[Reader-list] BLACK TUESDAY: THE VIEW FROM ISLAMABAD

philip pocock Philip.Pocock at t-online.de
Tue Sep 18 22:58:58 IST 2001

Rana Dasgupta wrote:

> May I protest to the list and to Philip for this kind
> of mail (below).
>
> As Menso Heus suggested yesterday, I think the reader
> list is not the place for ad hominem attacks of this
> kind.  If anyone suspects someone else of being
> "psychopathic" can they either keep it to themselves
> or advise the relevant person of their concern in
> private emails?

you are mixing mails. first i never attacked or flamed menso, although
he may feel that his entry of completely false and hurtful data is
'opinion' one must be vigilant, and you surprise me that you ar enot,
that we remain cool-headed and avoid such tactics that employ falsehood
to cloud a serious, yes serious situation.

i used the term 'psychopathic' for the person posting not an apology but
further cynicism that goes beyond decency, and would be considered a
flame in itself, that person having uttered:

>> what about another more heart-felt one to osama bin for targeting US
and
>> making them angry about terrrorism?"

and i wonder what it should say that such a comment aside from my
objection, a comment i might add, that was a response to my praise of
the islamic republic of pakistan's courage and peace-loving action, has
been digested as acceptable while i must wade through pages of protests
for my simple clear response on levels that are far from flaming.

i am very upset by the remark above and the acceptance of it by the
moderator and members who refuse to comment upon it and instead choose
to castigate me.

if you wish to incubate such discrimination and accept indecency that
surpasses cynicism, tell me straight and i will be more than happy to
desist from your cell. should you wish to be clear and rational and take
the time to check the thread you might return with a more unbiased view
and rethink the target of protest?

it is an interesting problem and i am very curious as to your political
spirit.

i am afraid however as a william burroughs and mohammed ali media theory
fan, that such actions as you take will spiral down and negate the
chance for a world where no pseudo-professional academic or artist or
political pundit can exploit human suffering as a weapon to further some
ideology.

it is my hope that coexistence and tolerance is the choice but you never
know. the tacit acceptance of the 'praise' of bin laden or rather the
trampling of human suffering on this list is a shock to me. and i ask
with such silent acceptance of that, how can one ever believe in a world
bank or world health or world compassion organization?

i still do, because i will point out what is clearly in black and white
a fracture of the decency that basic human rights require for trust and
openness, and object to the hidden agenda in the hypercynical comments
of 'thanks to bin laden for his effect' which i characterized as sick,
why not? , is it not sick?,  why the silence on that?

Instead my objection to that, an objection to posting false news, and an
objection to one's promotion of their art by exploiting suffering and
incorporating fantastical political rhetoric that fuels only mistrust,
intolerance and the impossibility of a 'one world' of co-existing
cultures, has spawned this protest of me today.