or  heard about the Taliban
passes before my eyes.

  I remember a Taliban school in Peshawar where I was escorted out as
soon as my Iranian identity became known. And I remember a day  when
in Peshawar for filming The Cyclist, I was arrested and  handcuffed.
I don't know why every time I intend to make a film about
Afghanistan I end up in Pakistan!

  People tell me to be careful. There is always the threat of
kidnapping  or terrorism at the borders. The Taliban are reputed to
assassinate  suspected opponents en route between Zahedan and Zabol.
I keep  saying my subject is humanitarian not political. Eventually,
one day  when we are finished filming near the border, as I am
walking around, I  come across a group that have come to either kill
or kidnap me. They  ask me about Makhmalbaf. I am sporting a long
thin beard and  wearing Afghan dress. A Massoudi hat with a shawl
covering it and half  of my face makes me look like an Afghan. I send
them the other way  and begin running while I cannot figure out
whether they have been  dispatched by a political group or smugglers
have sent them to extort  money.

  Let me go back to the issue of security. The Taliban, under the
auspices of public disarmament and implementation of punishments
such as amputation of the hands of thieves, stoning adulterers and
execution of opponents have brought an apparent security to
Afghanistan. When you listen to Shariat radio (Voice of Taliban) that
only has a two-hour program daily, even if there is fighting
somewhere,  they don't announce it just to maintain a sense of
national security.  They say for example, that the people of Takhar,
welcomed the  Taliban and you know it means that the Taliban attacked
and  conquered Takhar. The rest is just news about Friday prayer or
the  amputation of the hand of some bandit in Bamian, the stoning to
death  of a young adulterer in Kandahar or punishment of some barbers
who've cut a few teenagers' hair in the western style of infidels.
Whatever it is, with all the punishments and propaganda, a sense of
national security suffuses Afghanistan.

  Afghanistan, however, lacks the economic strength for the Taliban to
create public welfare, yet the Taliban are the only government that
can  bring security to the country. Those who fight the Taliban bring
threats  to security and those who support them reason that Afghans
must rule  in Afghanistan. Whoever is to become the ruler of
Afghanistan must  first bring security to the nation. Any kind of war
gives way to insecurity  and because Afghanistan is inclined towards
tribalism, with the coming  of anybody to power, security is again
threatened. It is better to first  recognize whoever aims to rule
Afghanistan, so that he can save  Afghanistan from its hunger crisis
and then move on. The same group  finds criticism of the Taliban
irrelevant to the lack of freedom in  Afghanistan, because an
insecure and famished nation seeks welfare  more than freedom and
development.

that  politically, the Taliban are an instrument for government
supported by  Pakistan. Individually, they are starving youth turned
students and  trained in crusader-breeding schools in Pakistan. They
first entered the  premises for a loaf of bread and later exited to
occupy political-military  positions in Afghanistan. The Taliban as
viewed by one political group,  are protagonists of fundamentalism in
the region and from the  viewpoint of another political group, are
the same Pashtoons who have  been the only rulers of Afghanistan
since the time of Ahmad Abdali.

  Today, they have reasserted 250-years of their power after an era of
internal chaos. They claim that in the past quarter millennium,
except  for a 9-month period that the Tajiks ruled and another
two-years that  the Tajik Rabbani governed, the Pashtoons have always
had control  and Afghanistan needs their experience in governing.

  I hardly understand these issues. My job is to make films and if I
have  delved into these matters, it is because I want to write my
script based  on a more precise analysis. The further I go though I
find the case  more complicated. I keep asking people that when the
U.S. found it  necessary, it retook Kuwait from Iraq in three days.
Why, however, with  all its touting of modernism, does it not
initiate an action to save the 10  million women who have no schools
or social presence and are  trapped under the burqa? Why doesn't it
stop this primitiveness that  has emerged in modern times? Does it
not have the power or does it  lack the incentive? I have already
found the answer.

  Afghanistan has no precious resources such as oil and it does not
have a surplus oil income like Kuwait. I hear another answer too. If
the  United States supports the Taliban for a few more years, the
ugly  image that will be portrayed to the world of an eastern
ideology, will  make everyone immune to it like modernism in
Afghanistan. If the  revolutionary and reformative interpretations of
Islam are equated with  Taliban's regressive interpretation, then the
world will become forever  immune to the expansion of Islam. Some
people find this analysis too  shabby a cliché. They tell me to let
go and I will.

  Who is Molla Omar?

  In my seemingly endless trip to Kandahar, everywhere there is talk
of  Molla Omar. His title is Amir-al-M'omenin (Commander of the
Faithful).  Some Iranian politicians believe that he was created to
compete with  the Iranian government but nobody really knows much
about his  background. Some say he is 40 years old and blind in one
eye but  there's no photograph of him to prove or disprove this. How
does a  nation choose a half-blind man overnight to lead them,
whereas not  even a picture has been seen of him? I get tempted to
make a film  about Molla Omar. For political reasons I avoid it but
my curiosity isn't  satisfied.

  If Pakistan prepares a precise script for the war-stricken people of
Afghanistan under the title of disarmament, and receives a positive
welcome by what analysis do they plan for a leader called Molla Omar
who has no prior image? Someone who's nobody or has not been  seen by
anybody, becomes the leader of a country in which each tribe  or sect
has its own leader. Perhaps this is where the secret lies. If a
known person were appointed leader to Afghanistan, then every one
would have an excuse to oppose him.

  I hear a joke near the border about a teahouse. "A teahouse hosted
Afghan customers on a regular basis. There was a TV set in this
teahouse equipped with a windshield wiper so if necessary, the owner
could spray some water on the screen and wipe clean any stains. The
owner was asked about this feature and he said that whenever there
was a TV program about the mujahedin that was visible in the border
areas, their opponents spit on the TV and since the customers used
snuff their secretions were colored. After a while the TV screen
became unusable so he invented the wiper."

  When the image of Afghan leaders is so deeply criticized and
satirized,  yet they are needed to rule Afghanistan, the best way is
to design an  imageless leadership that can't be criticized for its
form or background  and yet be able to free near-the-border
television sets from wipers!

  If I weren't ashamed of Buddha's shamefulness, I would title this
article  "Afghanistan, a country without an image". Every one I ask
about Molla  Omar says he is a representative of God on earth who
instead of  human laws brought the Qur'an as the country's
constitution. He is  extremely devout, as are his followers. His
wages are as paltry as the  Herat's governor's $15 and he lives like
the poor people that are dying  in the streets.

  I realize that the image of this imageless man is complete and
appealing because in the East, nobody expects leaders to be updated
and specialized or possess a national and universal insight. If only
the  leaders seem a little like the ordinary, it's enough to satisfy
the people.  An Afghan expressed the idea that if he was starving, he
was happy  that Molla Omar was always fasting too and that they were
like each  other. He thanked God for such a leader.

  In Herat I am speaking to a medical student. He is hesitant to be
seen  talking to me. I ask him if he knows the total number of
college  students in Afghanistan. While he keeps walking and looking
directly  ahead, he says: "A thousand". "In what major?" I ask. He
says: "Only  medicine and engineering." "Which one are you studying",
I ask and he  says: "Theoretical medicine." I asked what it meant and
he said that  Molla Omar thinks human dissection is a sin. I asked if
he had ever  seen Molla Omar's picture. He said no and left.

  Among the Pashtoo speaking refugees, I ran across some whom
although they hadn't seen Molla Omar knew of people who did. I even
met Iranian politicians who believe Molla Omar does really exist and
that he is also handsome. A group of Afghans who sleep in Iran at
night and cross the border in the day to sell dates in Afghanistan
happen to be fascinated by Molla Omar. They tell me that he is an
ordinary monk who dreamed of Mohammad, the prophet one night and  the
prophet commissioned him to save Afghanistan. Since God was  with
him, he was able to conquer Afghanistan in one month.

The role of international organizations in Afghanistan

  It is believed that some 180 international organizations are active
in  Afghanistan. They too avoid my non-political questions. Finally,
I find  out that they are in charge of a few tasks. One job is to
distribute bread  among the starving. A second is the struggle for
exchanging of  north-south prisoners and a third is to make
artificial hands and legs  for land mine victims.

  Forgetting the insignificant role of the international
organizations, I  become fascinated by the young people who have come
here through  the Red Cross. I meet a 19-year old British girl who
says the reason  she has come "is to be useful". It is in Afghanistan
that she can make  several artificial hands and legs for people each
day. She says that she  can't get a job in England that offers so
much satisfaction. Since she  came, a few hundred people have been
able to walk with the artificial  limbs she has made.

  I have a feeling that the role of international organizations is to
remedy  the deep and extensive wounds of this nation in a limited way
and  nothing more. Dr. Kamal Hossein, who is probably embarrassed
about  the visa to Pakistan, isn't calling me anymore.

  I remember his words the day he came to our office expressing how he
felt his job and efforts were in vain and he wanted to become my
assistant. And even now that I've finished making Kandahar, I feel
vain  about my profession. I don't believe that the little flame of
knowledge  kindled by a report or a film can part the deep ocean of
human  ignorance. And I don't believe that a country whose people in
the next  50 years will loose their hands and legs to anti-personnel
devices will  be saved by a 19-year old British girl. Why does she go
to  Afghanistan? Why does Dr. Kamal Hossein with all his despair,
still  report to the UN? Why did I make that film or write this note?
I don't  know, but as Pascal put it: "The heart has reasons that the
mind is  unaware of."

  The Afghan woman, the most imprisoned woman in the world

  Afghan society is a male-dominant society. It can even be claimed
that  the rights of 10 million Afghan women who make up half of the
populution in Afghanistan, are less than the weakest unknown Afghan
tribe. No tribe is an exception in this regard. The fact that Afghan
women even as viewed by the Tajiks, don't have the right to vote in
elections is the least that can be said about them.

  With the coming of the Taliban girls' schools were closed and for a
long  time, women were not allowed in the streets. More tragically,
even  before the Taliban one out of every 20 women were able to read
and  write. This statistic indicates that the Afghan culture had
practically  deprived 95% of women from schooling and the Taliban
deprived the  remaining 5%. Then why shouldn't we more realistically
ask whether  the culture of Afghanistan is affected by the Taliban or
was it the cause  for the Taliban's appearance?

  When I was in Afghanistan, I saw women with burqas on their head
begging in the streets or shopping in second hand stores. What caught
my attention were the ladies who brought out their hands from under
the burqas and asked little peddler boys to polish their nails. For a
long  time, I wondered why they didn't buy nail polish to use at
home? Later I  found out it was the cheapest way to do it. Buying
nail polish was more  expensive than a one-time use. I told myself
again that this is a good  sign that women under burqas still like
living and despite their poverty,  care about their beauty to that
extent. Later on, however, I reached the  conclusion that it is not
fair to isolate and imprison a woman in an  environment or a certain
costume and be content that she still puts on  make up.

  An Afghan woman has to maintain herself so that she won't be
forgotten in the competition with her rivals. Polygamy is quite
common  among young men too, and has turned many Afghan homes into
harems. Although the marriage allowance is so high that getting
married means buying a woman, I saw old men, while filming, give
away 10-year old girls and with the marriage price that they
received,  considered marrying other 10-year old girls for them
selves. It seems  that limited capital is exchanged from one hand to
the other to replace  girls from one house to the other. Among them
there are women who  have an age difference of 30 to 50 years with
their husbands.

  These women mostly live in the same house or even the same room  and
not only have they surrendered but they have also gotten used to
these customs. I had brought a lot of dresses and burqas from
Afghanistan and Pakistan for my film. Many of the women who agreed
to be in the film as extras after strenuous and lengthy persuasion,
requested that we gave them burqas instead of money. One of them
wanted a burqa for her daughter's wedding, and I, fearing that burqas
may become popular in Iran, didn't give any to anyone.

  Once when we had asked some Afghan women to be in the film, their
husband told us that he was too chaste to show his women. I told him
that we would film his women with their burqas on but he said that
the  viewers watching the movie know that it is a woman under the
burqa  and that would contradict chastity.

  Time and again I asked myself, did the Taliban bring the burqas or
did  the burqas bring the Taliban? Do politics affect change in
culture or  does culture bring politics?

  In Niatak camp in Iran, the Aghans themselves closed down the public
bathhouse reasoning that anyone who passes along the walls knowing
that the opposite sex is naked behind those walls, is engaged in a
sin.

  At present there are no woman doctors in Afghanistan and if a woman
wants to refer to a doctor she has to bring her son or husband or
father and through them talk to the doctor. As far as marriage, the
father or the brother, not the bride, say yes.

  Afghan aggression

  According to Freud human aggression stems from human animalism  and
civilizations only cover this animalism with a thin veneer. This thin
skin splits at the snap of a finger. Violence exists in both East and
West  what is different is the style not the reality of its existence.

  What's the difference between death by decapitation using knives,
daggers or swords or dying by bullets, grenades, mines and missiles?
In most cases, criticism of aggression is really the disapproval of
the  means of aggression. The death of one million Afghans as a
result of  injustice in the world is not regarded by the world as
aggression. The  death of 10% of the Afghan population by civil war
and war with Russia  is not perceived as aggression but the
decapitation of someone with a  sword will long be the main headline
of satellite TV news.

  It is naturally fearsome and horrible to see a person being
decapitated  but why doesn't the death of people every day by land
mines give us  the same feeling? Why are knives aggressive but not
mines? What's  criticized in the modern West of Afghan aggression, is
form and not  substance. The West can create a tragic story for a
statue but for  death by millions, it suffices with statistics. As
Stalin put it: "The death  of one person is tragedy, but the death of
one million is only a statistic."

  Afghanistan is a country inclined to tribalism and a tribal order
dominates it. These tribes aggressively resisted against foreign
dominance, yet benefited from the conflict of interest among its
tribes.  Although Afghanistan is called the museum of races and
clans, tourists  have never visited this museum. If anyone passed
through  Afghanistan, it was either Nadir Shah intending to conquer
India or the  Soviets seeking to reach warm waters. Thus, the rough
Afghan  besides what he has learned from the harshness of nature, has
always  been faced with foreign aggression as well.

  The consequences of war in Afghanistan

  Afghanistan became independent from Iran about 250 years ago and
about 150 or according to other sources about 82 years ago, its
borders were determined by the Durand line. It encountered a
premature modernism about 77 years ago. Some 20 years ago it was
invaded by the Soviets and it has been involved in a civil war for
the  past 10 years. About 40% of Afghanistan's population have been
tragically killed or become refugees.

  Nevertheless, this country and its people have either been neglected
or considered as threats or they have been used as a means of threat
against others. When I was crossing the border, I saw Iranian cannons
pointed towards Afghanistan and when I entered Afghanistan, I saw
cannons pointing to Iran. These cannon indicated that both countries
regard each other as threats.

  On the other side of the border I heard the region's military
commander had called the Iranian consul and told him that their
homes were made of clay so what did the Iranian cannons aim to
target? He had said, "The worst is that you bombard our houses and
when it rains well take the wet mud and build our homes anew again.
Don't you find it a pity if our cannons destroy your beautiful homes?
You can't make glass and iron and ceramics with rain. Why don't you
come and build the road to Herat for us?"

  When I ride to Herat from Dogharoon, I feel like I'm sailing on a
turbulent sea. I remember a time when I got trapped in a storm in the
Persian Gulf while filming. The waves would take our small boat up
for  several meters and bang us back on the water's surface. The
boatman  told us if the craft turned over, it was goodbye. And now I
see those  waves again, but they are waves of dirt. At the beginning
of the road  the car goes downhill and comes back up the hill and in
the middle of  the trip the car beats against the dirt waves.
Although this area is flat  and includes the non-mountainous part of
Afghanistan, the road is  worse than the winding roads of Iran.

  Above the height of each wave, shovel-holding men and boys stand for
eternity. As far as the eye can see, these shovel-holding men are
visible. As soon as our car gets close to them, they start filling up
the  ditches with dirt and while throwing worthless Afghan paper
currency to  them, we see them in the dust the same way that we saw
the dance of  leaves in Once Upon A Time Cinema. It is a scene of
shovel-holding  men who disappear in the dust and have created an
occupation for  themselves out of nothing. This is the most surreal
scene that I see in  Afghanistan.

  I ask the driver how many cars pass this road every day. He says:
"About 30." I ask if these thousands of shovel-holding men gather for
only 30 cars, but the driver is paying attention to driving and he is
not  in the mood to answer me. Slowly, I turn on the radio. It's been
years  since I quit listening to the radio or watching TV and I
haven't read any  papers for months. It is September 23rd of 2001 the
2:00 o'clock  Iranian news is on. It makes me cry to hear that two
million Iranian kids  have gone to first grade today. I don't know if
it is out of joy for the  children who are going to school or out of
sorrow for those who don't  go to school in Afghanistan.

  I look at the road and I feel like I'm watching a movie. The driver
tells  me that in some of these houses girls schools are established
secretly  and some girls study at home. I keep thinking here is a
subject for a  film. I arrive in Herat and see women polishing their
nails from under  the burqas. I tell myself here is another film
subject. I see the 19-year  old British girl who has come to
dangerous Afghanistan to be useful. I  tell myself again, here is
another subject. I see loads of lame men  who've lost their legs to
mines. One of them, instead of an artificial leg,  has tied a shovel
to the left side of his body and walks with it. I tell  myself, here
is yet another subject.

  I arrive in Herat and see dying people covering the streets like
carpets.  I no longer see it as another subject. I feel like quitting
cinema and  seeking another occupation. When Massoud, Afghanistan's
top military  chief was asked what he wished for his children to
become, he replied,  "politicians". It means that war as a solution
has reached a dead-end in  the mind of the commander. He thinks that
the solution to  Afghanistan's salvation is more political than
military. In my opinion, the  only solution for Afghanistan is a
rigorous scientific identification of its  problems and presentation
of a real image of a nation that has  remained obscure and imageless
both for itself and for others.

  Resolution of employment crisis

  Once the industrial countries saturated their internal markets with
their  products, they went after international markets. In paying the
price for  their consumption, the non-industrial countries each
offered a product  and others, cheap labor. In this game,
Afghanistan, due to  mountainous geography and lack of roads was
unable to exploit its raw  materials cost-effectively.

  Due to mismanagement, dispersion of population-arisen from the
farming period-and disunion which is a quality of the tribes,
Afghanistan did not have the potential to offer its labor force to
the  world in exchange for other goods or services. Thus, Afghanistan
stayed away from the global game of subsistence and lived on by its
insignificant wealth from the grasslands. The entrance of the Soviet
Union resulted in a nationwide reaction and the farmers turned to
fighters. With the Soviet retreat, these fighters would not consent
to  going back to farming.

  On one hand the civil war spread because of a power struggle. Since
then insecurity and emigration increased. The 30% of Afghan
emigrants probably experienced better living in other cities and did
not  want to be dependent on grasslands for a living, especially,
since they  would be threatened by periodic drought. Afghans desired
a more civil  share of life. This means that Afghanistan with all its
historical tardiness  has announced its need to enter world trade.

  What is the most immediate wealth, however, that can be offered to
enter the world of production-consumption or vice versa? Doubtlessly,
the answer is Afghanistan's cheap labor. Labor is more obtainable
than  exploiting raw materials in the roadless mountainous
Afghanistan. The  dominant outlook on Afghanistan should cast aside
its military-political  prism. It should be replaced with an economic
direction perspective. If  employment is taken both as the root and
final solution for the present  crisis, through national management,
Afghanistan can also enter world  trade and the circle of
international subsistence. It can achieve its real  share and pay for
its cost which is to offer labor, consumer products  and take
advantage of present-day civilization and modernism. This  was well
experienced in Mao's China, Gandhi's India and quite  successfully
accomplished in diligent Japan.

  Viewed from this the point of vantage the illness of Afghans is not
a  disaster. It is a market for Afghan doctors. The lack of
specialist  physicians is not a disaster, It is a market to teach
medical assistants  with a few months of education. Hunger is not a
disaster. It is a market  for consumption of bread. Lack of bread is
not a disaster. It is a market  for wheat. Lack of wheat is not a
disaster. It is a market for harnessing  wasted waters.

  Waters harnessed by labor mean dams. Dams built by labor mean
wheat. Wheat is bread. Bread is satiation. Beyond satiation, it is
surplus. Surplus satiation is development. Development is
civilization.  Stalin had said, "The death of one person is a
tragedy, but the death of  one million is a mere statistic."

  Since the day I saw a little Afghan girl 12 years of age, the same
age  as my own daughter Hanna-fluttering in my arms of hunger-I've
tried  to bring forth the tragedy of this hunger, but I always ended
up giving  statistics. Oh God! Why have I become so powerless, like
Afghanistan?  I feel like going to that same poem, to that same
vagrancy and like that  Herati poet, get lost somewhere, or collapse
out of shame like the  Buddha of Bamian.

  I came on foot, I'll leave on foot  The same stranger who had no
piggy bank, will leave.  And the child who had no dolls, will leave.
The spell on my exile will be broken tonight.  And the table that had
been empty, will be folded.  In suffering, I wandered around the
horizons.  It is me, who everyone has seen in wandering.  what I do
not have, I'll lay and leave.  I came on foot, I'll leave on foot.

  Copyright © Iranian.com All Rights Reserved. Legal Terms for more
information contact:  times at iranian.com