[Reader-list] Hey Ram

Shekhar Krishnan kshekhar at bol.net.in
Thu Apr 25 16:09:34 IST 2002

Dear Rehan:

I am happy that someone is being more sensitive to the content of Hey
Ram and its explorations of the extremist imagination, rather than
spending time wondering about the position of the film-maker with
regard to his work.

I found Hey Ram a deeply disturbing, ambiguous, and compelling film,
one of the best treatments of extremist subjectivity I have seen in a
while. I would however disagree that Hasan does not portray Gandhi as
he actually was, in which context you mention Attenborough's film.
The Gandhi portrayed in Hey Ram, enacted by Naseeruddin Shah, is both
the Gandhi vilified by the Hindu Right, as well as by many other
critical discourses within the nationalist tradition. Did anyone ever
notice that Naseeruddin Shah plays the same wily bania Gandhi in
Jabbar Patel's Ambedkar, a film released within a year of Hey Ram? Or
that Gandhi was also portrayed in similar terms in Jinnah?

I remember a conversation that we had at SARAI last year, when the
discussion of Hey Ram came up. I thought it might be good to look at
Hey Ram against these other films, Ambedkar and Jinnah, to understand
what Ravi Vasudevan was saying about submerged discourses within
nationalism which are now finding public articulation. It would be a
shame if we didn't listen to these more closely.

Shekhar
_____

Shekhar Krishnan
9, Supriya, 2nd Floor