[Reader-list] Dharna

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Sun Apr 28 13:02:52 IST 2002

dear Tarun,

It will be a mistake (and a great blunder) to stop discussing and debating in
name of unity and fear of balkanisation.

Conversations between known and strangers brings with it multiplying
mulitiplicity of voices and perspectives, and this is what power is always
uncomfortable with. Managers in workplaces are very weary of many workers
talking simulteanously, they desperately search for spokespersons., it is the
need of management. In schools we are made to internalise this self
destructive logic.

Power (all kinds of power) likes unified/ unity driven points of view because
it is very easy to counter it. Actually I would say that demands for unity
are very lethal and destroys the critical impulses, transgressive and
dissident subjectivity, and most importantly stops heresies from being
articulated. Tarun, i seriously think that `Ekta` based thoughts and
practices are big `full stops` to thinking. And thought is all that we are at
present left with.

My problem with critiques of Gandhi or analyses from within the frame of
`communal violence` is that the discussion will lead to a dead end. Geneology
of Gujrat is not there. These entry points stops us from asking hard
political economic questions about the contemporary and reduces the arguments
into a moralist - culturalistist framework. What is the relations between
`claims and consolidation to/of power` and `organised pogroms` needs to be
understood outside the `cultural` framework.

Maybe we should look carefully through the `Eichmann Trials`, look at making
of the `banality of evil` and then further making of  `more banality of evil`
riding on `earlier banalities`.

Pratap's posting - 'Why Gujarat makes me happy' (Wed, 24 Apr 2002) actually
moves the discussion towards a very significant plane. It should be read and
argued. (I am yet to fully absorb the import of his arguments).

best
Jeebesh

PS: has anybody realised the gap betweeen demonstrations are decreasing very
fast. And they are all on different events and after events. Interesting!