[Reader-list] gujarat today: first person account

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Tue Apr 16 18:08:35 IST 2002

Dear All

I have brought this from another list. But it needs to be read, and
as the writer - Shabnam Hashmi - writes at the bottom, the silence
needs to be broken.

Monica
------------------------------

  Date: 15 Apr 2002 16:49:21 -0000
    From: "shankar chandra" <shankarchandra at rediffmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: 17 April PROTEST MARCH

this was written by Shabnam Hashmi, the wife of film-maker Gauhar
Raza who was shooting a film in gujrat. please circulate it to as
many people as you can to show that we can, that we will unite in
protest against
fascism. let us break the silence.
shankar.

>Gauhar bhai, jab mera beta akele bahar jata hai, main use nazar bhar
>ke dekh leta hoon, he said as we were leaving. The atmosphere was
>very tense, we knew it was not safe on the roads but we couldn't tear
>away ourselves from him. Educated, refined, sensitiveŠ
>
>He talked to us for over two hours. He broke down a number of times,
>apologised and started crying again. His house was not burnt, no life
>was lost in his family. And no one asked him if he was alive, not
>even close friendsŠ
>
>The city is full of traffic. An old acquaintance tells me normalcy is
>returning.
>
>Gauhar is recording at the studio in a market place, my 15 year old
>son, Sahir, has run out of film rolls, we go to a shop and buy rolls.
>We see the cameraman, going towards the car. Sahir asks me : where is
>abbu? In the middle of the returned normalcy the shopkeeper loudly
>repeats the word Abbu. I ask Sahir to run to the car and I run
>upstairs to see if Gauhar is still in the studio. He has left. By the
>time I climb down, the shopkeeper is talking to someone on the phone.
>I hear clearly, "the boy said abbu, must be Muslims". I run to the
>car, Gauhar is standing outside; I push him inside and tell the
>driver to immediately start.
>
>Two Muslim kids are not so lucky. They dare to come to CG Road to eat
>at a fast food joint. Surrounded and beaten up, they somehow escape
>leaving the car behind.
>
>They have defied the VHP's ten commandments, which asks all Hindutva
>followers not to buy anything from a Muslim shopkeeper and not to
>sell anything from their shop to such elements!
>
>Yes, normalcy has returned to Modi's Gujarat.
>
>Mujib bhai informs us that there are 10,200 people in the Aman Chowk
Camp.

>His eyes are absolutely expression less and defocused, he is not
>looking at us but stares somewhere in the distance-they removed all
>her clothes and raped my aunt, my nani tried to save her, they
>chopped her hands and then burnt them aliveŠhe is only seven and is
>from Naroda Patiya.
>
>There used be regular RSS shakhas in their village-they were from
Mehsana.

--
Monica Narula
Sarai:The New Media Initiative