[Reader-list] Very sad news

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Wed Apr 24 21:01:56 IST 2002

Dear all

I have the saddest news to share. Nishit Saran whose postings we all
read and appreciated, died in a car accident in Delhi last night. He,
and all the other four people in the car, died immediately in a
head-on collision with a truck.

Nishit was a documentary filmmaker,  and was deeply involved in the
campaign against the criminalization of gays and lesbians by section
377 of the Indian Penal code. Nishit spoke about the way in which the
law is used to harass sexual minorities in Delhi  during "This Year,
This City" a public conversation at Sarai to celebrate the launch of
the Sarai Reader 02.

The incisiveness, passion and humour that Nishit brought to his
commitment to free speech is something that this list will remain
indebted to.

list admin
--
Monica Narula