[Reader-list] On Free Speech

pratap pandey pnanpin at yahoo.co.in
Fri Apr 12 02:38:09 IST 2002

Dear all,

vis-a-vis Shuddha's usual brilliant insights, what
about laughter?

In his schema for free speech, there is no place for
even a snigger.

Is laughter a responsible...what? emotion? reaction?
cause? effect? Laughter is a responsible...what?

The problem, that Shuddha's write-up eminently
displays, is that laughter is considered to be outside
the realm of "talk". It is considered an onomatopoeic
experience. As such, it is a rhetorical experience. It
is merely a rhetorical, and by extension, a
not-meta-physical experience. Laughter is a perception
that exists outside the supreme centre of Perception:
the "mind".

One "dissolves" in laughter. One "breaks out" in
laughter. One "helplessly" laughs. One
"uncontrollably" laughs.

Laughter exists outside "free speech". "Speech",
however "free", cannot by its nature countenance
laughter, for laughter signals a different perceptual
regime.

A different perceptual regime, not a less responsible
one.

Is this why it is difficult to write satire?

pp

--- Shuddhabrata Sengupta <shuddha at sarai.net> wrote: >
Dear all on the Readers List,

> I have been following with some interest the textual
> duel between the learned
> professors Pandey and Saint, and find myself in
> sympathy with Neel  (or is it
> Slumbug) who says,
>
> "but I hope we all talk, at least some of you will
> with me, so that my
> ‘doubts’ as to what really constitutes freedom, the
> civil society...
> much more could get a little clarified. "
>
> And I am totally in agreement with Monica who has
> pointed out that free
> speech brings with itself its own set of
> responsibilites.
>
> Although I have  found the learned Professor
> Pandey's tone a tad strident on
> occasion, I do not agree that a statement that some
> may consider offensive is
> sufficient reason for anyone to be asked to leave or
> lapse into silence. A
> caveat, it is equally important, as Monica has
> pointed out, that we take the
> task of writing seriously, and do not make any
> flippantly personal remarks,
> especially about people who are not in a position to
> respond because they are
> not on the list...
>
> There have been earlier debats, or hints of a
> debate, on speech, silence, and
> the valuation of speech. I remember , in the wake of
> my posting in the first
> week of March on Arundhati Roy's conviction for
> contempt of court, Pradip
> Saha asking whether free speech was more important
> than access to water, and
> Joy Chatterjee asking about the value of silence.
> Later, when the silence on
> the list prompted Gayatri Chatterjee to ask us all
> to reflect on why we were
> silence, the same questions returned again.
>
> Clearly, March is the month for thinking about Free
> Speech.
>
> And so, I have tried to summarize some of my
> thoughts about what it means to
> speak freely. This is in the form of an essay that
> is to be published
> elsewhere, but I would like to post this for all
> your responses and I hope,
> freely offered criticisms. It is kind of long, so
> please be patient and read
> till the end.
>
> Cheers
>
> Shuddha

> On the Freedom to Speak the Things that Cannot be
> Said Easily
> Shuddhabrata Sengupta
>
> I would like to speak of a few things that cannot be
> said easily.
>
> A society that proscribes and censors audio-visual
> and written material, bans
> books and publications, that blocks television
> channels, removes works of art
> from galleries, prohibits or limits free
> broadcasting on radio, that rubber
> stamps maps and atlases and sends writers to prison
> for their writing, even
> if for a day, is not a free society.
>
> A society that has laws that provide for the
> interception of private
> [...]
=== message truncated ===