[Reader-list] Boycott Microsoft

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Apr 26 18:25:01 IST 2002

Dear all on the Reader List

There are several reasons to boycott the Microsoft Corporation and its
products. Here is one more. Read on.

(this was posted on to the Undercurrents mailing list by Ana Valdes)

Shuddha

____________________________

Mr. Bill Gates
Chairman and Chief Software Architect
c/o Microsoft

Dear Sir,
Two days ago, Israelis travelling on the main highways in the Tel-Aviv area
were treated to enormous billboards bearing the Microsoft logo under the text
"From the depth of our heart - thanks to The Israeli Defence Forces"
on the background of the Israeli national flag.

Microsoft is a major worldwide and world-famous corporation,  whose
activities overstep national boundaries and which is committed to promote
global community, increasing trade, and stronger economic relationships and
culturalinteraction; which takes pride in promoting extensive community
activities of various kinds, and declares on its website  "We're serious
about making the world a better place"; and which maintains offices and
conducts active sales campaigns in Israel as well as at  Egypt, Morocco,
Dubai, Indonesia, Malaysia and other Arab and Islamic countires.  In view of
the above, better could have been expected of Microsoft than  disseminating
crude nationalistic and militaristic propaganda at the Israeli population
centers,  and effectively lend its public support to the destructive war
recently launched by the Sharon Government -  a war sharply censured by the
international community and controversial  among the citizens of Israel its
elf.  We urge you to take care that this activity is terminated forthwith,
and that the estimated tens of thousands of dollars invested in the
abovementioned  billboards be used instead to activities aimed  at stopping
the bloodshed and promotoing and equitable Israeli-Palestinian peace.

 Sincerely Yours,
 Adam Keller, Spokesperson
 Gush Shalom (The Israeli Peace Bloc)