[Reader-list] Marketing a War

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Oct 14 22:51:25 IST 2001

The Hindu
Sunday, October 14, 2001
Features

Marketing a war

WHILE those Tomahawk missiles that cost a million and a half dollars
apiece are busy flattening out a faraway Third World country that
would be hard put to scrummage together total assets, military or
otherwise, of a million dollars, we are getting vivid, blow by blow
accounts of the attempts that are on to assuage First World Fear.
President Bush is swearing in America's first ever director of
homeland security. Former Governor Ridge, he tells us, is a patriot
who has heard the sound of battle. ``He is a man of compassion who
has seen what evil can do."

So the alerts go out across this well organised nation, and reports
come pouring in. Of coast guards mobilising to guard 88,000 miles of
coastline, of queues of trucks and vans waiting to be checked before
they can enter Manhattan, of airport queues building up because of
unprecedented security checks, and ready- for-the-worst Americans
telling the cameras with cheerful stoicism that they are prepared for
the inconvenience. Director Ridge is on the job, doing his bit. ``I
encourage all Americans to have a heightened sense of their
surroundings. I am counting on every American to help us defend
America in this war.''

Of course the poor dears are worried, you will say, after the horror
of September 11. Except that back in 1991, as a new convert to cable
TV and Cable News Network (CNN), I remember watching in disbelief
that as those Scud missiles began dropping over Iraq, Americans in
the United States were being offered counselling for enduring the
trauma of watching their soldiers go to war.

Psychologists were in TV studios, urging early recognition of the
symptoms of anxiety and stress. First World fear is not just
palpable, it is always on camera. The White aggressor always has a
face and a family, the brown victim is very hard to spot close up on
the TV channels, even ours. Finally, by Tuesday night last week, the
BBC had pictures of life returning to Kabul streets, vegetable
vendors tying their spinach into bundles, people shopping for food.

Is the relative absence of pictures on the ground from the area under
attack because Al Jazeera was not putting out enough footage of
damage, death and destruction, or because it was not getting picked
up by the channels that the Indian news channels were picking up
from? The great irony of this war has been that almost all footage of
the actual bombing has emanated from this Arab channel. The Taliban
kept most of America's mighty networks at bay, and this Qatar channel
(pronounced ``gutter'' by the woman from CNN) did brisk business,
offering its footage to the world at large, including Indian news
channels.

What you got from BBC, Channel News Asia, CNN and Fox correspondents
were piece-to cameras from Islamabad or Peshawar. As their reporters
squint into the sun from the rooftop of the Marriott, faces red
presumably with the heat, and say their piece, against a faraway
backdrop of brown and green, the folks back home doubtless imagine
that they are on the battlefront.

"Operation Enduring Freedom" will perhaps do for Al Jazeera what the
Gulf War did for CNN. Make it a household name across the globe. To
the accusations of being a propaganda tool for Osama the Elusive,
Ahmed Sheikh, one of the channel's leading lights said indignantly to
Shankar Aiyar of Channel News Asia,`` We have our own policy, we work
on norms of journalism, freedom for all points of view. America is
the greatest advocate of the freedom of speech, now they come and
say, you shut up. Coming from Americans this is shocking,
unbelievable.'' Lectures on press freedom and independence from
Osama's most reliable conduit to the outside world. What a crazy war
this is.

All the stuff you can find on the Internet (being faithfully
regurgitated by my fellow hacks in the morning newspapers each day)
tells you that this five-year-old channel has made a name for itself
in the Arabic-language news business with often- acclaimed reporting
and an independent editorial policy that is rare in the region. We
are objective and independent, its chief executive asserts. But you
cannot help wondering how kindly Bin Laden and Co. would take it if
Al Jazeera decided tomorrow that it would not oblige every time he
chose to communicate with the outside world. May be he knows it will
not do that, given what a marketable commodity every word that falls
from his lips, is.

It could be a while before anyone knows which of the two wars will
succeed more: the one waged with Tomahawks, or the one with peanut
butter and jam, or if you prefer, with baked beans and potato
vinaigrette. But it makes for great copy. A beaming Colonel Bob
Allardice told us after dropping 37,000 packets of this ingenious
menu on three million starving Afghans, that it had been an
outstanding success. (You really have to admire Americans for their
unshakeable faith in the rightness of the American Way.) But there
was carping almost instantly, in response. Medicine Sans Frontieres
wanted to know which medical handbook recommended peanut butter and
strawberry jam to counter malnutrition. It also asked sourly how the
U.S. knew that the food was getting to the right people, that people
would know it was safe to eat, and that it was not dropping on land
planted with mines. Poor Uncle Sam. Can it ever get it right in the
eyes of the non-American world? Fortunately, there was not much self-
doubt on evidence. The TV channels like to help keep the morale of
the aggressor up. Opposition is a containable sound bite from Times
Square in New York. A placard from a protestor telling Bush he has
been fired, a bustle of peaceniks chanting 1-2-3-4, stop the bombing,
stop the war.

And then there was the coverage from our home squad of eager beavers.
"Jawabi Hamla", brought to you by MDH pakora masala on Aaj Tak.
"Headlines" sponsored by J. Hampstead on Zee News. The latter would
announce the headlines, take an ad break, give you the headlines,
take an ad break, and then come back with the news. Just in case you
had any doubts about why they were in business. And Aaj Tak was
telling those who asked that it had the sensitivity to reduce the
ads, hadn't we noticed?

On the Sunday that Madhav Rao Scindia was killed, the channel
apparently touched a record of 45 minutes of sponsored programming in
one hour. Thirty minutes of ads, 15 minutes of sponsored items, like
the weather. That finally prompted big chief Aroon Purie to step in
and rescue the news from the ad clutter.

We did not see CNN, BBC and Channel News Asia drown their news in
commercials. For all their faults, the big boys get some things
right. And while assiduously copying their war rooms, maps and
pointers over here, our home-grown channels might have also taken a
cue on the etiquette of reporting distress.

SEVANTI NINAN

E-mail the writer at sevantininan at vsnl.com