[Reader-list] Perceptions on the street.

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Mon Sep 24 11:17:52 IST 2001

Yesterday an `autoriskshaw` driver talking about the recent events
made two comments.
"Bandook, gola, barud aur paise to siyasat ke haath mein hi hote
hai...ise baand karo to mahaul doosra ho" and " Aise mahaul mein
samajh nahin aata paise kharch kare ya jamaye..bara mushkil ho jata
hai"

[ Translation:  "Guns, bombs and money are in the hands of the
rulers... only if these are taken away, will things change" and
"Under the circumstances one does not know whether to consume or save
for the future...it becomes difficult" ]

Television commentators have picked up a new jargon of `global
network of terrorism with cells in different locations` (as if it was
otherwise before!). It will be interesting to map the global network
(and pathways) of armaments that runs parallel to this other network.

If people on reader-list could recount their conversations on the
streets it may provide us an interesting entry point into the present
situation.

On a different note I am enclosing an article that points to an
interesting dimension of `globalisation`.

Chinese Working Overtime to Sew U.S. Flags
By John Pomfret
Washington Post Foreign Service
Thursday, September 20, 2001; Page A14\

SHANGHAI -- As America wraps its wounds in red, white and blue, flag
factories in China are running nonstop to feed the overwhelming
demand in the United States for the Stars and Stripes.
At the Shanghai Mei Li Hua Flags Co., office director Wu Guomin has
received orders for more than 500,000 flags from customers in the
United States in the week since the terrorist attacks in New York and
Washington. "I guess because we make so many of these things you
could say we feel a little closer to the situation there," Wu said as
he fingered an American flag. "We're working day and night."
The Jin Teng Flag Co. in neighboring Zhejiang province reported
orders of 600,000. "It's crazy and very, very sad," said Jin Teng,
the factory owner. "Everyone is on overtime trying to satisfy demand."
Jin and Wu said that even with China's National Day fast approaching
on Oct. 1, they have stopped making Chinese flags so that they can
fill U.S. orders.
"We've been presented with an opportunity to make a lot more money
than we usually do making these flags," said Wu, whose factory sells
medium-size flags to U.S. distributors for about $1 apiece. "But we
won't take it. We really didn't want to make too much of a profit on
other people's sadness."
At the Shanghai plant, Fei Xiaohua, a laborer, was sewing a
6-by-9-foot flag. "This is my 50th so far today," she said, her
fingers working nimbly. "Sometimes I don't like this job. But this
time, what I'm doing seems worth it."
It is unclear what percentage of U.S. flags are made in China, but as
with all textiles, the numbers have boomed in recent years. China
produces more shoes and clothes for the U.S. market than any other
country. In a few years, China will become the biggest producer of
computer parts for the U.S. market as well.
The flag business illustrates the increasingly close trade ties
between China and the United States, valued last year at more than
$100 billion. Those ties are expected to expand with China's imminent
accession to the World Trade Organization (WTO). China moved a giant
step forward toward that goal last weekend when the organization
generally agreed on its conditions for entry.
"WTO should provide a great opportunity for us," said Wu, a suave
44-year-old manager. "Right now, no one around the world can really
compete with us flag makers. We have good machines and rock-bottom
labor costs."
Wu and Jin said they hoped Americans would not mind that Chinese were
making their flags. The manufacture of such patriotic symbols has
caused trouble in the past. Following the April 1 collision of a U.S.
Navy reconnaissance plane and a Chinese jet fighter off China's
southern coast, the Pentagon canceled contracts to outfit Army
soldiers with a "Made in China" black beret.
China, too, has used trade as a lever in relations with Washington,
expressing occasional discontent with U.S. policies by cozying up to
Europe's Airbus Industries instead of Boeing Co. But this time, in
the days following the disaster, as the global airline market
crashed, China repeated its commitment to buy 30 Boeing 737s, making
it one of the world's bright spots for aviation firms.
"We are living in a really global world right now," said Wu. "It's
natural that China manufactures simple things for the whole world. We
have a manufacturing economy."
But Sun Zhenyu, a top trade official, warned today that China's
export growth, a key element in China's economy, will likely face a
serious threat for the remainder of the year, according to the
official New China News Agency. Already, Chinese travel agents are
reporting hundreds of cancellations.
"The U.S. economy is already bad, surely this will affect the global
economy, including China," Sun said.