[Reader-list] Here we go! (or "Encryption? Bad boy!")

Menso Heus menso at r4k.net
Fri Sep 28 17:41:12 IST 2001

BBC Radio interviewed UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, see:

For the original see:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_1568000/1568254.stm

Here is the rough copy & paste:

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw says "naive" campaigners against stronger
internet surveillance laws have hurt the anti-terror fight.
He suggested that with stronger powers, the security services might have
detected some of the 11 suicide hijackers who are now
known to have passed through the UK on their way to the US.

Mr Straw also repeated warnings that prime terrorist suspect Osama Bin
Laden and his followers - whom he compared to the Nazis - could be
planning further outrages.

Working on the basis Bin Laden's al-Qaeda organisation was still intact
"there continues to be a risk of them making further attacks", he told
BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Friday.

"We don't know exactly where. On the one hand, none of us wish to raise
anxiety in the minds of the public, but we would be complacent and
irresponsible not to warn of the risks."

It was Mr Straw's successor as home secretary, David Blunkett, who
disclosed that some of those responsible for the attacks on New York and
Washington could have previously been in the UK.

There is conflicting media speculation about the length of their stay
and whether any associates are still on the loose in Britain. But Mr
Straw reacted forcibly when challenged by Today over why the 11 had gone
undetected.

"Whenever I was arguing in favour of tougher anti-terrorist powers...
I was told that this was a breach of civil liberties, almost that it
was the end of civilisation as we knew it, that it was completely
unnecessary and the beginning of the Big Brother society," he declared.

It wasn't Big Brother government, it was government trying to put in
place increased powers so that we could preserve our democracy against
this new kind of threat

Mr Straw said he tried to give powers to the security services to
de-encrypt commercially encrypted e-mails in case terrorists tried to
use them to communicate with each other.

"What happened? Large parts of the industry, backed by some people who
I think will now recognise they were very naive in retrospect, said:
'You mustn't do that'.

"The pressure was so great that we and the United States... had to back
down a bit.
"Now, I hear people saying 'why were these terrorists here' - well, the
answer is not because of any lapse by the intelligence or security
services or the police, but because people have had a two-dimensional
view of civil liberties.

"The most fundamental civil liberty is the right to life and preserving
that and sustaining that must come before others."

The Confederation of British Industry was one of the groups originally
opposed to Mr Straw's de-encryption proposals.

A spokesman said: "Obviously that debate took place in very different
circumstances from now so we would want to consult members to see if
their views had changed.

"In the end it's about finding a balance between the fight against
terrorism and maintaining the right to privacy for businesses'
commercially sensitive information."

The spokesman stressed British business "completely backs" the government's
fight against terrorism.

The foreign secretary's warning of further attacks by al-Qaeda echoes
Europe Minister Peter Hain, who said on Wednesday that "we are in a
very dangerous situation".

Mr Straw rejected suggestions it might better to open diplomatic
contacts with such groups.

"You can't negotiate with these people.

"The best historical parallel, I'm afraid to say, is with those at the
top of the Nazi regime - it wasn't possible to negotiate with Hitler,
although some people understandably but naively thought that it was."