[Reader-list] language :: software :: art

henk at waag.org henk at waag.org
Tue Apr 9 12:52:25 IST 2002

Hi All,

Found some rather interresting articles about language :: software today:

A unified theory of software evolution: Salon has a nice article today on
Meir Lehman 's work on how software evolves and is developed. Lehman's
investigation of the IBM OS/360 development process became the foundation
for Brooks' Law: "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it
later." He is hopeful that his work will make software development less of
an art and more of an engineering science."

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/04/08/lehman/print.html

The second article is from Larry Wall, the Perl-wierdo, whom i like to see a
responce from to this first article :-)

"When I started writing Perl, I'd actually been steeped in enough
postmodernism to know that that's what I wanted to do. Or rather, that I
wanted to do something that would turn out to be postmodern, because you
can't actually do something postmodern, you can only really do something
cool that turns out to be postmodern. Hmm. Do I really believe that? I
dunno. Maybe. Sometimes. You may actually find this difficult to believe,
but I didn't actually set out to write a postmodern talk. I was just going
to talk about how Perl is postmodern. But it just kind of happened. So you
get to see all the ductwork.

http://www.wall.org/~larry/pm.html

And finally (if perl doesn't look like language-art to you), there's The
Shakespeare Programming Language:
http://shakespearelang.sourceforge.net/report/shakespeare/

grtz,
henk