[Reader-list] BLACK TUESDAY: THE VIEW FROM ISLAMABAD

Rana Dasgupta rana_dasgupta at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 14:56:35 IST 2001

May I protest to the list and to Philip for this kind
of mail (below).

As Menso Heus suggested yesterday, I think the reader
list is not the place for ad hominem attacks of this
kind.  If anyone suspects someone else of being
"psychopathic" can they either keep it to themselves
or advise the relevant person of their concern in
private emails?

My own assumption is that this list is for engaging
with ideas and not the defects of its members'
personalities.  Moreover, it is a place that I come to
because of a presumed openness as to what kind of
ideas are deserving of attention and discussion.

With the diversity of backgrounds and interests of
people on this list it is quite likely - and desirable
- that disagreements will arise.  These are not to be
erased in the name of the same sort of emotional
blackmail that is currently jamming the mainstream
media.  There is no point launching an investigation
of a situation of hatred and vengeance if I/we/you try
to shut it down as soon as I/we/you feel your
interests or your point of view to be offended.

Sorry to waste members' time by stating what I thought
would have been obvious.  But (to quote another list
member, this time in reference to the attached mail):