[Reader-list] one world vs. One World (TM) (Inc.) (C)

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Sep 18 12:17:09 IST 2001

Here is avery long e mail - a compilation of 14 postings that was sent to me
by Kamla Bhasin.

It acts as a follow up to Harsh Kapoor's circualtion of the notice for a
Peace Vigil and to the last posting I made with the statement of an Anti War
Group in Austin, Texas, USA.

I would not have ordinarily sent such a posting on to the readers list,
because of its length. But if anyone has the patience to actually go through
this one they would realise that these are statements against war from
Israel, India, Pakistan, the Afghan diaspora in Pakistan,Australia, America
and Europe. In order of appearance, they are  -

1.]Coalition of Women for Peace / Israel & Palestine
2.] Text Distributed at one of the Vigils held on 15 September 2001 Saturday
in London, UK}
3.]Statement from the War Resisters League, USA
4.]Proposition One Committee, USA
5.]Statement by THE GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
6.]Draft Statement by a coalition of Australian Anti War Groups
7.]STATEMENT BY THE FORUM OF INDIAN LEFTISTS , USA
8.]Statement by South Asia Forum for Human Rights, Nepal
9.]Letter to George Bush by 60 signatories against war (signatories are from
India, Pakistan, USA and many countries in Europe
10.]Statement Codemning Terrorism in New York and appealing against the
unleashing of War on Afghanistan by RAWA - the Revolutionary Association of
Afghan Women
11.]Statement by the Campaing for Nuclear Disarmamant and Peace (CNDP) New
Delhi
12.]Text of the Dalai Lama's message to George Bush
13.] Press Statement by NGO Coalition for an International Criminal Court
14.] Statemnent by Human Rights Watch - "Civilian Life Must Be Respected"

Clearly a case of 'one world' saying something quite different from
One World (TM) (Inc.) (C)

Cheers

Shuddha

Apologies for the length of this posting

Dear Friends,

I am sharing with you a series of statements (14 of them) from different
peace initiatives elsewhere, which have been sent to me by various
friends.

In solidarity

Kamla Bhasin

=========

[1.]

Coalition of Women for Peace / Israel

Dear friends,

It seems that the nightmare has just begun and that the  terrible events
of
the past week are only the beginning of a war that seems inevitable.
At the Coalition's last meeting we decided that we should make our voice
against the war heard.

As a first step we will publish an ad in Thursday's newspaper, and
follow
it on Friday by a special Woman in Black vigil.
Our ad will be published in the "Haaretz" newspaper this Thursday. The
next
day,  Friday, September 21, 10:00 AM, we will  hold a national Women in
Black vigil opposite the US Embassy in Tel Aviv calling on the US
government  to stop the war.
  During the vigil we will request the US Ambassador to receive a
delegation

of  women that will hand him a letter containing the text of the ad,
addressed to the President of the US. We will also address the same
letter
and send it to the Israeli Prime Minister and othe Israeli officials
(See
below the text of the ad/letter).

We would like to suggest that  you  join us in this or in similar
actions
as part of an international campaign against the war. As every Women in
Black vigil is independent and autonomous, each group can determine its
own
format, signs, and agenda.  The more vigils and actions, the more the
political leadership around the world will get the message: This war is
unacceptable.  Period.

If you can organize a vigil or any action against the war  in your city,
or
if you know of any action that is being organized, please let us know
and
we will inform all the contacts in the Coalition's and Women in black
network.
Please forward this message to as many others as possible.

If you need additional information or need assistance please contact us:

Miri Krasin  razizvi at post.tau.ac.il until Friday, September 21.
Debby Lerman debbyl at actcom.co.il from Saturday, September 22.

Debby Lerman

AD/ LETTER TO BE PUBLISHED THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER  20

  Stop this war!
  We - Palestinian and Jewish women from Israel, activists who have
worked
for many years to achieve  a just peace and the end of  Occupation -
feel
shocked and numbed by the murderous terrorist attack against New York
and
Washington. Deeply shaken by the immense pain and destruction, we wish
extend our condolences to the families of the victims,  express our deep
empathy and solidarity with the American people,  and condemn the murder
and  injury of innocent people.

To end the cycle of violence:

·        The governments of Israel and the USA must immediately stop
their
campaign of racist slander that turns reality into a mythic struggle
between Good and Evil, between a "superior" western culture and an
"inferior" Muslim one.

·        The government of the U.S.A. must abstain from violent
retaliation
that can only lead to further escalation and to more killing.

·        The government of Israel must stop taking advantage of the
international numbness and shock to intensify assaults against the
Palestinian people.

  The racist campaign against the Muslim and Arab world, and the war and
terror being launched as the next step, can only stop the hope of
finding
real solutions to the problem of world terror, while  bringing about
more
destruction and death.

  The Coalition of Women for Peace

==========

2

[This was distributed at one of the vigils held on 15 September 2001
Saturday in London, UK}

o o o

The initiatives listed below are the initiative from ARROW  (Active
Resistance to the Roots of War), a non-violent direct action affinity
group
formed in September 1990 to oppose the Gulf War.

JUSTICE NOT VENGEANCE

We mourn the thousands who died in Tuesday's horrific atrocities. Out
thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones in these terrible
crimes.

However, we must not respond to these evil acts by committing evil acts
of
our own. Lashing out militarily is not the answer, and would inevitably
cause deaths of many more people as unconnected with terrorism as were
those who died this week. Rather, we must bring the perpetrators to
justice
in a court of law.

WEEKLY VIGIL

Tuesdays, 6 pm, opposite Downing Street, London. Please come to show
your
opposition to the threatened use of force. This vigil was initiated by
ARROW and is supported by CDN.

EMAIL LIST

An email list for people trying to prevent (and, if necessary, limit)
US/UK
military action in response to the atrocities in New York and
Washington.
To join, please go tot the following website:

ARROW, c/o NVRN, 162 Holloway Road, London N7 8DQ
Phone (44) 020 7607 23 02
Email milanrai at btinternet.com

========

> [...]

>Americans are truly ignorant ("nuke Iran/Afghanistan/Iraq" - "fall down on
>your knees and pray to God, then retaliate").  A few made sense: "Don't
>jump to conclusions, we don't know who did this" - "Put them in jail;
>violence begets violence."  One woman called to point out that the U.S. had

>been bombing Iraq, but C-Span cut her off.  The ignorant were allowed to
>say their piece.
>
>Downtown DC was surreal this morning, as all the federal buildings sent
>their people home.  Otherwise peaceful.
>
>Really worried about our friends in New York.  Please let us know you're
>okay.
>
>Love and forgiveness,
>

>Ellen Thomas
>Proposition One Committee
>PO Box 27217, Washington DC 20038
>202-462-0757 -- fax 202-265-5389
>
>----
>
>5.)
>
>THE GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
>
>MEDIA ADVISORY
>For immediate release:
>Tuesday, September 11, 2001
>
>Contacts:
>Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator
>202-518-5624,
><http://us.f200.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=scottmclarty@yhoo.com&YY=15846&

>order=down&sort=date&pos=0>scottmclarty at yahoo.com
>

>GREENS CONDEMN THE VIOLENT ATTACKS ON NEW YORK, THE
>PENTAGON, AND PENNSYLVANIA
>
>WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Green Party of the United
>States condemns the violent attacks and mass murder at
>the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and near
>Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
>
>Greens offer their sympathy to people affected by the
>attacks, especially those injured, and to the loved
>ones of people killed or injured.
>
>"The Green Party opposes the use of violence for
>political ends, whether by government forces, by
>independent organizations, or by individuals, and we
>call all such tactics counterproductive! ," said Anita
>Rios, Co-Chair of the Green Party and a member of the
>Ohio Greens.
>
>"Whoever and whatever group is behind today's attacks
>have earned the revulsion and condemnation of the
>world, and have set back whatever cause they hoped to
>advance.  We stand with all Americans, and with all
>the peaceful people of the world and grieve."
>
>Greens appeal for a careful response, after
>investigation, from the White House, and insist that
>rash and violent retaliation will only increase the
>loss of life, especially of the innocent.
>
>"Those responsible for these murders are attempting to
>terrorize Americans out of our faith in democracy,"
>said Ben Manski, Green Party Co-Chair and member of
>the Wisconsin Green Party.  "They have crucified
>thousands of civilians in an attempt to intimidate the
>government into clamping down on American freedoms."
>
>"We ask our leaders to be swift and just," added Anita
>Rios.&n! bsp; "We ask that this horror not be compounded by
>the victimization or stigmatization of the innocent."

======

6.

>Statement on the attacks today in the US
>
>DRAFT ONLY
>

>The organisations signed below wish to express their sincere sorrow  for
>the enormous loss of life in the United States today. Our heartfelt
>condolences go out to the families and friends of the victims throughout
>the  world as well as to the American people.
>
>We condemn all acts of  terrorism, whether state sanctioned or the actions
>of individuals or small  groups, as indefensible.
>
>Today's tragic events show us that our current  strategies are not
>effective and do not promote peace. The US with the  assistance of
>Australia has been attempting to construct artificial walls around  its
>nation through schemes such as the National Missile Defence proposal. It is

>clear that no amount of military spending could have created a preventative

>solution to the attacks witnessed by the world today.
>
>We call for a calm  response in the face of this tragedy. The world needs
>to take a deep breath  before taking rash and counterproductive steps in
>retaliation for these attacks.  We call on the international community and
>the Australian people not to allow  this atrocity to increase hatred,
>racial and religious intolerance. We encourage  our leaders to view this as

>an opportunity for Australia to assist the US and  the world in its search
>for peaceful solutions to conflicts.
>
>We add our  voices to those of colleagues around the world who recognise
>that true security  can only be rooted in social and environmental

justice.

>Signed:
>The Wilderness Society
>Earth  Worker
>Friends of Palestine
>Friends of the Earth Australia
>Action for  Peace
>Canberra Program for Peace
>Rev. Ray Richmond, Wayside Chapel, uniting Church in Australia
>Australian AntiBases Campaign Coalition
>Campaign for International Cooperation and Disarmament (CICD)

=======

7.