[Reader-list] Slander Match, 2nd innings

pratap pandey pnanpin at yahoo.co.in
Fri Apr 12 03:49:53 IST 2002

Hey Tarun,

You say you received "an unsigned communication from
pp". What the hell does that mean? Either the
"communication" is "unsigned" or it is from "pp".
What are you saying, yaar?

The core issue is NOT "attribution of motives and
slander directed at someone not able to defend herself
in this public forum". Don't turn a technicality into
a core issue. YOU posted the poem. So YOU are also
part of the textual web of the poem. I responded to
YOUR posting.

The core issue is the insistent excoriation of the
Partition question among the global eaducated Indian
community. This community keeps the Partition alive.
It stokes the fires of an incitement towards "rift".
It utilises a spiral into the abyss of an unresolved
"rift" (the Partition question) to constantly
reproduce that "rift" via the tropes of nostalgia and
memory.

Why keep a "rift" alive, Tarun? Should we keep alive
"the complexity of the experiential
> situation of Punjabi migrant families affected by
> Partition, then further afflicted by the 1984 riots
and recently Sept. 11" (please notice the
sentimentality of this sentence), or should we
jettison the Partition as Logos of being "Indian" and
try and find new ways of being "Hindustani"?

The poem you posted made me mad. Such a nostalgic
piece of prose. It assumes that if Gujarat happens,
there should be silence. It belongs to a discourse
within which the VHP president, delivering a speech at
MIT, eloquently quotes the Gita to prove that what
happened in Gujarat was a just reaction to Godhra.

What is more important, Sept 11 or Gujarat? Difficult
question, even I don't know the answer to that.

A VHP president can appropriate the nostalgia of the
poem and utilise it to create more rift. The poem is
an extension of that "ethnic" ethic. What then is the
use of such nostalgia? What purpose does this memory
serve?

I think that NRIs are as responsible for propping up a
fascist political formation in India, and so holding
civil society to ransom, as are the VHP and the
Bajrang Dal (who only promise poor village and slum
youths of a complete future). Hence the "vicious and
ugly" "satire".

Is this "anarchy without responsibility"?

The "facile reduction of the statement made in the
poem For Papa to petty issues of tenure politics" is a
generic demand. Recognise that, please. That's a
standard satiric strategy, applied. That's
"mock-heroic" discourse. Remember Pope?

Don't be "disappointed". That makes you morally
superior. You have no right to be disappointed. Get
angry, man!

Yes, Suvir ran away from Khalsa, and not HIndu. My
mistake (don't be hyperbolic and say: "lamentable
ignorance of their background and training"). But he
did run away. Because he couldn't do what he wanted
to, over here, within Indian academia. You have
completely misread that portion of my posting, or have
chosen to do so ("Furthermore, by attributing motives
to senior academics who spent many years in Delhi
university before making the difficult decision to
shift to the USA"...).

Stop being so uptight, man! What is this crap about
"attributing motives to senior academics" and so on
and so forth? They went abroad because they couldn't
stay here, they felt "puny" and "frustrated". I am not
blaming them. Why are you defending them? Who are you
to be defensive about them? What are you defending?
DU?

Tarun, I don't need to be "unmasked". Please. Don't
make me a more complicated person than I am. And if I
wanted to "leap down others' throats" (do you mean
you?), I would have done it in a different way. I
didn't want to leap down Jyotsna's throat (poor
Illinois lamb). I did want to leap down the throat of
the poem (if you can call it that -- if this is what
Indian-American academics consider a poem to be, then
sad scene, man! You and I could write any tripe and be
published!), and rip it apart.

Tarun, please re-join the list. Just because I have
assholic opinions doesn't mean the entire List has
assholic opinins. Why are you blackmailing the List? I
don't understand this. It seems as if the List is
"guilty" for posting my postings, and so the List
should be punished.

As I said, kick my ass. Don't withdraw from the list.

yours with a wink,
pp

--- tarunksaint <tarunksaint at sify.com> wrote: > Hi
there,