[Reader-list] BLACK TUESDAY: THE VIEW FROM ISLAMABAD

Pradip Saha prosaha at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 18 00:03:20 IST 2001

let me begin with a cliché: i condemn violence, i condemn terrorism. i'll be
honest, i'm not so strong to advocate violence, i'll be a loser in a violent
game! i'll also be honest about another thing, (i'm risking my neck!!!):
those two towers crumbling didnt leave me spellbound, they didnt look real,
maybe it was a McMovie, or a McGame. i've seen these all before, isnt it
terrible?

i cannot understand the dichotomy between political spirit and political
belief. maybe, political belief is fact while the spirit is fiction, an
advertisement. i'd love to believe that we are one world (like the real
thing!!!), but here i lie naked, SUCKED. and just before i collapse, i see
the great neon and laser show, a promotional efffort by THE SUCKER: we are
one world.

i see a total mindlessness in overlooking the political economy of
globalisation. president bush looks like a junior school debator when he
talks about the virtue of market and globalisation as the TOOL for wiping
out global poverty. globalisation is americanisation, (please remember
america is an icon of certain political belief, not political spirit), eu
will wake up to a horrible morning one day. Twentieth century was a success
for the enterprise, promotion of McBurger has been COMPLETE, we look forward
to a successful McThinking within this century!

let me be serious about one thing: the successive governments in usa have
been able to make the ONE WORLD as their playing field only because of a
highly ill-informed us citizens (and selfish because of that certain
political belief). people who cannot differentiate between an arab and a
sikh! and i see now on CNN (obviously) that majority of americans support an
all-out military assault on terrorism. i drink to that political spirit!!!
ill-informed citizens dont realise that it will help the most reckless
industry of the McCivilisation, longer, the better.

i urge the american civil society organisations and academia (supposed to be
a great one but must be a failure in real terms as they cannot make any
in-road among its constituency) to educate the citizens, to try to get them
out of a "US and them" syndrome. the support of the ill-informed americans
let their government divide the world into several worlds, the selfishness
prompts them to leave all negotiating tables on sustainablity (remember
senior bush in rio conference:"american lifestyle cannot be compromised")

we initially believed that we belonged to an one world, and we have been
proved otherwise. so please dont bring in this line for convenience, like a
safety valve. our political spirit is so stale that we cannot "just do it".

and i'll be honest once again: i condemn terrorism, violence and cruelty. i
hated the pictures of Mai Lai as a young boy. i started liking the gulf
images. and i think CNN has lost its edge, this time around they cannot
start the real McMovie. anyway, i just heard the gem of a quote on tv: bush
saying, "i want justice". i'm sure he can buy it somewhere.

i'm waiting. because when the war is over, it's gonna be one McWorld, and
even the sucker wont survive.

i hope all those innocent people's souls rest in peace, and their dear ones
to demand for a REAL solution.