[Reader-list] Ruchir Joshi - Life during wartime

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Oct 14 06:09:28 IST 2001

The Hindu
Sunday, October 14, 2001
Features

Life during wartime

All through his time in New York, RUCHIR JOSHI carried a bag of fear
inside him, as the city never lost a certain hum of general
aggression and nastiness. But it also had a chaotic warmth ... a
sense of camaraderie, its inhabitants happy at living in the innards
of this particular beast and no other. New York was the world, and
the whole planet sent bits of itself to the city as human tithe. The
first of a two-part article.

WHEN I lived in New York I never saw it as a part of America. New
York was New York and, even though I had no plans to settle there, it
felt like it belonged to me as much as anyone else. America, on the
other hand, was emphatically not mine. America was the soulless mess
that began once you came out of the tunnel or got off the bridge into
New Jersey or southern New York state. The grey suburban-industrial
penumbra of the city was a truly foreign place and not where I liked
spending any time. I journeyed out when I needed to, on as few
occasions as possible, and escaped back to the city as fast as I
could.

I rented a top floor garret between Avenue B and Avenue C, not too
far from Wall Street. The World Trade Center (WTC) was pretty close
by NYC standards - a friend who lived next door and worked down near
Tribeca got there in 15 minutes every morning - but for all real
purposes the twin towers were on the other side of the planet, so far
away that they could even have been in America. Downtown was where
all the world's money was, and the East Village was where all the
world's money was not, unless of course you happened to be in the
narcotics trade.

I loved this non-American, un-dollared, neighbourhood which had been
the first beachhead on the continent for so many generations of
immigrants, from Ukranians and Poles in the early 20th Century to,
more recently, the Puerto Ricans and Bangladeshis. I loved the sounds
that welcomed me as I returned home every day, the old alcoholics in
Tomkins Square beating up mad salsa rhythms on their beer cans, the
timbre of each can changing as it emptied, the warring boom-boxes on
the basketball courts, the modern-jazz guy reverberating the empty
school building across my street with his tenor sax, the acappella of
police sirens, the broad Belfastese of the Irish Republican Army
(IRA) priest who ran the boys' shelter next door, the deep hammer of
a Harley when a local Hell's Angel landlord rode by, cruising for
some tenant late on his rent.

As I climbed up the six floors to my "apartment" there was also a
whole sequence of smells, and I could almost identify each floor with
my eyes closed: stale urine and dirty cat litter on the ground, ganja
on the second, pork fat frying on the fourth, industrial strength
bug-killer on the fifth, old dust and fresh coffee on my own floor,
the sixth.

No, it was not America, or not just America, it was the whole world,
and I was sure it was like no other place on earth.

It was not always nice. All through my time in New York I carried a
little bag of fear inside me, and there were times, when faced with a
gun or a knife, when the bag burst open and spilled out total,
abject, terror. Besides the fear, the city never lost a certain hum
of general aggression and nastiness. Then there was a visibility to
poverty here that put the visibility of the rich into sharp relief,
like morning light shining sideways on a tall building. There was
that huge verticality always dwarfing you, and that fed into a
particular New York loneliness. If you happened to be broke when the
December wind funnelled down an avenue and jumped you, it could
become chillingly clear that nobody really gave a damn whether you
were starving or not.

But the city also had a chaotic warmth. I came from Calcutta, and
there were similarities that I appreciated. The naked garbage on the
streets was comforting, as was the maelstrom of traffic - there was
the satisfaction that not everything worked and not everything had
to; strangers would pick up conversations, have opinions they needed
to communicate, advice to offer about your shoes, and questions to
ask about the universe; friendships would form much faster than in
other western cities - there was a sense of camaraderie against this
beast we were living in, but we also shared an electric sense of
adventure, a happiness at living in the innards of this particular
beast and no other.

New York was the world, and the whole planet sent bits of itself to
the city as human tithe. In one day, without being conscious of it at
all, I would find I had stopped at the Cuban's bodega to buy my
coffee beans, visited the bakery run by the three old Jews on East
9th to get bagels and poppy seed cake, shook hands with the East
African Gujaratis running the subway newstand ("Bawss, ek Playboy
aney ek Voice aapjo ney!"), chatted to the Ukranian lady as she
served me my lunch of borsht and chala bread at Veselka, visited the
trendy new Japanese restaurant for a quick beer, and ended the
evening knocking back Wyborowa Vodka and cursing the Soviet
leadership in the Polish bar called Blue and Gold; and most of all of
this within seven minutes of where I lived.

Besides my American friends, around me also lived several different
non-Americans who had nothing to do with running shops and
restaurants. Till I reached New York, job-descriptions such as
"bohemian", "revolutionary", "exile" and "dissident" were only
romantic words I had seen on paper. In the East Village I found
myself surrounded by real exiles and dissidents. As I looked around
at the diverse people around me I totted up yet more lists and this
was the "political" one: there were the two Iranian Communists who
had been persecuted by the Shah's Savak and who then had comrades
executed by the Ayatollah's goons; then there were the
anti-communists, some young Cubans, and the slightly older Poles, one
of whom gave me a real Solidarity union badge from the Gdansk
shipyards; there was the anti-Zionist Israeli sculptor; and then
there were a couple of Palestinians at the breakfast diner who kept
to themselves, but who began nodding hello to me once they realised I
was Indian. In the middle of all this there was me, neither an exile
nor a dissident, very happy to be where I was for the time being, and
happy precisely because I knew I could always go back home to a
normal life in Calcutta.

Despite all the craziness, there was a normalcy to New York too.
Life's major upheavals happened elsewhere and we, as was due to those
living at the centre of the world, received news of them. In no
particular sequence, I remember the following taking place between
the Augusts of 1981 and 1982: Jaruzelski's crackdown on the
Solidarity movement which signalled the beginning of the end of the
Soviet Empire; the war in the Falklands, which would be cited nine
years later as a kind of precedent and model for the Gulf War; the
first cases of AIDS starting to come to public notice; the war in
Afghanistan escalating as the war between Iran and Iraq continued;
Britain exploding into race riots; Israel invading Lebanon, and the
butchery at Sabra and Shatila refugee camps being overseen by an
ex-Panzer General called Ariel Sharon.

There were things brewing in India too, but I was less aware of these
than I should have been. I was far more interested in the events in
other parts of the world. There were signs though, if only I had been
clever enough to read them, and they would lead to a shattering of
many normalcies that I took for granted at the time.

Over the next decade, all the components of September 11 would
appear, one by one, in the arena of Indian politics. Before the
Lockerbie crash there would be the bomb which exploded Air India's
"Kanishka" - the first instance where airport security was breached
not to take hostages but to bring a plane down. Next, Rajiv Gandhi
was killed by a woman with a bomb strapped to her body - till then
the highest profile murder by a suicide bomber. Bombs also went off
in an attempt to destroy the Air India building and the Bombay Stock
Exchange, two tall buildings standing near the sea, in the financial
heart of the major commercial city of the country. These and the
other blasts across Bombay were in retaliation for attacks on
Muslims. Looking back, one can see the whole kit that went into
making the WTC atrocity being laid out, as if a macabre collagist was
cutting out the various bits he was later going to stick together to
make a bigger deconstruction.

In New York I had, of course, no idea that any of this was coming.
Despite knowing so many people, all of whom were, in some sense,
questioning where they had come from and where they now found
themselves, I continued to hold on to a certain idea of India - one I
had carried with me in some shape or form throughout my conscious
life. Despite its many problems, mistakes and failures, India, to me,
was the "good guy", stable, and inherently decent. India was the
David to the Goliaths of America, the former USSR and China. India
was, in more ways than one, home.

I was from India but also, in a deep sense, India was from me. In
retrospect, it seems a crazily nave idea to have retained till the
ripe age of 21. I was old enough to know better, and it was in New
York, in the international bhelpuri I found myself in, that my
picture of India first got dented and began its irretrievable slide
towards disintegration.

The first time "India" got knocked was at a falafel stall near
Madison Square Garden. Whenever I passed by I used to pick up a kebab
and pita from this place. The two guys who ran it looked like they
were from my part of the world, but I never had the time to ask them.
Then, one day, as the man handed me my loaded pita, he asked me -
"Where you from?" "India," I said, "What about you?" "Kashmir, I am
coming from Kashmir." I nodded. "So, same. India, no?" The man's eyes
flashed and he shook his head. "Not India! Azad Kashmir!" Some
patriotic gland inside me secreted adrenalin and I retorted, "Oh, you
mean Pakistan Occupied Kashmir!" The man was about to hand me my
change, but he froze when I said this. I would swear to myself later
that if he had had a kebab skewer or a meat knife handy he would have
cut me open. For that one paused moment I could see the options
flashing through his eyes. Something in him decided not to kill me in
broad daylight on one of the busiest crossroads in the world. Instead
he leaned forward and spoke quite slowly, making sure I got it. "No
India and no Pakistan. One day all Kashmir - free!" Then he pressed
the change into my hand as if giving me back all of India.

I dismissed the man as some fool loaded with the delusion that
Pakistan would ever let Kashmir be independent. I tried to put the
incident out of my mind, but the Kashmiri had opened a Pandora's box.
A couple of weeks later, I fell into a conversation with a
Bangladeshi man who told me he had fought in the Mukti Bahini against
the Pakistanis in 1971. True or false, I was fascinated by his
stories and quite unprepared for what happened as we came out of the
bar.

"I would say let us meet again," he said to me, his slurring making
it difficult for me to understand his East Bengali accent, "but I
have found it is best not give you Indian bastards too much. You can
never trust an Indian. First we thought you were our friends, but now
... but now." He expelled some abuses that I recognised despite the
accent, " ... now we know, really, really what Big Brother means!" He
spat a couple more expletives at me and turned and walked away,
leaving me mystified.

India, as far as I remembered, had given shelter to hundreds of
thousands of East Bengali refugees fleeing the murderous Pakistani
army. Finally, our own army had gone in, fighting a war to free what
was now Bangladesh from Pakistan.

I just could not understand the man - what had India done wrong?
Equally confusing was the drunken Nepali who tried to beat me up one
January night outside the Astor Place subway. "You! India! Bastard!"
I can still remember the words coming out of his mouth, three
distinct shapes smoking up in the winter air as he lurched after me,
throwing punches. As I sprinted away from the madman the same
question ran with me - why? And then a variation of it, when once or
twice Sikhs I passed on the street looked at me funny - had they,
perhaps, mistaken me for a Pakistani?

(To be continued)

(The title of this essay is taken from the title of a song by the
rock group Talking Heads. The song was a big hit in New York during
the time I describe.)

Ruchir Joshi's first novel The Last Jet-engine Laugh was published
earlier this year by HarperCollins India.