[Reader-list] weather-war reports

Ravikant ravikant at sarai.net
Sat Oct 20 15:56:53 IST 2001

Yes, the reporting from the so-called 'battle-rooms' is extremely irritating.
And it has become a genre - of naturalised aesthetics - as Jeebesh rightly
points out. There is a choice made here in terms of selections made from the
received mapping traditions.  You don't choose the more busy 'Political' maps
because 'Natural landscapes' present reality in broad brushstokes, are
vaguely three-dimensional, and completely de-humanized. The graphics(or
pictures taken by  bomber planes themselves) on bombings make it appear even
more lifeless, by converting the greens into gray, depopulated locales. Its
as if these places suddenly spring up from nowhere, whose sole reason for
existence is their 'target-ness'. They do not have a history, sociology or
even futures. It is an ironical reversal of the trend started by Hindi News
Channel "Aj Tak', which brought in human interest into weather reporting by
collapsing headlines with the weather news from diffrent cities.

The Satellite Reporter of the Mahabharata, Sanjay, did his commentator's job
with more empathy than our jouralists, I must say. Is it because he was
reporting a war among relatives, including his own? The philosophical
rationale/counterpoint to sentimentalism, of course,  was provided by
Krishna, who had a lot of realpolitik convincing to do before Arjuna decided
to kill his own kith and kin. The Lord had to propound the theory of the
futility of life, relationships, etc. to wean Arjuna away from his natural
human frailties.

Jeebesh also talks about the on-screen gestures of the presenters. Their body
language and  tone betrays a sense of glee. Thus what we get as reporting on
this one-sided war is a peculiarly sanitized partisanship.

ravikant